Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > USB2.0 Transfer Speeds for music - w810i

Author USB2.0 Transfer Speeds for music - w810i
flopsy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 10:18
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I'm trying to decide between w800i NOW vs. w810i in 2 months.

I've read that people can get 0.35 Mbyte/s transfer speeds with the w800i. That's nowhere close to USB1 speeds, so I guess going through the phone adds overhead (as compared with a USB1 card reader).

Ok, so the w810i says it's going to have USB2.0. What will that mean for transfer rates? Is it still going to be much slower than a USB2.0 card reader would be?

Will it at least be a lot faster than the w800i?

The other two things I'm willing to wait for are dedicated "Next track" button, and Bluetooth 1.2.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 10:24
Both W800 and W810 uses Bluetooth 2.0.
flopsy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 10:51
Hi Arne,

Do you have a link to confirm that? I've done a lot of searching but my results have never found an explicit reference to w800i having USB2.0.

One example - GSMArena says that w810i has USB2.0, but does not say the w800i does:
w800i Specs
w810i Specs

Ok, so assuming that the w800i already supports USB2.0, that means that I shouldn't expect faster transfer rates with the w810i? What a waste of the USB2.0 spec, it's not even needed if the phone maxes out at 0.35Mbyte/second? USB2.0 is seriously useless in that case isn't it?
optiplex
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 11:24
Even K750 is said to have Bluetooth 2.0, but I can barely get BT 1.2 speeds. So I don’t really know what SE means by supporting USB 2 and BT 2, maybe they are not talking about transfer speeds but something else in those specifications.

For BT I can at least think of new profile types n stuff, but for what else is new in USB 2 than in USB 1.1 except transfer speeds? I didn’t dig deep in to USB specs to see what the exact differences are. But in general USB 2 means faster speeds right? Are we missing some thing that SE clearly sees?

However I think W810 will have better speeds than W800 (lets hope for the best)
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 14:01
USB2 is just the new standard description, it does not automatically mean higher speed.

USB2 involves 3 different speeds for backward compatibility, 1.5MB/s, 12MB/s and 480MB/s, these are often wrongfully just named USB2 with no indication of speed.

Only devices labeled USB2 Highspeed is 480MB/s, devices just labeled USB2 can be lowspeed, or any speed. Very often the terms are used wrong by manufacturers, more or less intentionally, and you see terms like USB2 full speed, USB2 normal speed etc. or just simply USB2 which often leeds people into assuming its Highspeed, but it doesnt have to be.

Since K750/W800/W810 is just named USB2 - only means it meets the requirements of the latest USB2 standards, but says nothing specific about which speed it operates at. Since its not labeled Highspeed and doesnt transfer very fast I suspect its maybe only 1.5MB/s

The USB2 standards recommend only 2 labeling, either USB2 for devices supporting the lower speeds 1.5MB/s and 12MB/s and USB2 Highspeed for devices supportin 480MB/s

Read more about USB2 specifications here:

http://www.usb.org/about/usb_nomenclature

flopsy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-01-31 14:33
great info numb, thanks.

I wonder if S.E. would be likely to answer an inquiry if the 810 is going to support faster transfer speeds than the 800. From what I understand, it's painful to bear a large transfer (say 1GB) without using a card reader.

I would guess that the Nokia n91 would HAVE to support USB2.0 highspeed, because with a fixed 4GB hard drive, a slower rate would suck and be a major strike against the phone. I haven't looked this up to confirm, but you'd think they would be forward-thinking enough to make their product useful
optiplex
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 06:27
Yes, I guessed there would be some technical differences in the implementation; however in general USB 2 means fast transfer speeds. And I don't see any advantage in supporting USB 2 by a phone if it is not able to work faster than USB 1.1.

That site states as the reason for having 3 transfer rates in USB 2 spec as: 'The USB specification version 2.0 was created to be fully backward compatible with earlier versions of the specification for consumers' investment protection". That makes sense for a USB port in a computer/laptop etc. where many USB devices will be connected; therefore having a USB 2 port shouldn't limit one from connecting USB 1.1 devices.

But when talking about a phone, which is an end user USB device, what are the real advantages of supporting USB 2 if it can't work at high speeds? I say it is just a marketing trick.

And under "Low or Full-speed Product Packaging Recommendations" it says avoid using terminology such as USB 2.0 Full Speed, Full Speed USB or USB 2.0 for products running at slower speeds, which SE has not done in this case misleading consumers.
rockygali
K810 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-01 06:44
wow

if it wasnt for numb we'll be doh about these technicalities...

i suspect that numb is a friend of Leo Laporte (Call for Help tv show / the screensavers tv show) or...

Leo Laporte himself... sheeeeshh
ok im out of the topic... MY BAD!
"Darkness is the absence of light.. and not the opposite..."
flopsy
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 09:17

Fully agree with you optiplex - if the w810i does not support high speed, then it's probably purposefully deceptive that they have USB2.0 in their product description.

I haven't yet found a product description that says USB2.0 support for the w800i, so that's why I'm still holding out hope that the w810i actually may give faster speeds!

Oh one more advantage of the w810i - quadband, meaning it will work great on return trips to North America as well as my main base here in HK.
danska
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 21:01
I heard that the cingular motorola rokr was horrible at transfering songs. Much slower than the k750/w800 from what i read.
But, I can copy an entire 12meg aac file in a few seconds usually. It's not that bad for me at least.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi