Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Walkman brand doesn't guarantee music quality. Beware of buying SE W800.

Author Walkman brand doesn't guarantee music quality. Beware of buying SE W800.
i-am-andrew
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-10 18:56
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Responding to a previous question I recently bought the W810i and this appears to suffer from the same problems of hiss/distortion as described. There is a small hiss present whenever a sound is played which continues for some time after the application (walkman or radio is closed). I might be able to accept this. However, there is additional hiss/distortion in the playback of audio files, either mp3 or wav files. This is more noticeable at lower volumes and for quieter music, including at the end of most tracks. At lower volumes, the hiss/distortion can dominate and ruin the music.

Playing back the exact same audio files on the computer in Windows Media Player gives a clear sound quality, even using the headphones supplied with the phone.

In addition, the radio produces very clear sound that does not suffer from the additional distortion. So I suspect a software issue related to the playback of audio files is at fault.

I have been in contact with SE about the problem and at present they are recommending I send the phone to a service center. However, it looks to me as if this is a design issue, not a manufacturing problem. So as yet, I haven't decided what to do about the problem. It's very dissappointing as I intend to listen to music at non-loud volumes.

I would be interested to know of other W810i users who have noticed the same problems.
revve
K810 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-05-11 10:06
Well, count me in i-am-andrew, god I'm really disappointed with SE in this. A real f**k up if you ask me. I love this phone and everything about it, but it's most likely that I will buy the rokr E2 when it is being released.
I too listen to music at low level volumes, and it feels like the whole musical experience is lost with the hissing constantly present.

[ This Message was edited by: revve on 2006-05-11 09:07 ]
kristianm
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-11 10:33
Quote:

On 2006-05-10 18:56:00, i-am-andrew wrote:
Responding to a previous question I recently bought the W810i and this appears to suffer from the same problems of hiss/distortion as described. There is a small hiss present whenever a sound is played which continues for some time after the application (walkman or radio is closed). I might be able to accept this. However, there is additional hiss/distortion in the playback of audio files, either mp3 or wav files. This is more noticeable at lower volumes and for quieter music, including at the end of most tracks. At lower volumes, the hiss/distortion can dominate and ruin the music.

Playing back the exact same audio files on the computer in Windows Media Player gives a clear sound quality, even using the headphones supplied with the phone.

In addition, the radio produces very clear sound that does not suffer from the additional distortion. So I suspect a software issue related to the playback of audio files is at fault.

I have been in contact with SE about the problem and at present they are recommending I send the phone to a service center. However, it looks to me as if this is a design issue, not a manufacturing problem. So as yet, I haven't decided what to do about the problem. It's very dissappointing as I intend to listen to music at non-loud volumes.

I would be interested to know of other W810i users who have noticed the same problems.

And here I am planning to have my W800i replaced by W810i, but apparently even W810i has the hissing noise problem!

I really do not understand why, when W550 and W900 don't suffer from this hissing at all!
jack77777
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2006-05-11 17:23
im so glad i bought k750i
15% online - Sony Ericsson - "4 lyf"
shaliron
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2006-05-12 11:33
I find it insulting that althogh SE acknowledge the problem, they won't just take out the simple cause of the problem in the new firmware. Just bad service TBH
A wooden spoon is a spoon made from wood. Source: Wikipedia

Winner of: Best Thread (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Post (Huge SE Portfolio) 2007, Best Signature 2007, and 2nd Best Nickname 2007.
rockygali
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-12 11:41
bad after sales service indeed. i think theyre too busy preparin the release of those brand new phones... disregarding the value of after-sales service.

too busy competing... which is again contrary to marketing which supposedly has to include after sales service in market competition... product quality, quantity, after sales, continuity that kinda stuff....

online and OTA services are only fit to those average to advance tech literates. SE is sumthin like a DIY kit... rather than a buy-and-go kits.
if you know wot i mean.
"Darkness is the absence of light.. and not the opposite..."
MindStorm
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-12 12:47
Same goes for my W810i - that noise is really present. And so it was on my w800i I hade before too...
It's all in your mind - MindStorm

Owner of a Nokia N95 and Sony Ericsson P990i
Marcus_129
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-05-12 13:13
I recomend all of you to call your local customer care center and tell the support guy that you want him to send a request to the programmers to fix this problem. If more people from SE tells you this will never be fixed, then contact as many newspapers you can and hope that they prints it.
zaphodz
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-16 17:14
I've got the w810i.

I get an annoying hissing sound on playing mp3s - most noticeable when listening at low volume (1 volume bar). This doesn't happen with the radio.

I encoded some music in aac format and oddly enough the hissing seemed much less / almost gone. I'll test it some more as I'm away from my own computer right now...
docmagoo2
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-16 19:31
my advice - buy an ipod
i-am-andrew
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-16 22:30
Quote:

On 2006-05-16 17:14:41, zaphodz wrote:
I encoded some music in aac format and oddly enough the hissing seemed much less / almost gone.

It's interesting that you found that. I also tried producing a m4a file using iTunes for the same CD track that I had also made a mp3 and a wav file (at the highest quality the w810i will handle). They all sounded exactly the same. Maybe it depends on the track.

[ This Message was edited by: i-am-andrew on 2006-05-16 21:31 ]
winterlord22
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-05-16 22:45
Hy yall, I haven't read all the threads so I don't know If this question has been answered. I have a problem with my new w800. I convert a video file to .mp4 and I copy it to my memory stick. It starts playing the music but there is only a redish background. I really don't know what to do. Plz ppl if you can help me please post.
kristianm
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-05-17 06:18
Why don't we bombard SE with complaint emails about this until they decide to fix it once and for all?

The thought of a Walkman phone with poor music quality due to hissing noise is just plain silly.
uranusII
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-05-18 07:53
>My question to anyone who already has de w810i: is hissing noise
> audible in this new model ?

My newly bought W810i has it and I am very disappointed. I will return it to the shop to have it fixed, but with little hope though.
I am really annoyed, otherwise I love the device very much.
mongoose3800
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-05-18 08:18
Having played with someones W810 I can say that the same hissing/static sounds are there.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi