Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > W900 FIRMWARE

Previous  123 ... 111213 ... 151617  Next
Author W900 FIRMWARE
kopax
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-04-14 20:47
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hi deadeye@, if i understand your question correctly and you have a w900, you can increase and decrease the loudness by using the controls on the side of the handset. they are on the same side as the camera button and also operate the camera zoom when the camera is on.

it does not seem to be available from the usual settings menu.
kopax
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-04-15 01:31
Further to enquiries in this thread and in another forum (respect and thanks to zyonee who gave the advice below) i've successfully flashed my W900 with a version of R5BB001 that allows you to disable 3G networks and go for GSM only, thus increasing your battery life.

I'll paste it in wholesale here, followed by a caution and finally a link to it's original context.

Quote, referring to R5BB001 update using Davinciteam----

Use the EU2 firmware (Main + FS) and use this CDA:
CDA102418/10 (type it in manually) in client 15.81 or newer. Don't select the sms inbox limit feature, it doesn't work well on the W900.

This should enable your phone to update to R5BC004 on SEUS.

---Quote ends

Caution - the above files work fine on my phone, and i can now disable 3G networks, but i haven't been able to get the SEUS app working on my PC at all so the bit about updating to R5BC004 is so far unverified by me.

Original context - http://www.seuniverse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3440
KNIGHT51NZ
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-15 12:40
I changed my firmware to the EU2 version as per above, and lo & behold - a 3G/GSM selection option appeared in the mobile networks menu. Now I've got 3G disabled finally

This option isn't in EMEA1 or HONGKONG versions of the firmware. As the CDA should be invalid for my particular phone, whos IMEA should be matched to a HongKong CDA, I doubt it'll work with SEUS still, but going by all the problems people seem to have with SEUS, i think I'll just stick to using DaVinci anyway.

I also used the "Remove PlayNow icon" option, no idea if that had any effect on things or not. The icon just has the name of the default internet connection now.
kopax
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-04-15 22:35
Hi all, as it may be of interest to some here i'll note that the firmware update from davinciteam listed above (and reproduced below for your convenience) did allow me to update to R5BC004 using SEUS.

Incidentally, thanks also to youngkies for putting me on the track of the CDA being important, and to nr7489 for input and encouragement.

Cheers folks!

kopax

Quote, zyonee @ SEUniverse, referring to R5BB001 update using Davinciteam----

Use the EU2 firmware (Main + FS) and use this CDA:
CDA102418/10 (type it in manually) in client 15.81 or newer. Don't select the sms inbox limit feature, it doesn't work well on the W900.

This should enable your phone to update to R5BC004 on SEUS.

---Quote ends
KNIGHT51NZ
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-15 23:14
@kopax

The latest client, 15.91 ignores the SMS inbox tickbox on the W900 now, so it's no longer an issue. And 15.91 also obiously flashes the W900 correctly whereas 15.8x versions had "issues".

I have just successfully flashed my R5BB phone (with the EU2 firmware on it with the custom CDA as above) with SEUS and it has upgraded it to R5BC! The 3G/GSM option is still there and everything else seems to be intact. I believe it flashes the firmware only and not the filesystem as it only downloads around 16Meg of data.

For anyone else doing this, SEUS sits there for 5 or so minutes displaying "Please wait... Downloading phone software". While this is displayed it is downloading the update from the internet AND applying the update to the phone. If you unplug the phone or exist SEUS at this stage, your phone won't boot and you'll have to start again. (I did this, panicked momentarily, tried again and it was fine).

No idea how the CDA trick works as the IMEA on my phone _should_ label it as needing a HongKong CDA. Guess it doesn't matter, yay!

[ This Message was edited by: knight51nz on 2006-04-15 23:12 ]
w3bby
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-17 13:44
got a link for the site where i can get the new firmware for my W900?!

Is this firmware Generic not voda or anything?

Is this doable with just the cable that comes with the phone?
jayp
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-17 16:51
hi, how do u check the cam version? when i go to the software version it only shows these:

Current software version:
CXC1250252
R5BC004
Sony Ericsson

there is no option to scroll down for more text.. i recently upgraded from R5AH001 which also did not show cam version..
isiahma
Elm Black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-18 11:39
what kind of different of latest version of Firmware R5BC004?
ayejatt
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2006-04-18 12:24
Quote:

On 2006-04-17 13:44:14, w3bby wrote:
got a link for the site where i can get the new firmware for my W900?!

Is this firmware Generic not voda or anything?

Is this doable with just the cable that comes with the phone?

Just download the Service Update for w800i or earlier
install and do as the screen says
i.e. turn off phone, remove sim, Hold C and plug USB....etc
and yes u can use your normal usb cable to do that

works for both voda and generic ones
kopax
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-04-18 12:40
@ w3bby - the firmware i was talking about is generic, unbranded. I flashed my phone using the dcu-60 usb cable that came with my phone.
I first used the davinci team flasher 15.91 to debrand my voda to generic R5BB001, then used the SEUS (sony ericsson software service) to update to R5BC004. The davinci flash cost 10 euros, the SEUS is free. Some people say they've upgraded voda software directly using the SEUS, but I don't know if it also debrands. Links to both products at bottom of post. Please read the instructions for both carefully, especially the bits about only using a fully charged battery when flashing and always removing your sim card!

@ jayp - if you press > * < < * < * (where < and > are directions on the control pad) it should take you to the Service Menu. If you go "Service info" then "Software info" and scroll down you should be able to see "Camera SW versions...." Unless you really know what you're doing don't mess about with anything in the Service Info menu. Just observe, then press the "Back" key that looks like a curved arrow to get back to he main phone menus.

@ isiahma - so far i'm not noticing any big difference between the R5BB firmware described above (including CDA) and the R5BC. Both run pretty smooth, with reasonably fast menus and the ability to use GSM networks only. That's all i was really looking for. If i discover any other features, i'll let you know.

Cheers all, kopax

http://www.davinciteam.com/index.php

http://www.sonyericsson.com/d[....]UpdateService_Inst_2.6.4.9.exe

[ This Message was edited by: kopax on 2006-04-18 11:44 ]
kopax
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-04-18 13:00
@ w3bby and ayejatt - for the avoidance of doubt, the davinci team firmware i mentioned, and the SEUS firmware are both specifically for W900. I wouldn't recommend trying to install W800 firmware onto a W900.

I suspect that ayejatt is referring to the SEUS updating software rather than the firmware update itself. And beat me to the post
The W900 is not on the list of phones supported by the SEUS, weirdly enough. Hence the need to get it from another models' support page.

The SEUS (Sony Ericsson Update Service) should still detect your phone as a W900 and update the software accordingly.
I should maybe also note that SEUS has a general reputation for bugginess, no matter what phone you're using it with.

I put a link to dirctly download the SEUS software at the bottom of my post above this one.

[ This Message was edited by: kopax on 2006-04-18 12:01 ]
w3bby
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-19 18:01
@ kopax, yes i realised the w800 software wouldnt be a good idea.

But you say if i select the W800 SEUS from the sony ericsson site (which the w800i isnt actually listed either) it will have the W900i update included?

Many thanks for your help by the way

Ow and i take it you can get delivery reports?

[ This Message was edited by: w3bby on 2006-04-19 17:02 ]
jayp
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-20 07:31
@ kopax - the software info doesn't give me an option to scroll down even though i press down nothing happens..
kopax
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-04-20 17:47
@ w3bby - sorry if I came over patronising. Because I try to "assume nothing" when I can't actually speak to someone face-to-face, I sometimes pitch below people's understanding... Anyway, the SEUS is a generic app that should auto-detect your phone model and offer you the appropriate updates. A bit like Microsoft Update.

@jayp - that's weird. I'm afraid i have no explanation for that. I can only suggest trying again, making sure you give the Software info screen plenty of time to load before pressing the down key.
Oh, and as i'm "assuming nothing" (see above ) can you confirm that you're accessing the Software info via > * < < * < * and not by the Settings menu?
w3bby
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2006-04-20 19:16
@ kopax, thats ok, theres loads of idiots out there. I know i sell phones for a living.
I have used SEUS before, with my S700i. I'd like to think im reasonably knowlegeable with it, im just apprehensive to flash my phone when it is not listed as updateable.

I also have had a reply back from the sony ericsson support center saying, there is no update for the W900i yet when one is available it will appear on the W900i page on their web site.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 111213 ... 151617  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic