Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Take Infrared photos with your K750

123  Next
Author Take Infrared photos with your K750
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-19 14:57
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
You can take IR photos with your phone camera!

Most ccd and cmos sensors are sensitive to IR light in the Near Infrared spectrum. All you need to photograph the ir light is to cover the lense with an IR pass filter (something that blocks visible light but not IR). This is because the IR Cut filter in the camera doesn't block all ir - if you block out visible light the camera is able to max up the exposure on the ir that gets through the IR cut filter - giving a washed out but legible IR photo.

It works better if you can mod the camera and remove the IR cut filter (as in this example http://jaa.technova.com.mv/ar[....]10-camera-for-IR.html#comments ), but then your cam ONLY takes IR photos. Even then, you can block off IR light by holding an IR cut filter over the front of the lense (but it must seal out most IR or the photos will have a purple tinge)

However I won't be modding my K750 (not in this way atleast) anytime soon, so I've opted for the IR pass filter method.

It's quite simple really. You could buy an IR pass filter, or simply use the black section at the start of an exposed roll of film. Fix it to the front of the camera such that it fully covers the lense and blocks any visible light from entering the lense. This black strip is invisible to IR light, yet blocks visible light very well.

aka:

To take photos, you need a source of IR light. The best source of IR light is the sun, so outdoor pictures in bright daylight work the best. Anything else and you will need an IR light, such as tungsten lighting. A cheaper option is to make yourself an IR led torch. For close ups you can use an IR remote control to bath the subject in IR light but most remotes are pretty piss weak sources of IR.

Here are my results below. The pictures have been resized and had noise removal applied, and in some cases brightness has been adjusted, but NO colour filters were used in post processing. What you see here are true Infrared photos. You are looking at the subject in a way the bare naked eye never sees.

The pictures are grainy even with noise removal, due to the fact the camera has had to boost iso to capture what little IR gets through the IR cut filter. I also had to use night mode (even though the pics were taken in full daylight):

(note how dark green foliage comes out snow white, and the sky comes out black):

Another freaky feature of IR, is that anything that is opaque for visible light but invisible to IR light becomes see-through:

T610 cover in visible light:

T610 in IR light:

My sis's K750 looks like a T610 in IR light. The black paint on the front casing is completely invisible to IR light, showing the metal underneath:

Note: these pictures are not the same as Thermal Infrared (night vision) photographs. Such photos are taken in the FAR infrared spectrum and need special equipment, not just a filter, to photograph.

[ This Message was edited by: max_wedge on 2005-11-19 14:10 ]
Beep
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-19 15:57
umm. I like that. My k750 will have a bit of film taped over it's lens before the week is out
Good info.
Targett
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-19 16:19
I like... going to try it now!

will post results when I can...
Targett
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-19 16:37
dont work on my K750
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-19 17:01
won't work under normal lighting or indoors, must be outside in bright sun light. (or you must use a source of IR light such as Tungsten lighting or an IR led torch).

Must also be the Black exposed part of the film strip, not the clear part.

This is not susceptible to firmware issues it'll work on all K750's if you get the technique right.
Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-19 20:38
Wow! I freaked out by the 'death' / 'paranormal' of your first pictures! What do you exactly mean by: "You are looking at the subject in a way the bare naked eye never sees. "'?

How is it? White? Colorless? I don't understand...

Please explain as I liked the idea! Thanks!!
JwY
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2005-11-19 20:46
a very interesting read
thanks for sharing the info
looks like i may have a project to do when i have free time
rebirth.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-20 01:31
Dan, they are freaky looking pics alright! Also sort of serene in an "other worldly" way.

What I mean by the naked eye is that the light frequency that is reflected in those pictures contains hardly any visible light, so it's a perspective of looking at the world that your naked eye would never see without this trick..

For example notice how the Dark green foliage is White, and most black paints or dyes are invisible so you can see right through (the K750 front). Black material for example is usually white (the black dye becomes invisible). Yet white things are still white, so it's not just a special effect like negative colour for example - it is an actual image made up of reflected IR light

The image that reaches our eyes of the world around us is made up of reflected visible light, so we don't see things the way they really are, because not all light is visible. IR photography reveals a slice of that hidden world.

govigov
K500
PM
Posted: 2005-11-20 01:57
will it see thru thin layer of clothing,

btw, that was awesome !
marlonski
W902 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-11-20 02:41
max, great pictures mate !
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-20 03:41
marls, thanks mate

govigov, not that I've found yet! Only certain fabrics are transparent under IR light. I think I need a stronger IR pass filter to get rid of any residual visible light, and ideally I should remove the IR cut filter (I'm thinking of doing this to my K700), to get that result.

I'll keep y'all posted! In the interest of science of course
Dan_Aykroyd
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-11-20 04:17
To make it even creepier, I spotted a face in the sky... maybe a death person? An alien? God himself...?

I'll left you wondering...

Oco
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-11-20 09:04
Nice pics!, Esato must have a kind of art gallery thread
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-21 00:54
check the camera picture threads. There are ones for S700, K700 (the biggest), K750 and W800, and I think a couple of other ones here and there.

Vein
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2005-11-21 01:32
Great idea
Vein Autostyling (+28 -0)
www.cliosport.net
www.e30zone.net
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi