Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > Microsoft Origami / UMPC

123  Next
Author Microsoft Origami / UMPC
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-02-26 11:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The net is a-buzz this weekend with the imminent announcement on Thursday announcement of the Origami Project

Engadget are apparantly one of the first to break some big news on this and it seems to be pitched somewhere between windows mobile devices and tablet PC's though there is alot of speculation as to what exactly it is.

There is a great video of the product on this d-kitchen website (choose "Enter", "WORK", "BRANDTHEATRE", and "Microsoft Origami" to vewi it)

towards the end of the video is some game play on it too! all in all it looks pretty cool and I look forward to hear more

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2006-04-25 02:12 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-26 12:02
Yeh i had noticed this product earlier this week,but i can't say i'm particularly impressed by it...to me this just seems like a scaled down version of a tablet PC...nothing really innovative or new i think. [addsig]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-26 13:23
Sony had the now discontinued VAIO U Series,which did pretty much the same thing and was far better than this.

[addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-02-26 13:29
I always liked the tablet concept (touch screen, hand writing etc) but just didn't want something A4 sized so this would fit that gap for me

I always felt that the Vaio U series was over priced and have always chosen standard vaio laptops instead, so lets see what Microsoft have to say when they officially announce the details of this... fingers crossed!
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-26 14:27
to be honnest, I like the concept, but not the design they use, id prefere something witha slide or flip down keyboard rather then touch screen, then a small joystick or something. I know in one of the pics it has the keyboard, but its not really whar I want.

The vaio I have never even seen before, so can't really comment on it, though looking at it I would definetly like to have a play on one.

I think the main problem with these kind of gadgets is that they are marketing them wrong, when i see it I think o replacemtn for a laptop, but its not it should be an accessory.

One thing I do wish microsoft would make is a protable xbox, as I think with mutiplayer gaming could be very sucsessful with games like halo
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
I will honor Laffens gift of P990 flip free avartar, but I sold the p990
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-27 16:21
According to engagdet microsoft has confirmed that the video is indeed an authentic representation of an \"early prototype\" of Origami, but insists that the images are about a year old. Meanwhile, word is out that the unveiling of Origami scheduled for Thursday will most likely show off the technology. [addsig]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-03-01 13:12
the BBC have picked up on this

Microsoft plans iPod media rival

Microsoft is preparing to unveil a handheld multimedia device designed to take on Apple's iPod and the Sony PSP, according to reports

Called Origami, it is thought to boast a touch screen, wireless web access, and to play music, videos and games
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-03-02 11:30
Well, Its thursday, I've been combing the net all over, and nothing. D'ya think its gonna be delayed? I hope not.
Visit My Blog : Debu's Innovations

'When nine hundred years old you will be, look as good, you will not' - Yoda
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-03-02 11:34
well, I was reading the Sydney morning herald yesterday and it stated

The company declined to disclose details about the device, including when it might be available for sale, but it said there would be announcements over the coming weeks.

so who know
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-02 13:53
I wouldn't be surprised if tablet pc really takes off as an alternative platform for many medium-small devices as well as home entertainment centre pc's. Windows XP is actually a very efficient operating system, and when benchtested is faster than all previous versions of windows back to Windows 95.

There is an embedded version of XP (one use of which is XBOX), which takes only a few megabytes of storage when fully installed Without those thousands of dll's to load, and no pesky explorer shell, XP will run on anything.

Microsoft Origami is probably windows xp embedded. The prototype appears to be: "The Origami prototype was based on the company's Geode SC3200 processor and ran Microsoft's Windows XP Embedded operating system, National said."
http://www.windowsfordevices.com/news/NS9651574577.html

The site claims it's aimed to compete with psp, amongst other potential target's (pda's, mp3 players etc)...

The first question in my mind is, what media does it use?

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-03-02 12:57 ]
axxxr
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-02 14:31
Today the project origami site was updated with another meaningless flash animation. At the end it says:find out 3.9.2006.What does that date tell you?Correct, its the CeBit 2006 launch date.

[addsig]
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-03-02 20:41
@max: Windows XPe doesn't allow applications to be installed after a target deployment, the solution for which is Windows CE.net 5.0, which is crippled in its own way. Hence I hope that article is wrong. If however XPe has been used, I'd be very dissapointed. DualCor cPC anyone?

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-03 00:55
hmm, okay that's a good point. I new that a standard xp embeded such as xbox you can't install full "windows xp" applications - but I wouldn't be surprised if the platform could be expanded with a "windows ce" like shell.

Afterall developers design applications (usually games) for Xbox. So if Microsoft provide developer tools then it may be possible to design apps for Microsoft Origami. In fact I'd be surprised if they don't - after all what's a console device without programs or games?

Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-03-03 09:20
@max: The xbox 360 actually has an xbox core engine software running on top of a shell-less XPe kernel. The core engine can read files from the dvd. Its like XPe deployed with notepad can read *.txt files on a cd, inserted on a machine, but you cant really install XP applications after deployment. Very similar to microsofts PMC, which too is based on XPe. Also, the 'windows for devices' article is really old, I hope the specs have changed since.

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-03-03 13:53
just because xbox doesn't have shell doesn't mean origami doesn't. After all it seems to me origami is just that - a shell over an embedded xp. Now what is origami anyway? If it really is a cross between tabletpc/pocketpc, then surely it will have some ability for end user installable applications? (Not apps written for the full version of windows xp, but applications written using developer tools and api's for the origami shell)

Basically at this stage no one knows what origami is exactly, so you can't really say for sure what the shell will be like. Certainly, Origami is likely to be very different to Xbox. The name origami suggests it can be "folded" into many different shapes, ie: that it's a device that has many uses (unlike XBOX which is essentially a games console). XBOX may not have a shell, but origami seems to offer access to mp3's stored locally, among other things. That aspect requires some type of shell (an interface for the user to save, manage and access the mp3's).

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi