Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > PayPal - the company who takes your money and doesn't care

1234  Next
Author PayPal - the company who takes your money and doesn't care
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-24 02:19
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Now this is my bitch about paypal the company who is so well built into eBay it acts as a monopoly, the company that tells some sellers they have £1000 protection, the one that charges 3.4% on all transactions, pays no interest on the money it holds and even has a us credit card service.

I will war those who read this that I regularly use lots of strong language and cannot spell a bad combination.

For this thread I will be referring to 2 specific examples of mine.

no 1: now for the one that happened about 2 months back, I posted about this then and am doing so again.
I sold a faulty p910i on eBay (had a missing screen and I did not have one to test it) the guy complains telling me its barred, I find this off as it came from a legit source so then complains to PP that its faulty, now in the auction it says its faulty damaged spears or repair at least each of those words is stated 2 times. (Worth noting that you esatoariens were in my favour that the I should not give the guy a refund as it was clearly stated as faulty) now as I said the guy complains to paypal that its faulty, now as this is in the description I want to know why they even considered this case, but yeh they did in fact they forced me to give the guy a refund, once the phone was returned, so I got the phone back from this cool and paypal gave a full refund (inc p&p which was stated in the auction could not be returned under any circumstances) but they didn't check he sent all the bits back, see I sold a full p910i inc box charger etc, I got back just the p910i and to make it worse the guy nicked all the screws and it no longer powered on, upon closer internal inspection I found that this twat had snapped off the power button then coated it in resin glue attempting to get it back on... so there’s the first story the guy gets all accessories free of charge and I'm stuck 80 quid down with a totally f**ked p910i. Great seller protection.

Now my 2nd case - I sold a e800 housing only last week, brand new etc to a relatively new user (40 odd fb) Now within 3 days of buying it they complain they have not received it... bit odd no? So then within 7 days they complain again and I forward them to my terms and conditions (on the auction page)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBay[....]pagename=STRK%3AMESO%3AIT&rd=1 - this is the auction they bought

They then have the nerve to set up a paypal complaint (7 days since "not receiving" the housing) o, but that’s not all, they then email me saying 2 things, the 1st that they set up a complaint - no shit I had a email from paypal, the other point they were persistent at was the fact they wanted a full refund and my terms state p&p cannot be returned so to make sure they get back the full amount they use paypal, also they wanted it quickly to ensure they get their money back – I want to point out this the RM take 14 days till they accept a item is lost I haven’t even had chance to get a complain in. So guess what paypal do, as I didn’t sent it recorded delivery that means no tracking no for lukey, but I did get a proof of postage, they give me 3 options – enter a tracking no/give refund/or provide refund information (if not through paypal) well that’s great isn’t it? I can’t do jack shit so I try to ring them no good at all, I talk to someone in India I can’t understand and who doesn’t have a clue what he’s talking about. So I can’t do anything and with 3 days they give a refund so now I’m £15 down and the person has probably got a free housing… But wait there’s light after scouring paypal I find a way to appeal the decision, but oh no to appeal it I have to have a tracking no, in the end I entered a tracking no for something I sent on the same date and manage to get them to agree to let me fax in a proof of postage, so I do and they get it even send me a nice little email with telling me so. Now this is the good bit, even though the proof of posting has the recipients address, name and postcode on, and is also stamped by the rm paypal cannot accept this as a proof of postage, so it took someone 6working days to get a full refund and the royal mail won’t accept a item to be lost till 14 working days

Now here is my conclusion - no matter what you sell on eBay your f**ked if you take paypal, I have £500 protection for all my sellers something I was proud to have, now I want to get rid of it as it just means I'm a cash machine for fraudsters, they tell you get £1000 insurance, bollox do you get it, I myself have rang/faxed and emailed paypal and there is nothing I can do, but sit and take these financial losses.
The main problem paypal are so built into eBay It almost forces you to use it, if you don’t take it you get lower prices. The trading standards commission should have a delve into this as I'm sure sellers should have some rights or protection from these kind of people.

My message to all is boycott paypal, they charge me 3.4% on every item I get paid by them, which probably adds up to well over £3000 a year. I’m even considering giving a 5% discount to all those who do not pay by paypal, and charging the fees to those who do just for fun.

Phones & Electronics for Sale

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2006-02-24 06:06 ]
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 02:52
@luke - Perhaps an isolated case mate . . . as I can see some good/positive reports/feedbacks about PayPal here in the Forum. [addsig]
Rookwise
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 02:57
I strongly agree with you on this. I had the exact same problem as your second bad experience except Paypal did sweet fa and left me over £300 out of pocket.

I tried sniffing coke once but didnt like it. The bubbles kept going up my nose
kk.226
Aino Black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 03:14
Yep gotta back Luke up on this, It's happened to me a few times. Mainly on a watch I sold, even after providing tracking information they gave the guy a refund. So he got to keep a Special Edition Breitling for Bentley watch and the money, and we know they don't come cheap

I've almost stopped using it, their fees are ridiculous anyway, and service poor.
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-24 03:25
Quote:

On 2006-02-24 02:52:44, JN wrote:
@luke - Perhaps an isolated case mate . . . as I can see some good/positive reports/feedbacks about PayPal here in the Forum.

hmm, I don't think so, I have about 4-10 of these cases a month
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
I will honor Laffens gift of P990 flip free avartar, but I sold the p990
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 03:29
Quote:

On 2006-02-24 03:25:46, lukebonathan wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-24 02:52:44, JN wrote:
@luke - Perhaps an isolated case mate . . . as I can see some good/positive reports/feedbacks about PayPal here in the Forum.

hmm, I don't think so, I have about 4-10 of these cases a month

@luke - You mean 4-10 cases a month I guess it's time to call the Polizei mate . . . that's already OUT of the ordinary ! [addsig]
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-24 03:35
not much you can do really, the police won't take it seriously as its generally on items under 30 quid as anything else is sent recorded
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 03:40
@luke - So what's the BEST there is? Avoid selling at Ebay? Or totally avoid transacting via PayPal? Do you think paying via Bank transfers is much better? [addsig]
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-24 03:45
see, this is the problem - ebay in itself is pretty good, there are some issues, but it does need to be changed, the way they have buyilt paypal into everything makes it almost impossible for others to enter the market, for example no shex has almost been killed off. I perosnally would like a choice of online payment systems built in so the seller can chose the most appropiate.
I do believe that bank trasferes would be better, but the problem is they are not instant (unless in the same bank) which is what people want, and there are some security risks, it would probally be best if people used a site such as world pay. From what I have heard its a very secure method of payment, though i don;t know the charges, I think its something I should look into
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 03:48
@luke - Time and MODE of Payment is of the essence here I guess [addsig]
govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 05:01
I resent the comment about indians! Special thanks to stupid americans for that (no not you eastcoaststar) . Getting back to topic, why cant you argue that guys has send you a diff phone and the accessories are not packed with it? You have pictures to prove how they damaged it? Else, create an account under your wives name buy stuff from him and do the same to him. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

This message was posted from a T230

Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 07:00
I had a different kind of bad experience with paypal.

I sold a couple of psp game to this guy, and he paid me via paisapay (its the indian paypal counterpart), a couple of days after the transaction had been completed (I got the money and he got the games), my paypal account was abruptly closed, with all the money in it disputed. On further enquiry, this bloke had opened several paypal accounts and had been tranfering from one to another to avoid some charges, friggin' paypal suspected mine was one of them. However I appealed and and they promptly reopened my account. I havent used paypal since.
Visit My Blog : Debu's Innovations

'When nine hundred years old you will be, look as good, you will not' - Yoda
Krubach
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 11:57
@lukebonathan
Agree with you mate.

Ebay and Paypal were so commited in protecting buyers, they forgot to protect sellers too.
Ebay/Paypal is scammer buyers paradise, i also got problems trying to sell some stuff with those Nigerian scammers.
They f*ck up your business, and delay your earnings.
[addsig]
absinthebri
W800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-24 11:59
Use Nochex. [addsig]
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-24 12:00
@ govigov - what do you mean there has been no mention of indians in this thread, and I don't know of anyone who has a problem with them.

@ - Deb - yeh, one time I had a complaint against someone and they convinced me to cancle it, but then less then 3 min after I had done that they reported me too be under age to payapl and had my account frozen which was kinda bad, but I got it back within 5hrs
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi