Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > The Official iPod users thread

Author The Official iPod users thread
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 14:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ok, I know a lot of guys here use iPods, (and I hope this thread makes those who don't join in )
Use this thread to discuss every thing iPod, Post your favorite Audio/Video podcasts, discuss about generally anything.

As for me, I own the new 5G video iPod, and a Nano.

My favourite podcasts:

Engadget (Audio, Technology and News)
DIVB-TV (Video, Damn funny - Must see. )
Foxxy News (Video, Playmates reading the news , Very nice.)

PS: Before the mods say anything, let me say: Lets keep this thread clean and not post any copyrighted material be it audio or video.
Visit My Blog : Debu's Innovations

'When nine hundred years old you will be, look as good, you will not' - Yoda
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 14:57
I've got a 4th Generation 40GB iPod photo, and my wife has a 4GB Silver iPod mini. My first iPod was a 2nd Generation 10gb iPod (still going strong).

The ony podcast I subscribe to is the Best of Moyles Show (link requires iTunes to be installed).
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 14:59
I'm interested in what the attraction is with ipod? I have music going on all the time wherever and whatever I am doing, but I have never considered ipod as an option for my music storage and playback

I hear so many stories from friends and colleagues about poor build quality, easy scratching (not just the nano). In the early days of ipod there were many complaints about poor battery perforamance and the fact that users could not change the battery

I tend to use my ipaqs, i-mates etc with large memory cards for my music and video entertainment (I have loads of music videos on my k-jam as I prefer those to just listening to music)... so what is it about the ipods?

[ This Message was edited by: masseur on 2005-11-11 14:34 ]
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 15:13
Couldn't agree more matey . . . that's why I am NOT into this - type of gadget ! Most of the time I personally SING the song I wanted to hear, specially when taking a bath ! [addsig]
methylated_spirit
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 15:16
I wasnt a fan of ipods. I wouldn't have bought one. However, i won an ipod shuffle, and i have to say its great. I do a lot of cycling, and its small, light, durable, and the battery lasts well. I son't know if i would buy another iPod, but the Shuffle fits my needs perfectly well, even it would only have been 4th or 5th choice if i had to buy an mp3 player.

[ This Message was edited by: methylated_spirit on 2005-11-11 14:22 ]
Glenny
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-11 15:17
@ masseur
the style, simplicity, big name the menus...

i mean put it this way, would you buy a crap from 'pound store' t-shirt that are guarenteed to last no longer than a few days or a high quality (say nike) t-shirt that is stylish, well known, and high quality... its a matter of opinion really, i havent used iPod's yet, but theres a 4GB iPod nano (black) on top of my mums cupboard for christmas (yeah, i go present hunting, call me immature if you will ) and i cant wait to use it... i have 600 songs (well 450 songs, 150 quotes) at 1.2GB so im gonna get more than 1000 songs!
true about the official thing though, i guess it just gives a little push to the popularity of the thread if it gets into high post count...

[ This Message was edited by: Glenny on 2005-11-11 14:18 ]
Chazzer3
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-11 15:19
I use a 3rd Gen 20GB iPod in immaculate condish, (and also, IMO the third gen is the best type of ipod style. (not necceserily functionality) (but it supports firewire!))

My favourite Podcasts are the Engadget audio, and the Diggnation Video podcast.

I'm looking possible into getting a 5th Gen iPod maybe, dunno yet.... and maybe a shuffle!

Charlie -
Debu
R600
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 15:30
Quote:

On 2005-11-11 14:59:26, masseur wrote:
I'm interested in what the attraction is with ipod? I have music going on all the time wherever and whatever I am doing, but I have never considered ipod as an option for my music storage and playback

I hear so many stories from friends and colleagues about poor build quality, easy scratching (not just the nano). In the early days of ipod there were many complaints about poor battery perforamance and the fact that users could not change the battery

I tend to use my ipaqs, i-mates etc with large memory cards for my music and video entertainment (I have loads of music videos on my k-jam as I prefer those to just listening to music)... so what is it about the ipods?

@masseur: I never had an iPod till i decided to buy one a nano a month ago, I used to share your view till then.

I'll tell you, I use my K-Jam for a LOT of things, but it will never replace my Entire music and video collection, no matter what.

[ This Message was edited by: Debu on 2005-11-11 14:41 ]
tombadier
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 15:49
I had never used an ipod before and never really considered buying one, however I recently 'won' a 4GB Ipod Nano (White) which arrived yesterday

And after playing with it for a while I really like it, It looks fantastic and the menus are fantastic to browse through which is why I believe they are so popular.
It suits me perfectly as I would never fill a 40GB and like the fact that it is so small!
K800i
tombadier (+38, -0)Ebay Refs
Chriscada - Wierd Flat Mate!
Glenny
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-11 15:51
how did ya win it? was it one of those annoying 'stomp the spider!' or 'shoot the duck!'?
Lost Count Official Website My Band! and the forum for it!
404'd!
Jesus loves you, but everyone else hates you...
*Jojo*
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 16:06
H m m m . . . 2 of the posters here LIKED the Ipod after having WON it in a raffle But prior, they are NOT that KEEN in acquiring it ! Maybe I need to WIN 1 in a raffle before finally realizing that it's a MUST have gadget - after all ! Playtime please . . . . [addsig]
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 16:07
For me the attraction is the simplicity of the user interface + controls, the no-brainer integration with the computer (iTunes) and the design. Nobody has made a music player easier to use than Apple. Most rivals have loads of buttons and meaningless info on the screen. Anyone can use an iPod. It automatically syncs with the computer when connected and works straight out of the box... (speaking of which, even the box is better designed than most rivals players! (I'm a web/graphic designer so know a thing or two about packaging and user interface design).

Quote:

In 3 years of iPod usage I've never had a single problem with poor build quality or scratching. My first iPod (still in use by my boss' son) still holds a very good charge and is (for a 3 year old device) remarkably scratchless.

Why anyone would expect an shiny thing such as an iPod to remain scratchless after being jostled around in a pocket or bag with keys and coins is beyond me! This applies equally to mobile phones, iPaqs, iMates, PDAs etc.

In the early days it wasn't easy to change the battery, and like most rechargeable batteries they had a life of 2-3 years. However, everybody I know who had an early iPod has since upgraded to a newer model, not because of battery life, but because of added features/capacity etc.

Quote:

Yes, you can use your iPaq or iMate to play music but could non-techies get a music track playing in a couple of seconds, and then locate others in a similar amount of time?

Also now, there's also the 'cool' factor. For some reason, the press have picked up on the iPod as being the player to have. You see them in music videos, your favourite celebs are pictured with them, even the Queen has one!

It's like all these people who pay over the odds for branded jeans or trainers (not me though). If you were seen by your peers in cheap-o alternatives you'd be ridiculed!

Masseur will know about the Aussie phrase 'tall poppy syndrome' - which is already starting with the iPod... The media and press hype something up until its very popular, only then to turn on it and start putting it down.

Now that the iPod has become so popular, you also see more negative press as well as the positive.

So overall for me - its SIMPLICITY, DESIGN & INTEGRATION...
tombadier
K800 Brown
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 16:13
Quote:

On 2005-11-11 15:51:09, Glenny wrote:
how did ya win it? was it one of those annoying 'stomp the spider!' or 'shoot the duck!'?

No it was not one of those lol
I didn't really win it, thats just the easiest way to explain it!

I got it from one of these Matrix Sites that everyone says does not work! I've had two phones and now this so I'm happy

500th Post!

[ This Message was edited by: tombadier on 2005-11-13 16:34 ]
Glenny
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-11-11 16:15
@JN

@jools Amen... the queen has one? lol...

i think thats been explained... so can we now talk about what non-official official threads talk about? please?
Lost Count Official Website My Band! and the forum for it!
404'd!
Jesus loves you, but everyone else hates you...
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-11-11 16:21
Yep, the Queen has one lookhere and here!

Apple iPod takes usability prize

Apple's iPod Click Wheel has been selected for a UK usability award.

Inaugurating World Usability Day, the UK Usability Professionals' Association held the UKUPA Awards 2005 on November 3 to recognise the most usable products and websites.

A panel of ten experts assembled a short list for the prize, which was voted on by members of the UPA, reports Usability News.

"We need stuff that takes you along the curve," said awards presenter Bill Thompson. "Stuff that's designed to be learnable and doesn't keep reminding you how elegant and smart it is by getting in the way."

Apple's iPod took the prize for best consumer product.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic