Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > New Apple Products (Intel Mac mini, iPod hi-fi + more)

Author New Apple Products (Intel Mac mini, iPod hi-fi + more)
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-28 20:04
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Intel Mac mini

Apple today unveiled a new Intel-based Mac mini. The new system runs on the Intel core duo processor. "Apple Chief Executive Steve Jobs said the new Mac mini with a single core Intel chip was as much as three times faster than the previous version," reports Reuters. "He also said the Mac mini with an even more powerful dual core Intel chip was nearly five times as fast as the previous version." The report goes on to note: "Jobs said the single core Mac mini sells for £449 while the machine with the dual core chip retails for £599."

The redesigned Mac mini features gigabit Ethernet, a total of four USB 2.0 ports, analog and SPDIF audio outputs and more.

“And, of course, you can also hook it up to televisions,” Jobs told the audience. It’s been widely speculated that Apple might use today’s event to introduce a Mac model with better home entertainment integration.

In the Box
Mac mini
Apple Remote
Power cord
Install/restore DVDs
Printed and electronic documentation

Processor and memory
1.5GHz Intel Core Solo or 1.66GHz Intel Core Duo processor
2MB on-chip L2 cache
667MHz frontside bus
512MB of 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) on two DIMMs; supports up to 2GB
Size and weight
Height: 2 inches (5.08 cm)
Width: 6.5 inches (16.51 cm)
Depth: 6.5 inches (16.51 cm)
Weight: 2.9 pounds (1.31 kg)
Peripheral connections
One FireWire 400 port (8 watts)
Four USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps)

Graphics and Video Support
Intel GMA950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory1
DVI video output to support digital resolutions up to 1920 by 1200 pixels; supports 20-inch Apple Cinema Display and 23-inch Apple Cinema HD Display; supports coherent digital displays up to 154MHz; supports noncoherent digital displays up to 135MHz
VGA video output (using included adapter) to support analog resolutions up to 1920 by 1080 pixels
S-video and composite video output to connect directly to a TV or projector (using Apple DVI to Video Adapter, sold separately)

Communications
Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet (RJ-45 connector)
Built-in 54-Mbps AirPort Extreme wireless networking (based on 802.11g standard)
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate (EDR) up to 3 Mbps
Optional external Apple USB Modem
Audio
Built-in speaker
Combined optical digital audio input/audio line in (minijack)
Combined optical digital audio output/headphone out (minijack)

The new Mac mini, like its iMac sibling, features Front Row, an application that makes it possible to view movies, listen to audio, watch music videos and more from your Mac, in full-screen, using an infrared remote control from across the room. The Mac mini now sports an infrared sensor in the front of the Mac min, next to the machine’s optical disk drive slot.

As demonstrated by Jobs, Front Row now has a new feature — the ability to support shared music libraries accessible through iTunes. So using Front Row, you can listen to the contents of other machines running iTunes on the same subnetwork. It works similarly with shared albums using iPhoto, and shared videos.

The Mac mini appears physically the same as it did before, but it’s 2.5x faster on integer calculations and 3.2x faster in floating point calculations than its predecessor (using the same benchmarks Apple offers for the iMac and MacBook Pro), thanks to the inclusion of the new Intel Core Solo CPU. For the Core Duo models, it’s 4.8x faster in integer calculations and 5.5x times faster in floating point calculations on those same tests.

The updated Front Row application is also being offered to users of other Macs running Front Row — Jobs is calling it “Front Row with Bonjour,” Apple’s nomenclature for zero-configuration networking.

iPod hi-fi

It’s a three-driver system in one unit featuring an iPod dock on top. An auxiliary input rests in the back of the iPod Hi-Fi if you have an iPod shuffle. The device also ships with inserts designed to accommodate virtually all of Apple’s dockable iPod models.

Built-in handles let you tote the system around — it’s white and rectangular, and features a black grille on the front of the speakers. The power supply itself is integrated, so there’s no bulky external brick feeding juice to the unit. And it can run on batteries — six D cells, in fact. The speaker system includes two 80 millimeter (mm) mid-range drivers with a sealed acoustic suspension and a 130mm dual voice coil woofer featuring a ported bass reflex design, inside a sealed resin enclosure.

“We get great bass out of this thing and it doesn’t distort when you crank it up,” said Jobs.

Apple has updated the iPod’s software to accommodate the new speaker system — a new software update will add a “Speaker” menu to the iPod’s interface, allowing users to adjust tone control, control the backlight and turn on large album art.

What’s more, the iPod Hi-Fi can be controlled with the Apple Remote. It can also accept input through an auxiliary jack and SPDIF optical audio input.

The iPod Hi-Fi goes on sale today for £249.

Apple Leather Case for iPod

Stylish, sophisticated protection

Help protect your iPod or iPod nano from dust and scratches with Apple's Leather Case. It features a slim, form-fitting design that maintains its shape and a soft microfiber interior that ensures a snug, secure fit when your iPod is inside.

Removing your iPod is a breeze, thanks to an ingenious black ribbon built into the case. Just give it a gentle tug and your iPod slides out gracefully, just enough for you to view the screen or pull it out completely.

Apple Leather Case for iPod nano £69.00
Apple Leather Case for iPod (30GB) £69.00
Apple Leather Case for iPod (60GB) £69.00

[ This Message was edited by: JoolsG4 on 2006-02-28 19:28 ]
Glenny
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-28 20:58
Quote:

On 2006-02-28 20:04:42, JoolsG4 wrote:
Apple Leather Case for iPod nano £69.00
Apple Leather Case for iPod (30GB) £69.00
Apple Leather Case for iPod (60GB) £69.00

[ This Message was edited by: JoolsG4 on 2006-02-28 19:28 ]

thats a rip off! i wouldnt pay £69, thank god for 3rd partys! that mac mini looks good, ive always wanted to try out a mac, never been on one. Ive always been sick of viruses spyware and crashes on my windows
Lost Count Official Website My Band! and the forum for it!
404'd!
Jesus loves you, but everyone else hates you...
haynesycop
Z800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-28 21:32
£69

My eyes lit up when i saw that leather case then i saw the price
kk.226
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-28 22:12
Any Idea if the "Menu" feature of the remote wil work on that speaker dock? If it does i'm sold
DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2006-02-28 22:50
£69!?!! rip off!

although the hi-fi looks awesome
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-28 23:47
Hi-fi is cool, but unless they make it so the whole screen can be used and menu features its pointless, I have always wanted a hard disc Hi-FI
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
I will honor Laffens gift of P990 flip free avartar, but I sold the p990
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi