Esato

Forum > General discussions > General > How to report an IMEI (stolen phone)

Author How to report an IMEI (stolen phone)
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-16 19:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have a phone that has been stolen and want to shut it down. I know the IMEI and I am wondering what I have to do to get it shutdown?

Cheers.
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
zootzoot
T610
PM
Posted: 2006-01-16 19:55
Call your network operator.
or have a look at this site.

http://www.crimereduction.gov.uk/stolengoods5.htm

Mobile phones are involved in 28% of robberies. The mobile phone database can prevent stolen mobile phones from being used on any UK mobile network helping to make them worthless to thieves. Reporting the number of your stolen phone to your network operator will now enable it to be cancelled like a stolen credit card. This applies to both pre-pay and contract phones.

The Mobile Telephones (Re-programming) Act 2002 came into force on October 4 2002, and makes offences of:

Changing, without the authorisation of the manufacturer, the unique identifying characteristic of a mobile phone the IMEI number; and

Possessing, supplying or offering to supply the necessary equipment with the intent to use it for re-programming mobile phones.

The offences carry maximum penalties of five years' imprisonment or unlimited fines or both.

The new shared database set up by all UK mobile phone operators and the Global System for Mobiles Association means stolen phones can now be barred on all networks, by reference to the phone's unique identifying code (IMEI number).

To report a phone stolen and have it barred customers should call their own network operator. The relevant numbers are:

Orange
Contract 07973 100150

Pre-pay 07973 100451

Vodafone
Contract 07836 191191

Pre-pay 08700 776655

O2
Contract 08705 214000

Pre-pay 08705 678678

T-Mobile
0845 412 5000

Virgin Mobile
0845 6000 789

The Industry's shared database (Central Equipment Identity Register) will make it possible to bar mobile phone handsets across all networks once a phone has been reported stolen or lost to the individual's mobile phone network operator. The Central Equipment Identity Register is a shared database of blacklisted International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) handset numbers. All mobile phone network operators in the UK will disable the phone by reference to the unique IMEI number of the handset. This means that the handset itself (not just the SIM card which can easily be swapped) will be barred and will be unusable on any network, even if a new SIM card is inserted.

Additional advice from the Home Office to coincide with the launch of the database is to:

Register your phone with your network operator. This will make barring easier.

Record your IMEI number and your phone number and keep these in a safe place separate from your phone. Your IMEI number can be accessed by keying *#06# into most phones or by looking behind the battery of your phone.

Report the number of your stolen phone to your network operator as quickly as you can. It can now be disabled.

Remain alert. Your phone is a valuable item. When you are out be aware of your surroundings and don't use your phone in crowded areas or where you might feel unsafe.

In addition, the Government is encouraging manufacturers to enhance the security of 3G devices by considering and evaluating new security options. The desired end result is the development of a long-term 3G strategy for improving the security of mobile phone handsets

The Home Office is also working with police and industry to raise awareness of the new measures and encourage people to report their phone stolen. A mobile poster van is touring robbery hotspots to alert potential victims and thieves. Five million crime prevention leaflets will be distributed.
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-01-17 08:40
Well if the thief is/was clever than all he has to do is search for imei changing software and change 1 or 2 digits from the imei and your whole investigation is stiffed!!!
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-01-17 10:02
Quote:

On 2006-01-17 08:40:10, 786KBR wrote:
Well if the thief is/was clever than all he has to do is search for imei changing software and change 1 or 2 digits from the imei and your whole investigation is stiffed!!!

It sounds like you know all about it.
It is illegal in most countries to change an IMEI number.
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2006-01-17 10:08
this is the website everyone should register there phone with....

https://www.immobilise.com/
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-01-17 10:10
Quote:

On 2006-01-17 10:02:52, jcwhite_uk wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-01-17 08:40:10, 786KBR wrote:

It sounds like you know all about it.
It is illegal in most countries to change an IMEI number.

I do!
Theres a difference in whats illegal and whats being done... besides he already stole the phone... its very easy search for it...
Janet_k500i
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-01-17 12:12
Why disable the phone? When mine was stolen i went to the police and within a month i had my phone Back!! They found it With sattelites,
gunther..e
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-09 08:43
My phones where just stolen. Do you have any details of how the police located your phone? I am in Thailand. The police here is less capable. Your help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks & regards
Gunther

On 2006-01-17 12:12:00, Janet_k500i wrote:
Why disable the phone? When mine was stolen i went to the police and within a month i had my phone Back!! They found it With sattelites,
D_Channing
C902 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-13 22:55
Ring your service provider and report it.

Definatly worth doing as most people find it extremly difficult to change the IMEI number.

If you have insurance you can get a new one at a small fee, alothough a friend has had his stolen and didnt have insurance and he got one a great discount.
gunther..e
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 02:39
Thanks for your reply.

I went to see the service provider (True Move) in Thailand. The have no procedure in place and no interest to help. That is not their problem. They also don't sell many phones with contracts. So no discounts. Indirectly they support mobile phone theft this way.

Cheers,
D_Channing
C902 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-01-14 03:27
You can actually report your phone lost to the your local police, they can block it themself.
gunther..e
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 03:40
Done as well. They have no idea how to do that. First thing they asked me was my address. After talking for 30 mins just before I wanted to leave they asked me where do you live? That is ways to complicated for the local police in Thailand. Somebody suggested to see the tourist police. I may try this. Asia is just very different then Europe
fluke9
Samsung Galaxy S II
PM
Posted: 2009-01-14 10:47

On 2006-01-17 12:12:00, Janet_k500i wrote:

Then you are lucky.

In the UK the Police can't even be bothered with you having to report your phone stolen for an insurance claim.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi