Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Debrand Your p910i )

Author Debrand Your p910i )
dr_dv
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 12:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Here is my faq describing how to unbrand Your p910i at absolutely no cost.

First of all I'd like to say that it's imperative that You do everything on that list, and in this exact order. Everything here is important (the file names, the backup and so on). I also take no responsibility for toasted phones, this unbrander-thing isn't designed by me.

Secondt thing: whatever people write, as for 16.11.2005 this thing here works, I myself unbranded my p910i yesterday, got the newest firmware and the phone works excellent. Because of some changes SE made, it works now only for the p910i (p900 is no longer "supported")

0. Read the WHOLE FAQ before starting !!!
0b. Read the WHOLE THREAD here !!! Questions are answered as they come up and I'm not going to update this post every time.
1. You have to have the seus (Sony Ericsson Update Service software) 1.18 installed and running ok, if there are problems with that, sort them out first. The software installs automagically the first time You try to update Your phone, if You don't have it yet, go and install now.
2. Make a full backup of Your phone and write down Your current CDA (CDA determines Your software/branding and may be useful if You want to go back to the branded version). You can read the CDA by clicking Edit>System Information and clicking the right-arrow.
3. Download this file: http://z18.zupload.com/download.php?file=getfile&filepath=8788
4. Go into Sony Ericsson Update Service directory (usually C:Program FilesSony EricssonUpdate Service)
5. Go into the hfclasses directory and rename the SEMCXUSB.dll file to SEMCXORG.dll
6. Now unpack the file You downloaded into the hfclasses dir (both files must be present and have exactly the names stated above). As this seems to be misunderstood sometimes here it is in another words: the original SEMCXUSB.dll is now SEMCXORG.dll, new SEMCXUSB.dll is the one You downloaded separately. The rest of the files remains untouched.
7. Go here and choose Your desired firmware (the one You want to upload). Firmwares labeled 162005/1-9 are all the same, they only come with different language packs, so You are free to choose. Language packs can be downloaded from the SE website so it doesn't matter in the long run, just changes the set You'll start with. I live in Poland and had the polish Orange firmware (CDA was 162006/77) and changed it to 162005/1 (Northern Europe) as I use the english language only.
8. After picking the firmware, create a file named unbrander.conf in the hfclasses directory. Watch out for the extension, some text editors add .txt to text file names.
9. Edit the file and paste the firmware version i.e. cda=162005/1 and then press enter. The file must be exactly 14 bytes long (that's why the enter is needed).
10. This is a good time to double-check everything is done properly and that You actually did everything (don't forget the backup).
11. This is the final phase: updating. Close all unnecessary apps, leaving just the browser (not necessarily IE, I accomplished it with Opera).
12. Go to the SE website, find Your phone (p910i ) and start the update procedure. When asked, select Automatic Mode.
13. Do as the website says (You'll be asked to power the phone off and put it in the cradle - this has to work properly too).
14. Now, if by any chance, You get the message "Sync Station busy, other application using it" or similar, press Ctrl+Shift+Esc and kill these processes: audedevicemgr.exe COMM~1.EXE MROUTE~2.EXE. The sync icon will disappear from tray, but fear not, everything will work fine.
15. Now SEUS will start, ask You to press enter a few times and then it's party time. First SEUS downloads all files then flashes the phone (the phone MUST BE FULLY CHARGED before starting, a power-down while flashing is a no-no). The download time depends on Your net connection (on my 512kbit/s it took ca. 10 minutes). The flashing itself takes ca. 45 minutes. Try not to use the pc while doing this, You never know what might happen. When the process finishes, Your phone boots and asks to choose language.
16. Go to the backup app and restore Your backup (You did that, right?).
17. Clean the screen with Your Official Sony Ericsson Chamois Rag and voila, You're ready to go.

"What about the warranty?" You might ask. Well, the flashing doesn't remove the simlock and You can always return to the previous firmware (You jotted down Your old CDA number, didn't You?) so they won't know .

The original site describing that is down and the info is scattered all over the internet and is available mainly on german forums. For all german speaking people the original thread is http://www.ractive.ch/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20325. The Thread is 28 pages long and it took me almost 3 hours to figure everything out so don't bother.

Happy flashing, please post Your thoughts on this as well as cries of happiness over a new debranded phone .

[ This Message was edited by: dr_dv on 2005-11-25 06:15 ]

[ This Message was edited by: dr_dv on 2005-12-11 17:28 ]
sailaab
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 12:32
How long will it take for a below average person to learn German ? . .

Nice to see you going from the first post Doc D..
This looks good.
Today is the First Day of the Rest of my Life!
SE TRIVIA
dr_dv
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 13:51
zUpload is a free file hosting and the file is a dll developed by some programmer and was provided for free download, so I don't see anything wrong with it. If there is, please let me know.
gr44
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 20:29
so after u update to the newer firmware is there any problem???bluetooth..network izzit stronger???any changes ??any problem u face..if no then i would like to do it....change my firmware to asia...since its a vodafone......
dr_dv
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 20:41
I unbranded 2 phones this way (mine and my father's), I put 162005/1 into them (Northern Europe software version, unbranded). It's been a week and there are no problems. I noticed 2 things: my phone now is slightly faster (according to Jbenchmark), and it seems the battery life is exended a bit. When You're done unbranding, share with us how it went.
gr44
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-11-22 20:56
well i'll try it 2nite ...i'm waiting to full charge it the i'll start...i follow just like ur instruction....hope it will work...hope u will be online cos if something happen i can ask u...do u have any yahoo id...so i can ask u more...pm me....

thanks
antman
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 03:31
I assume that this won't work for the P900.

If not, does anybody have the correct procedure/files?
sailaab
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 07:07
I assume that this won't work for my P800, S700 (choosing specific FW)

Quote:

On 2005-11-23 03:31:35, antman wrote:
I assume that this won't work for the P900.

Today is the First Day of the Rest of my Life!
SE TRIVIA
pkimshk
P990
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 08:23
Good info. Thanks
gr44
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 09:33
SEUS server is don since last night.....still trying....hope the server back online asap......
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 19:52
Can't wait to try this out. One question though - in future can I use the update service if there is a firmware update, using my "unbranded" CDA?
If it is to be it is up to me!
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 19:59
Well, it looks like I have no choice but to wait, SEUS is still down! Another quick question, when the SEUS prompts me to enter the CDA, should I enter the current one (for my branded phone) or the new one I would have selected?
dr_dv
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 20:08
@sailaab: owners of p900 reported that this method worked some time ago and then suddenly stopped working. As for the S700, I haven't found any info on that, I suppose it doesn't work.

@Geezay: a phone unbranded this way behaves as a normal phone that originally had an unbranded CDA. After completing the process, You may remove the downloaded dll and rename back the old one, thus restoring the original seus. After that You will get normal updates for Your new CDA. Of course You may leave the unbrander if You plan to unbrand further phones (or change Your phone to some other CDA), it's useless otherwise.

EDIT: When unbranding, use the Automatic mode. If You get a message "Your operator doesn't allow the update" (something like that, I've never seen it), use the Recovery Mode.

As for the downtimes of the SEUS server, they are reported to happen pretty often so keep trying. I hope they aren't doing any changes to fsck the unbranding method .

2ND EDIT: What message do you get when the SEUS server is down? Remember to check Your firewall, 'cause if it blocks the updater, the server will be "down" forever .

[ This Message was edited by: dr_dv on 2005-11-23 19:17 ]
Geezay
HTC Desire
PM
Posted: 2005-11-23 20:15
Thanks doc. And for the second question - when the SEUS prompts me to enter the CDA, should I enter the current one (for my branded phone) or the new one I would have selected?
Residentevil
P1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-23 20:31
You select the new one (unbranded one). The one you pasted into the file. That is the one that gets read by SEUS.
Tough times don't last, tough people do!
Free Tibet
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic