Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > W800 Walkman Player hissing noise problem: software or hardware?

123  Next
Author W800 Walkman Player hissing noise problem: software or hardware?
kristianm
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-21 10:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
SE hasn't affirmed nor denied if this problem is firmware-related. I've emailed them twice about this problem and all they can say is that I bring the phone to a service centre to be checked.

I had not this problem before with R1L002; only after upgrading to R1NA005, then to R1AA008, and now to R1BC002, I've been having this audible hiss noise whenever the Walkman player starts, and it gets louder/more audible when playing soft music/song (piano, classical, etc.)

If it's firmware-related, I don't get it why other W800s apparently don't have this problem (says other W800 users here). And I'm positively sure it's not the MP3 files. I've tested the very same mp3s in my PC, and my siblings' W550 and W900 and they don't have any hissing noise at all.

rockygali
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-21 10:09
IMHO, i would like to assume that its from a bad batch of W800, only some experience this hissing... even i dont have it with my K750... so i might say its a hardware thingy.
"Darkness is the absence of light.. and not the opposite..."
scorpiosb
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-21 10:19
i too experience the hissin after upgradin to R1N from R1L, but didnt update after that waiting for others to comment whether the hissing has been minimized in the later fws, but hell no, they havent fixed that part yet and i dont think they will be, but hearing some of the k750 users sayin that the hissin has been eliminated, i thought wow, finally its gone, but later its not gone, so i am stickin with R1N, and no more updatin till they get this hissin and static noises fixed.

this has been posted before by me when R1AA was out:

Dear JP,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, thank you for your feedback regarding the firmware we have released for your Sony Ericsson W800i. With firmware version R1AA008, we have not experienced the issues you have described. Please try updating your handset through our online update service, located on our website under the support page for the Sony Ericsson W800i. Once you have done this please reply with the results. If your handset still experiences the same sound quality issue, this may be due to the source of the sound/video clips. Try the play back of these clips on a PC that does not use background noise reduction software on playback. This will help you identify if the recordings are of poor quality. Please note sound/video clips taken outside may include a certain amount of background noise that will sound like hiss interference. This is most likely not interference but noise from air passing over the microphone (wind).
IF this advice does not help resolve these issues, please contact us on **** *** *** so one of our agents can advise you of our warranty repair service.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again for further help and support.

For more information on our products and services, please feel free to visit our website at www.sonyericsson.com

www.sonyericsson.com/fun
Register now for great content and fantastic Web and WAP Services.

Kind Regards,
Matthews

and now I wait for a better decent reply for my mail i mailed SE today.
RSantos
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-21 12:45
Just want u to know that i have exactly the same hissing noise on my W800. When i bought it, it came with R1N035 and it was impossible for me to listen to music at low volume because of the noise (or sound artifacts has i like to call it). I updated it to R1a008, if it improved the noise issue it wasnt very noticeable. With under one month i returned to the store where had i bought it i tried another W800 to check if i had a faulty mobile.The other phone did exactly the same, like yours does. I was anxious about this new firmware R1BC02 because K750 users claimed it was the end of hissing noise.... not for me it wasnt.
Its gotten much better/less audible when when u just open the media player. But when i press play while listening to soft tone music at low volume the artifacts are all there.
I guess this firmware did bring some improvements overall, but my main concern is about the walkman feature and without a clean sound i dont think i will ever get a true "Walkman phone".
Perhaps in next firmware if it ever released....

A friend of mine has a k750 with R1L002.... damn thats something.. cristal clean sound. With to proper label this would truly be a walkman phone...
scorpiosb
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-21 13:10
i had the R1L when i bought the phone, the default firmware when it was released, the sound was good, everything was good, except the camera as everybody knows, so i updated for a better camera(R1N), all in all u lose one and u gain one, big mistake!! but i am now adjusted to it that i dont bother much abt, put it in high volume and enjoy the music, my wait for the next firmware continues, if it might come, who knows??
kristianm
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-22 07:04
And so my phone is now with the service center.

scorpiosb, any update regarding the new email you sent to SE Online Support?

[ This Message was edited by: kristianm on 2006-03-22 06:18 ]
risbac
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-22 10:31
I have also this problem.
As soon as I launch the mediaplayer, I can hear this noise. It's clearly not related to my files, as I hear it without reading anything.

But but but what really surprised me was that I don't have this noise anymore with another headset! I have it with another Sony headset (same brand, coincidence???), but with another headset, I don't have any noise, it's crystal clear. Same on my computer, if I plug one of my two Sony headsets, I have a noise all the time, pretty annoying. If I plug the other headset, I don't... This third headset is a cheap one, maybe it's just not good enough to render this noise. But I will try to find another one and do more testing. Also, did someone try to connect the w800i to his computer, record the output, and check about the noise? That would be another interesting info.
marcrp
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-22 10:39
I too have the hissing noise and it starts hissing as soon as you open the media player. I have a spare headset at home and will try with that, however the hissing is still there even with no headset connected and the media player open which hiss's through the speaker.
rockygali
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-22 10:53
i guess this hissing is really a part of the noise reduction agent present in the media player... i dunno how to explain it but i guess some of our audio experts here know the better..

ive heard the hissing on a W800 which is in display over here at manila, philippines (glorietta concept shop). ive heard this hissing using a big headsets.. and boi you can easily here the hiss while playing music. well i guess some W800 has it.. some hasnt...
"Darkness is the absence of light.. and not the opposite..."
syxxpacc
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-22 15:25
Quote:

On 2006-03-22 10:53:08, rockygali wrote:
i guess this hissing is really a part of the noise reduction agent present in the media player... i dunno how to explain it but i guess some of our audio experts here know the better..

ive heard the hissing on a W800 which is in display over here at manila, philippines (glorietta concept shop). ive heard this hissing using a big headsets.. and boi you can easily here the hiss while playing music. well i guess some W800 has it.. some hasnt...

guess its my 2nd visit this week to the service damn if i have payed a lot of money one a good phone i expect it to be a perfect phone but damn, with all those bugs and stuff it just makes me sad
scorpiosb
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-23 05:37
kristianm, well it has been 2 days i sent the email to SE support, but no damn reply, they must be scratchin their heads to give a good answer, how many days will it take for them to repair and send u back the phone m8. let us know what the service center has told u abt the issue.

what i have noted is that it might not be a hardware issue (personal opinion) coz if i downgrade to R1L i will get hiss free music and all, but will lose the camera, this all started when the R1N came out, how can one expect his/her phone hardware being faulty after upgradin to R1N, as u can see in my email posted above it clearly says its software related but I have told SE support that all the music was ripped using their Disc2phone s/w, and thats when they kept mum abt the topic and said they will be releasing a new f/w which apparently has not solved the problem.

what abt the ppl who have converted their k750 to w800 s/w? do they also have this hissing issues even with the latest w800 f/w?
Jolitorax
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-03-23 09:13
At work I buy loads of cellphones for my colleagues, and personally I've used P900 and several K750's throughout the last year, even a Siemens M75. I have a bunch of MP3 files ripped from CD's, which I've copied to the Memory Stick Duo of the P900, the RSMMC-card of the M75 and the 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro that I have used in the K750's.

This week I bought five W800 phones, and opened one to test for myself. I loaded it with the 1GB Memory Stick Duo Pro taken from the K750, and suddenly the music was all crap! Very audible hissing sound on every sound clip. Of course most audible with soft music on low volume.

This is definitely a bug in the W800 phone. My experience proves it has nothing to do with the MP3 files, because the same files are crystal clear in the both the K750, the P900 and the Siemens M75.

My W800-phones are at R1AA008, I'll try to upgrade one of them later. If that doesn't help the W800's are going back to where they came from. A phone promoted as a "walkman phone", specially tailored for great music experience, should OF COURSE have the best sound quality, not sound like CRAP!
kristianm
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-23 10:34
^^ Initially, I also thought that it's a firmware problem, but what worries me is SE's denial of it being firmware-related (see scorpiosb's first post), which means they won't fix it thru firmware if they won't acknowledge it's FW-related.

Have you tried testing your MP3s on all W800 phones you bought?

[ This Message was edited by: kristianm on 2006-03-23 09:37 ]
bbjuju
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-03-23 18:02
Now I know what you guys meant by hissing noise. I didn't notice it because I am always in a noisy environment and always turn the volume to the highest. Just now (well, it's midnight) when I tried the walkman again, and on low volume (4 bars and below) and I heard the hissing noise. My mp3 collection is all classical and soft music. So, the hissing noise is pretty noticeable when the music is low (pp, in musical term)and it seems to go away when the music is loud (ff, in musical term), even the walkman's volume is set at 3 bars.
kristianm
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-24 03:44
Yes, higher volume tends to drown the hissing noise, which makes it unnoticeable.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi