Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > sony ericsson unveils W810

Previous  123 ... 2223 242526  Next
Author sony ericsson unveils W810
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 10:15
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@ Max smaller 3G phones are obvious but maybe in 2008!! So for now...
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 10:56
Found this on a local website...

A survey by GSA (Global mobile Suppliers Association) of EDGE operator deployments confirms that a growing number of 3G/WCDMA operators are delivering services in combination with GSM/EDGE networks.

The survey confirms 61 network operators are deploying or operating combined WCDMA and EDGE networks, compared to 23 one year ago. GSA confirms there are 100 WCDMA networks in commercial service worldwide. A total of 31 combined WCDMA-EDGE networks are in commercial service.

EDGE is a low cost upgrade to GSM packet data networks (GPRS), boosting data speeds to the user by over 3 times to typically 120 - 160 kbps. A number of operators have upgraded their entire GPRS network to ensure national high data rate coverage complemented by WCDMA in the main cities.

The survey also confirms that 185 operators in 96 countries are deploying GSM/EDGE, compared with 128 networks at end 2004 (44% growth). For the first time Europe has more EDGE networks operational or in deployment than any other region, the breakdown being Europe (70 operators), Americas and Caribbean (69), Asia (26) and Middle East/Africa (20). EDGE is being rolled out, or in service in 36 countries in Europe, followed by the Americas/Caribbean (34), Asia (14), and Middle East/Africa (12).

135 GSM/EDGE networks globally have now entered commercial service, i.e. growth of 90% (71 commercial networks end 2004).
Siosal
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2006-02-01 11:07
Not to stir the pot, but I quite liked the joystick. I first had the t68i and then the k700, both of which had joysticks and both of which i never had a single problem with. Not saying the joystick was faultless, just saying, i never had a problem.

I dunno if it was mentioned (i'm not reading through every post), but the w810 does have an fm radio.

And no one I know has 3g so i'm not losing much going for another 22 months without it. But we'll see.
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-04 08:51
Anothe reason for EDGE is PTT (Push to Talk) does the W810 have PTT???
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-08 08:35
Quote:

On 2006-01-30 14:07:42, max_wedge wrote:I agree with you about the desirability of EDGE handsets due to smaller size, however I feel with phone like the W900, and even more so (dare I say it) the N70, the days of large 3g handsets will soon be behind us. This coupled with Australian absence of EDGE seals the deal for me on 3G.
[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2006-01-30 13:11 ]

Well Australia may be against EDGE for the time being but the rest of the world is catching up to my praises for EDGE (http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Feb2006/2548.htm) just a quote " cross Europe, Orange now has EDGE networks in UK, France, Slovakia, Romania, Poland and Belgium (Mobistar). "

A lot better than just North America ... soon enough Australia will come along, although the band I'm not sure what they'll select.

PS I've noticed that European providers are now looking at WCDMA/UMTS in the 900Mhz band .... looks like us Canucks with the 850Mhz band werent so stupid after all; low mhz travel farther because of the signal wave reduced speed.
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-08 09:22
Catching up to your praises??
michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2006-02-08 15:36
850 MHz signal wave reduced speed????????
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-09 06:16
ok so some ppl like to make fun of my wording.

@786KBR take a look at the biggest thread in this forum for the usefulnes of EDGE where only the intelligent Max-Wedge could fend off the rest of us singing "the praises & usefulness" of EDGE over GPRS in the face of 3G. You'll understand ... and then look at EDGE's worldwide footprint since that thread died.

@michka, 850Mhz's signal waves or radio waves operate at a slower speed than 1900Mhz signal waves .... given both are under the same powerband.
Read up on it its interesting because so many ppl in Europe thought that North American providers where foolish to committ to an 850Mhz band especially for EDGE & upcoming 3G (the latter for BOTH bands instead of a new licensed band from what already exists in GSM/GPRS.) Now it seems European providers are following suit.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-09 06:28
prom1, the edge situation, as you say, has changed a lot since that old thread. I still think EDGE will go belly up once 3G is reliable and everywhere - in my view it will eventually completely replace GSM and EDGE - however the slow uptake of 3G (due to expense of infrastructure) does seem to indicate that EDGE may have atleast a couple of years of grace before umts starts to replace gsm for good. Network operators, aware of the massive infrastructure cost of 3G, are looking to value add to the EDGE/GSM network until 3G is cheap and reliable to implement.

My main interest is to see broadband mobile (ie EDGE or UMTS) prevelent in Australia with cheap capped data plans - personally I don't care whether it be EDGE or UMTS.
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 07:31
Hey Prom iv been in favour of edge for very long now, i even started a thread somewhere!!

You confusing me...
michka
Sony Xperia E1
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 15:01
@Prom1 I guess you mean that the amount of data transmitted per second on a 850 MHz radio wave is smaller than on 1900 MHz.
I hope you don't say that an 850 MHz wave is slower than an 1900 MHz, because all electromagnetic waves travel at the same speed, no matter the frequency.
Pedestrian: don't run, my car is faster anyway.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-09 18:00
@Max ... your on point as usual, can never doubt that . But I think you'd rather have cheap un-capped or true unlimited data usuage on the wireless providers of choice in Australia. Here in Canada Rogers bought Fido ... still 2 brands & pricing models but now they got rid of unlimited data on Fido because users like myself with a Fido SIM could roam at no charge on a monthly plan with unlimited data for $50CAN to get Rogers better coverage & EDGE data speeds. But alas now its $50CAN for just 25MB/mth, and with Rogers its worse ... $40CAN for just 17MB/mth .. pretty pathetic for the largest mobile provider in Canada that boasts nationwide coverage.

@786KBR; sorry I thought u were against me.

@michka "I hope you don't say that an 850 MHz wave is slower than an 1900 MHz, because all electromagnetic waves travel at the same speed, no matter the frequency." you're onto what I was trying to say. What I meant is the wave pattern travels at a slower .... um ... pace for lack of exact wording. Hence why an 850Mhz radio wave can penetrate solid objects than a 1900Mhz wave. Hence why an 850Mhz/900Mhz radio waves (US/Canada vs Europe standards for GSM) cover more area under the same power as say the 1900Mhz/1800Mhz respectively for continent. Or sorry it may be better for me to say that radio waves in the lower bands oscillate molecules slower than higher radio waves but the molecules oscillate longer than higher radio waves. Sorry Im not fully versed in technology to clearly get my point across accurately.

I'm guessing that the W810i will launch in April?!
khan
W900 white
PM
Posted: 2006-02-09 19:20
bless SE 4 d 'D'pad.kinda like d 1 on d s700i.

This message was posted from a Nokia

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-10 02:03
prom1, the slower oscilation results in a longer wavelength. The speed of propogation is the same as a higher frequency signal but the oscilation is longer in duration, hence the wave front will travel a longer distance before the next oscilation starts. The start of each oscilation is the start of each new wave. The fact the wavelength is longer means it covers more area in one oscilation compared to higher frequency signals. Hence a higher frequency signal needs more energy to cover the same area as a lower frequency signal.

This is why umts (a microwave signal) requires more power to cover the same area - including both the handsets and the towers. It also means the signal strength at source needs to be more powerful than a GSM signal - hence the increased concern of health problems with umts compared to gsm.

For this reason I objected to umts at first, and actually supported EDGE. In theory I still do, but consumers (including myself) want broadband speed mobile internet, despite what might be best from a health point of view.

Higher frequency signals can carry more data, so even if EDGE is successful for a few years, eventually the technology will exist to time slice the umts signal the same way EDGE timeslices a GSM signal. BY then UMTS data speeds will be measured in Megabits per second, speeds which will never be achieved by EDGE.

So unfortunantly EDGE has no future , although it will fill a gap for a few years.

As far as the health affect of higher powered umts signals goes, UMTS towers are much more intelligent than most GSM towers, and have the ability to aim the signal accurately at the handset, which radically reduces the power required to both send and receive signals from handsets.

so it's overall probably about as bad but not worse than current gsm power levels.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-02-10 07:06
@max_wedge; exactomundo! Thats what I was trying to say ... although I got the concepts all screwed up! Thank you for the education, once again as I really needed that cleared up, many many thanks.

btw, why arent you a mod yet?!!! You got my vote if your not already.

EDGE, right now has its second wind but, cannot compete long term with UMTS; agreed.

Right now I'll be happy with a K750i + 1GB MSDuoPro + HPM-70 headset this week before my wife spends all my paycheck!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 2223 242526  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic