Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The Danish Mohammad cartoon row - what do you think?

123 ... 424344  Next
Author The Danish Mohammad cartoon row - what do you think?
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 12:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I presume most of you have heard about this row about a danish cartoon? If you haven't, basically a Danish newspaper published a cartoon of the prophet Mohammad (I hope I'm spelling his name right!) wearing a turban with a bomb in it. There's a BBC article about the current situation, plus I've found an english article from the Danish newspaper Jyllands-Posten that published the cartoon, with other links to English-language articles from the paper explaining their position and rationale.

Found the offending cartoon plus some others by the paper and a few other people HERE if you want a look.

Question is - Is that paper justified in printing these cartoons? Is it free speech and freedom of expression in action or a gross and unjustified insult to the prophet of a peaceful religion?

Are all the protests in Muslim countries right - when a lot of their own media have apparently portrayed Jews as being paedophiles and banned other religions from practicing in their countries - is it a gross hypocrasy or has that Danish newspaper taken a step too far?

It would be interesting to get people's opinion here on Esato, as there's such a mix of people, religions and backgrounds. But please, NO FLAMING, or the mods will have my guts for garters for starting this thread!

My Ebay AuctionsNok 3410, K500i, T610-T630 f

[ This Message was edited by: Sammy_boy on 2006-02-03 11:16 ]
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 13:13
If you're in the UK they're discussing it on the Jeremy Vine Show on Radio 2.

My 2 bob's worth - I'm all for free speech, but this seems to be going a little too far, no one would have batted an eyelid if it was an anonymous mullah or someone like that.

However, the reaction to it does seem a little too much - gunmen in Gaza protesting about this portrayal.... whilst carrying GUNS? Bit hypocritical if you ask me. And there's been many sleights and pisstakes on Christianity, God, Jesus, etc. without the kind of reaction we've seen here. For example, I believe that Jerry Springer play should go ahead, the only protests for that have been from an extremist minority of Christians, everyone else didn't really seem to mind.

Freedom of speech and expression is very important. But this seems to be a little over the top, and slightly pointless (perhaps a PR stunt by the danish newspaper?), but the reaction by some to it has been grossly overblown, and slightly hypocritical in some ways!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

jagger2k
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 13:17
is it worth opening a can of worms here?
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 13:43
I guess this thread will be watched closely by the mods.... and I suppose it is sailing a bit close to the wind!

But I'm interested in people's opinions on this and what they think, and I'm hoping it can be done without flaming or any personal insults!
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 13:47
Its on the news on radio 1 at the moment. I don't know enough about it to comment, but i'm listening!
Hello, Scroto!

U.G.L.Y. You ain't got no alibi, you ugly!
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 13:54
This the type of stuff that poisons the worlds minds!!!
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 14:06

Imo it’s gone over the top. It’s a cartoon, I’m sure there are larger issues these protesters should be addressing.

Quote:

Are all the protests in Muslim countries right - when a lot of their own media have apparently portrayed Jews as being paedophiles and banned other religions from practicing in their countries - is it a gross hypocrasy or has that Danish newspaper taken a step too far?

If its true they've portrayed other non-muslims before then surley they cant complain about it begin done to them?

(that one about running out of virgins was pretty funny)

[ This Message was edited by: joebmc on 2006-02-03 13:13 ]
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 14:16
Found an interesting quote in an article on the BBC news website:

Quote:

Jordanian independent tabloid al-Shihan reprinted three of the cartoons on Thursday, saying people should know what they were protesting about, AFP news agency reports.

"Muslims of the world be reasonable," wrote editor Jihad Momani.

"What brings more prejudice against Islam, these caricatures or pictures of a hostage-taker slashing the throat of his victim in front of the cameras or a suicide bomber who blows himself up during a wedding ceremony in Amman?"

The article in al-Shihan also included a list of Danish products.

imo that last part of the quote suggests what should be the best course of action to take (and not issuing death threats!) - which is to boycott Danish goods if you feel strongly enough about it, apparently Arla, a Swedish-Danish company has already had to lay off over 100 staff as sales in Arabic countries have dropped to zero.

Source

joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 14:21
"What brings more prejudice against Islam, these caricatures or pictures of a hostage-taker slashing the throat of his victim in front of the cameras or a suicide bomber who blows himself up during a wedding ceremony in Amman?"

In that statment i would defiantly say the hostage videos incite more hated towards Muslims than these silly cartoons.
SsTiTcH
Z800
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 14:34
Think the cartoon was in very poor taste. And living in Malaysia which is a largely Islamic Country they are tolerant of other faiths here as theres Christians , Buddhists and Hindus here. Everyone respects the beliefs of others and live together peacefully. The rest of the world could learn from Malaysias example that people of different faiths and races can live in Peace and Harmony.
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 14:36
Very true, this does in some ways seem to have been blown up out of all proportion.

I think the real debate is the freedom of speech issue. Could it be that any religion can be open to ridicule or slander - except Islam? (and I mean no disrespect whatsoever to that honourable world religion). Or is it that the countries where religions like Christianity et al. are practiced don't create a fuss when their religion is sleighted, but when Islam is sleighted there are fatwas and threats from hooded gunmen been slung around? Is it a case of tolerance, some societies/religions are more tolerant/intolerant of others?

JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 14:38
The thing is Islam is not understood by the rest of the world, u said so yourself joe, Islam atm is is a very touchy topic, these type of cartoons work with christianty and juduism because the world knows what they about, like johova witnesses we all they knock on our doors when we having our sunday luch... we understand it and associate it accordingly...

Islam is different, especially when using our prophet!!!!

like that VW polo ad when the guy blows himself up in the car ... thats funny although some people might associate it with Islam its not really Islam just a suicide bomber!

This is just an attack!!! Im glad they losing cookie sales!!!
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2006-02-03 14:40
Quote:

Could it be that any religion can be open to ridicule or slander - except Islam?

It does seem that way
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 17:35
I mean, you have south park which makes fun of Jesus for example, it's fine if it's your own religion, but it's not cool if a Muslim does it. know what I mean?
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-03 17:46
I personally wouldn't mind who was taking the mickey, but then again I'd now class myself as being Atheist. Religion is something that people take soooooo seriously, it would take probably an evolutionary leap for people to be able to laugh at others taking the michael and not threaten violence or wars.

I sometimes can't see how people can take something like a few cartoons (regardless of what religion they are poking fun at/denegrating) so seriously and for it to cause such a diplomatic row, even though they were in poor taste (and actually not that funny!).

If I was an alien watching this whole episode from my spacecraft parked up next to the moon I'd probably be wetting myself with laughter at the triviality of this and the reactions to it!

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
123 ... 424344  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic