Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The Danish Mohammad cartoon row - what do you think?

Previous  123 4 ... 424344  Next
Author The Danish Mohammad cartoon row - what do you think?
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-04 00:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
it's the prophet, in a turban, that looks like a bomb, and it says there is but one God on it.

Assosiciates Islam with terrorism, the blowing up of the religion, the disregard for the respect of God, plus he looks slightly Sikhi, (so Sikh's could take offence)

It's not about the comic, it's about the fact that they MUST have at least thought that Muslims would take great offence, and despite being such a major population, they didn't give a shit.

Here's my opinion on it.

more on my blog. http://blog.oxygen-inc.com
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-04 00:49
@Gelfen - VERY well put, that was basically what I was trying to say, except you put it more succinctly!

The cartoons were perhaps a misuse of free speech, but the reaction to them has been grossly over the top. And a bit hypocritical in some ways - reacting to a cartoon in a paper in some European country by threatening violence and issuing death threats!

This world is very, VERY screwed up. We're screwed. We'll be lucky to see the 22nd century the way we're headed. And it will be something petty that starts armageddon off.
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-04 00:51
I dont agree with the death threats, those were made by idiots.
Their argument is just, the way they want to sort this is wrong.

And it's just stuff like that which takes us in full circle and will help people associate Islam with bombs.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 08:39
I think the Labeling is whats causing this row...
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 10:26
Whats a machine that prints labels got to do with it
aremaboy
Satio Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 10:52
Indonesian Moslems,including me, have reacted hard against that insulting cartoon row. We're angry and offended badly. Islam is a peace religion on Earth..Never will this happen again.. [addsig]
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 11:02
unfortunately the reaction of a minority does give the impression to people who dont know that islam is peaceful.
people on the streets of london with there faces covered and banners calling for the slaying of the cartoonist. doesnt give the impression of peace.
i said earlier and ill say it again the best course of action would have been to ignore it by doing that the fire isnt fuelled and it would have slipped away very quickly now its going to linger and cause more tension, with ouver religious groups wondering why its ok for things like life of brian etc but not over for this
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 11:18
It hurts when you love someone and some idiot has the audacity to 1 draw the cartoon and the other idiot to give the go ahead to put it in the papers!!

Apprently two editors got fired already... GOOD!!!!
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 11:22
im not sure how you can equate the 2. you love mohammad the messanger of god. your love is based on the teaching and word of god as dictated in the quran.
a bloke draws a sterotypical picture of an arab looking person and puts the name muhammad next to it and this attacks your love of the real muhammad wich youve never seen a picture of or have no idea what he looked like as islam forbids idol s in case the idol is worshipped and not allah.
to me its a mountain been made out of a mole hill and the anti ilsam brigade must be laughing as everytime they throw something as islam they keep on hitting it back.
to me the picture is only offensive as it portrays a stereo typical image of a middle eastern person

[ This Message was edited by: slattery69 on 2006-02-04 10:25 ]

[ This Message was edited by: slattery69 on 2006-02-04 10:33 ]
brix25
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-04 11:44
Have to agree with gelfen's post.

Muslims are not going to convince the world that their religion is one of peace when nutcases threaten violence against citizens of countries where the cartoons have been published.

In fact it reinforces the strereotypes of muslims as being intolerant of any opnion that challenges their collective world view( which is not true).

Muslims can co-exist with people of other religions but I suspect that for recent immigrants to Europe the shock of a secular society must've been to great.

Instead of boycotting Danish, Franch and Norwegian goods Muslims opposed to the depiction of their prophet as a terrorist should protest against kidnapping, beheadings and all sorts of terrorist acts which are perpertrated by a minority in a quest to drive infidels from Islam's holy sites.
Liar liar pants on fire/ You burning up like David Koresh- Ghostface Killah
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-04 11:56
one thing I should point out is that it's not anyone's place to say what an idividual should and should not be doing, because what's normal to you isn't normal to them. It's the typical example of how western ideology has simply pushed those to the edge of paranoia.
slattery69
T68i
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 15:30
Quote:

On 2006-02-04 11:56:18, amnesia wrote:
one thing I should point out is that it's not anyone's place to say what an idividual should and should not be doing, because what's normal to you isn't normal to them. It's the typical example of how western ideology has simply pushed those to the edge of paranoia.

isnt this a contradiction if its not anyones place to say what someone should or shouldnt do why are people protesting against the cartoons. you could also reverse the western ideology by saying eastern ideology has made them paranoid.
i like brix s comment muslims should take to the streets to protest against the small minority who are making a mockery of there religion by kidnapping and beheading people. this is far more damaging to the perception of islam than any cartoon will ever be

[ This Message was edited by: slattery69 on 2006-02-04 14:43 ]
scotsboyuk
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-05 05:05
@gelfen

Well said!

The cartoons may very well have been offensive to Muslims, but the reaction to them has been completely rediculous. Other religions have been satarised in the media and we do not see embassies being attacked or calls for people to be beheaded. The Jerry Springer opera offended some Christians in the UK, but they didn't attack anyone.

No one religion should be treated any differently to another and with freedom of speech that means that people can and probably will satarise religion and religious figures; of course one should exercise that freedom responsibly and not seek to deliberately attack another's religious beliefs. Religion should not be off limits to valid debate and discussion; if someone disagrees with something someone else has said they have a right to disagee and protest, but that does not involve incitement to violence or violence itself.

The Danish newspaper didn't publish the cartoons as part of a dedicated policy to attack or denigrate Islam; it was a standard satirical publication by the looks of things. The reaction of calling for violence and actually perpetuating violence has done Islam far more damage than those cartoons ever could. The reaction we have seen simply reinforces the stereotypical image of Muslims as being violent and intolerant. It does nothing to educate people as to Islam's peaceful nature or to the work done by Islamic charities or of the tradition of tolerance towards other religions as can be seen in historical Islamic states. Thankfully some Muslims are speaking out against the extreme reaction we have seen and are showing that Islam is not a religion of extremism and hate mongering.

All this situation does is play into the hands of extremists on both sides and helps to polarise the world into Islamic and non-Islamic camps. Those advocating violence because they feel Islam has been attacked would be far better off protesting against those who kidnap and behead people or who blow themselves up to kill innocent men, women and children. Those are the people who are attacking Islam.

[ This Message was edited by: scotsboyuk on 2006-02-05 04:28 ]
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-05 07:20
Another BBC article with some analysis of the situation makes quite interesting reading, saying basically this row highlights the difference between the liberal, secular Western societies and the more religious Middle Eastern societies.
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

whizkidd
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-05 07:37
Giving so much attention to a mere cartoon is stupid.

I guess these people who are protesting should take a closer look and see how other faiths and people belonging to other faiths are treated in nations where Islam is the majority. (Not all nations...but most of them)
I admire UAE for their tolerant views. They even allow temples and churches in Dubai...

In Saudi Arabia , even the possession of a copy of the Bible is a crime and if Christian workers are caught meeting in their own homes praying with fellow Christians they could go to jail and be deported. Public practice of any other religion is banned.

Have we seen protests from other nations because of this stupid "law"? and i'd repeat it. Its a stupid law.
Imagine if practising Islam is banned in any country..
Imagine the public outcry and protests that would emerge! It is an unthinkable scenario! Yet its perfectly normal for believers of other faiths to be persecuted for the "crime" of following their own beliefs in some Islamic countries.

What rights Muslims should have on non-Muslims to allow or disallow them anything? Isn’t that preposterous?

It would be much better if these protestors protest against Islams own "insider" enemies first.

[ This Message was edited by: whizkidd on 2006-02-05 06:57 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 4 ... 424344  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic