Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > SE reveals new features for P990

12  Next
Author SE reveals new features for P990
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 09:00
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Sony Ericsson reveals new productivity, imaging and entertainment features for the P990 Smartphone
06 February 2006

London, 6th Feb 2006 – Sony Ericsson today revealed a host of unannounced applications and entertainment content features for its flagship Wi-Fi enabled UMTS smartphone, the P990, which was introduced to the Global Developers community in October 2005 They include:

• Details on supported push email partners
  • Anti-virus/Firewall and VPN clients for secure corporate business
  • Business card scanner
  • New entertainment content and features

The P990 is the next in a line of successful Sony Ericsson smartphones - the P800, P900 and P910 – and is based on the same proven concept and recognisable form factor. It is designed to be first and foremost a great mobile phone but offers all the benefits of UMTS including video calling, high-bandwidth multi-media downloads and the ability to browse the Internet with full HTML pages. These are viewed in landscape on the new Opera 8 browser.

“The P990 is a very significant new product for us. It’s a sophisticated device that gets us to the point where mobile executives can really start to minimize on the number of devices and paperwork they carry around with them,” says Jan Wäreby, Corporate Executive Vice President, Head of Sales and Marketing, Sony Ericsson. “The push email capability especially helps to bring true business mobility and we have deployed technology and formed partnerships to ensure that mobile email and web browsing access is provided in a safe, secure and fast environment.”

Push Email
Secure, simple and fast access to email and the Internet are critical requirements for true office mobility, and this is an area where the P990 excels. The ability to access email and calendar while out of the office is critical for mobile executives as they no longer need to return to the office to perform this task. The P990 will support a range of push email services from the partners listed below:

AlteXia
Ericsson Mobile Office (EMO) (Try and Buy)
iAnywhere OneBridge
Intellisync
Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
RIM - BlackBerry Connect
Seven
Visto
Standard Email - IMAP IDLE working on all standards compliant servers

Security
Sony Ericsson has partnered with antivirus software giant McAfee to offer McAfee VirusScan and Firewall Mobile to further strengthen the P990’s email and web browsing security. This Try & Buy software provides scanning services on emails, attachments and web downloads for cellular communications, all to the same standard as its well known computer applications. Secure access to corporate networks completes the remote email story as Sony Ericsson offers a free VPN client powered by Certicom.

Business Card Scanner
Cameras in phones have any number of business applications for capturing and sharing images. Creative minds have moved a few steps further by turning the P990’s 2 Megapixel with AutoFocus camera into a Business Card Scanner, using character recognition software to convert the scanned information from the card to Contacts on your P990.

The large 2.8 inch QVGA (262K TFT) touch screen and large viewfinder help you to capture the full business card size in one go.

Entertainment
P990 users are expected to spend a fair amount of their time travelling on business and more has been added to the smartphone to make this ‘downtime’ in their working life as relaxing or entertaining as required. The P990’s suite of entertainment applications is supported by a 3D Hardware Accelerator and exciting 3D Java games such as Vijay Singh Pro Golf 2005 from Gameloft, which will lighten up the longest journeys together with a fully equipped music player that supports MP3, AAC and AAC+ formats, and includes a flight mode allowing the music player to be used when the phone is switched off.

Application Shop
The broadest possible choice of new applications for the P990 will be available at launch from the Sony Ericsson Application Shop. The Application Shop is an important part of the Try & Buy concept. It will feature the full versions of the trial applications that are preloaded on the Memory Stick of the P990, included in the box. With the new mobile storefront, applications can be purchased directly from the phone and downloaded over-the-air.

The P990 will be commercially available in Q2 2006. The variants will be:

P990i Dual mode UMTS (2100MHz) - GPRS 900/1800/1900 for Europe, Asia Pacific, Middle East, Africa

P990c Dual mode UMTS (2100MHz) - GPRS 900/1800/1900 for Mainland China. (Launch for mainland China dependant on availability of 3G services.)

P990 – Features at a glance:

Imaging & Messaging

• 2 Mega pixel camera with AutoFocus
  • 2.5 x digital Zoom
  • Video Telephony application with dual cameras and MPEG4 support
  • Camera light
  • Streaming video and playback of video (30 fps QVGA)
  • Touch based Picture editor
  • Large 2.8 inch QVGA (240 x 320)
  • Touch screen with 262 k colours

Entertainment

• Stereo Bluetooth support
  • DRM: OMA phase 1
  • Ring signal: 40 voices MIDI,
  • Music player: dedicated access button, play lists support (m3u) and MP3, AAC ,AAC+ and E-AAC+ and m4a support
  • MusicDJ™
  • 3D touch based Golf game
  • FM RDS radio with Clock radio
  • Stop watch and timer

Connectivity

• 80 MB internal memory
  • 64 MB Memory Stick PRO Duo in the box
  • Memory Stick PRO Duo support up to 8GB
  • Bluetooth 2.0
    [*[ IrDa
  • WLAN 802.11b
  • High speed UMTS modem (384 kbps)
  • USB Desk stand
  • USB full speed and charging
  • USB Mass storage
  • PC synchronisation software

Business

• Business card scanner
  • Backlit thumb keyboard available in 4 hardware keyboard variants: QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY and Russian
  • Smart typing: Word completion, next word prediction and handwriting character recognition
  • Word, excel and PowerPoint viewers/editors (text only)
  • Adobe PDF viewer
  • Opera 8.0 web browser with landscape full screen support
  • RSS news feeds support
  • Flight mode (Activate WiFi )
  • Office hands free (speaker phone)
  • External antenna connector
  • Calculator and Converter application
  • Multi tasking
  • E-mail provider support:
    AlteXia
    Ericsson Mobile Office (EMO) (Try and Buy)
    iAnywhere OneBridge
    Intellisync
    Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync
    RIM - BlackBerry Connect
    Seven
    Visto
    Standard Email - IMAP IDLE working on all standards compliant servers
  • Security and VPN support
    – Anti virus - McAfee (Try & Buy)
    – Firewall - McAfee (Try & Buy)
    – Encryption - Pointsec (Try & Buy)
    – VPN - Certicom (Free)

Symbian 9.1 and UIQ 3.0 software platform
Size - 114 x 57 x 25
Weight - 155g with battery and flip keyboard

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2006-02-13 08:48 ]
xtemujin
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 11:33
Main questions that most people are asking right now.

1) When is the launch date.

2) Is there a possibility of the P990i being delayed again to Q3/4 because of product market refocus, software development or being cancelled at the worst case scenario.

3) Recommended retail price.

[ This Message was edited by: xtemujin on 2006-02-13 10:36 ]
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 13:16
The news on this device just gets better and better! I really cannot wait
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-13 13:24
God the specs for P990 make me drool!! It's got everything!

If only it was exactly the same but in the M600 shell with a dpad or joystick and proper softkeys Don't want much do I hehe...
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 14:05
Well, I think SE seem to be treating the P990 as a platform from which they can make a number of variations. I think they should look at a communicator and a PDA style UIQ device.
Join the 'dots' and see what happens
jalf
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 19:19
P990i must have a built-in GPS!

hope SE read this!!!! ehehehehehe!
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 20:47
I like this feature on the P990:

Security and VPN support
– Anti virus - McAfee (Try & Buy)
– Firewall - McAfee (Try & Buy)
– Encryption - Pointsec (Try & Buy)
– VPN - Certicom (Free)

With this, I surmise that celfone virus like that of the CARIBE won't be able to penetrate the handset [addsig]
_TB_TB_
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-02-13 22:35
IMHO the idea about lots-o-phones based on P990 is a good one. Why? More various models->more people buying it (not only the business-class)->more interesting and useful apps and (which is IMHO the most important) - more accessories!

The built-in GPS would be a nice feature...

Can't wait for P990 to be released:)
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-13 22:36
Can't wait, that's putting it lightly

I've started dreaming about it literally
BigFeat
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-14 00:35
I'm curious to see how fast they roll out a BB connect software. With RIM's legal troubles litterally holding in a balance now I doubt it will be available. I'm sure it will only be made available to select markets as the current on is.
Breathe iT__Smell iT__Taste iT__Feel iT

B I G F E A T E N T E R T A I N M E N T
shorty_blitz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-14 02:03
One of the points in the Connectivity section says "USB Mass storage"??
What's this?
soulchild111
K700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-14 02:46
first of i wanna say that p990 looks like s**t the qwerty keyboard has been placed on the area the screen should be therefore making the screen size SMALLER!! omg.
what SE should have done was kept the theme of layout the p910i has then chaged things here and there i mean cmon!!
but then again it has amazing features which i am impressed with eg: wifi but in general its not a bad phone just that SE made a mistake with the look of the phone
nkognegr0
P910
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-14 02:52
well the specs say the screen is bigger than the p910 with a keyboard on it so thats great. and the keyboard will be much better on the unit than the floppy keyboard on the p910. Other than that i wont see it for a while its not set for release in the states for a while so i can only dream about it. which is a good thing anyway because the software for the phone will be limited anyway. so bout time they make one for the us market hopefully all the apps will be rolling in.
Gigs
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-14 03:10
The KB being on the body of the phone IS NOT a big deal..
I think in comparison the screen is only 5mm shorter, take a look sometime at the informed people who are posting answers about. (Like Michael over at My Symbian)

It's not like they took a few inches off the screen
scormie
W595 Grey
PM
Posted: 2006-02-14 03:57
Quote:

On 2006-02-14 02:03:35, shorty_blitz wrote:
One of the points in the Connectivity section says "USB Mass storage"??
What's this?

The phone acting as one big flash drive when connected to a pc by cable -- ie, you'll be able to read to / write from a memory card in the phone without the need for any specific software on the pc.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi