Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Sony Ericsson P990 discussion

Previous  123 ... 305306307 ... 451452453  Next
Author Sony Ericsson P990 discussion
Guy H
C905 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 13:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well I don't have a P990 but from the posts on here it seems to cause a lot of issues witht he phone and you have to disable certain features to get it to work. that sounds like a problem to me.

I never get why people make allowances for these thing or have an affection for a phone manufacturer.
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 13:42
no wonder its been delayed for this long, still the issues aren't rectified!
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 13:42
Actually system ram should be sufficient, and I think the great find of increase to large cache is awesome. Just remember SE didnt design the P990i's browser, it was OPERA!

Is there the ability to set the cache to the memory card instead of the phones RAM?!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 13:44
no setting for that I'm afraid
PeterKay
W995 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 13:45
@masseur, are we going to get a mini review from yourself of the P990i?
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 13:48
Quote:

On 2006-08-17 13:42:25, PeterKay wrote:
no wonder its been delayed for this long, still the issues aren't rectified!

I think we all knew it was going to be full of bugs, But I still think once it has been through the European providers full testing program things should start to improve a bit, I have always maintained that this is one of the reasons for the long delays we are seeing in its release by the networks.
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:02
i canīt seem to remember people that have it saying "its full of bugs"...only people that want to have it but canīt right now say such things...makes them feel better, i understand

SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
Nitro Fan
W960
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:13
Quote:

On 2006-08-17 14:02:54, ares wrote:
i canīt seem to remember people that have it saying "its full of bugs"...only people that want to have it but canīt right now say such things...makes them feel better, i understand

Hi Ares,
I can only comment on what I am reading! seems fairly bug ridden to me there are more threads on its faults than it successes at present
I can have one now the same as anyone else here, but I wont waste Ģ500 for something that is not right yet! I will wait for my Free Of Charge UK retail model now that will make me feel good!
I have owned the ... T68i T610, P800, P900, P910, P990, W950, P1, W960 But SE have now totally lost the plot.
darky
K750
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:15
@ares I was able to access the p990 tested it for half a day and to be honest thought it was a piece of crap, the only reason I wanted it was because it was a touchscreen/smart phone and WIFI as well as the prospect of getting a 4gb msduo in it and later an 8 gb

the wifi is crap the phone is slow when browsing it keeps crashing when I try to multitask while browsing (listen to music...etc) it keeps crashing while surfing and the memory gradually decreases over time till it ...wait for it... CRASHES AGAIN not to mention barely any good applications for it yet (the crashes could be some units as not all of the production line but still it crashed a lot and yes it was a retail device)

it looks lovely the touchscreen is a dream and I love the fact that it is msduo and not micro but the phone has serious software flaws that are not gonna be fixed with the next firmware...

waiting for my tytn to arrive I already downloaded 50+ FREEWARE programs and gonna buy a few of the good ones not to mention it is customizable to the extreme, only thing I hate is it's the new micro sd which is currently at max 2gb but hopefully they will release a 4gb one this year

[ This Message was edited by: darky on 2006-08-17 13:16 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:20
Hi all,
i have tried to resist posting anything here as i really don't won't to be a kill joy or rain on your parade. But as much as i hoped all these delays meant you all received fully tested and working phones with only a few glitches i have to wonder exactly what the Beta testing involved was it just to make sure the phone turned on and off?.

Prom1 you say
"Just remember SE didn't design the P990i's browser, it was OPERA!"

So that makes it alright then does it? SE approved it and added it to their phone as the installed browser it is not a 3rd party app you installed so no IMO that isn't alright far from it. Even if it was a 3rd party add on i would demand a refund from Opera if they implemented it for this unit what testing did they do that delivered an unfinished product it is not like they were pressed for time.

Personally i am not surprised at the number of problems shown so far and remember it is early days wait till you have had them a while longer and started to add more data to your devices and see what happens then. Not of course forgetting how many firmware upgrades you will need to do with all the associated problems of back ups not restoring etc etc.

I have said this before but until everyone stops accepting phones that are a work in progress nothing is going to change. If you all were not so desperate for such a heavily delayed unit that is at a premium price and all sent them back as not fit for purpose and demanded a refund. SE would have to desist from charging you all to be their Beta testers but for now you accept the current situation and IMO get what you deserve.

I am sorry if this offends or upsets any of you but wake up and smell the coffee the reason they get away with it is you pay them to do it and in doing so are actually encouraging them IMO. Name me one other product you would accept like this that you would not be screaming for a full refund on.

Marc
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:21
I seem to be having competely the opposite experience with my P990.

I am doing probably 25% wifi and 75% UMTS and wifi seems incredibly fast to the point, as I mentioned previously, where I actually tested to see if it was really 802.11g (which it wasn't of course)

The P990 is more stable in its original firmware than the M600 was but both still have a few issues to iron out before I would happily recommend them
jayce
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:28
While the phone may not be "full of bugs" you have to wonder why did SE delay the release so long?
It was announced in October 2005 and won't be shipping to UK operators until September.

Surely you don't announce a replacement phone until it's nearly ready, so how come it took around 11 months from announcement to shipping?
It's almost as if SE have gone back to the drawing board and invented the smart phone all over again.

Frankly there's no way I'd pay Ģ600 to get a phone this flakey. I'm skipping the P990 and will wait to see what the successor looks like. Perhaps that'll have more than 15Mb of usable RAM, or the browser won't crash on startup ...

Johnex
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:45
listen to masseur guys, he knows what he is talking about.

@apanjwani: the phone for me was definately worth the wait man. The combination of wifi, 3g and the full browser rocks. The phone does not crash on me for anything else than using opera, and that has reduced too, with the thanks of my great find (large cache setting). People saying that the phone crashes on multitasking is just bull.....not a single crash playing 25fps vids, mp3 at 310kbps or calling etc.
Sainty
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:52
I honestly do believe that by the time it gets released by UK networks the P990 will be very stable and reliable much like my memories of the P910. Everyone that has one now are kind of beta testers in my opinion. Quite funny that even SE are saying its not been released properly in the UK yet. I think all the places you guys have got them from are like the first lot off the retail production line that were maybe for network providers to test as a retail package or something.

But I definately do think this phone will be quite something. And even now after reading previous posts I am still looking forward to the day when I recieve mine
Sainty - Ex Vodafone Sales Advisor

Nokia 402 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 3510i -> Nokia 6100 -> SE V800i -> Samsung D500 -> SE K750i -> SE W900i -> SE K800i -> SE P990i -> SE K850i -> SE W960i -> SE C905i -> SE X10i
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-08-17 14:52
@Dogmann, "oh pull your tongue out my ass! Dont tease me I dont like that. Your not a dog are you Dogmann? But you've got the characteristics of a dog, except loyalty." ... to coin a quote from BrickTop.

Seriously, though Opera was the ONLY company that could make a working browser because they've the resources to do so. I have still yet to see NetFront pick up the puck ... although I'm sure their salivating at the opportunity.

Imagine the P990 threads about no announced browser for 4 months after anitial announcement?!

I'm not defending it, I'm at least offering suggestions to provoke thought to those that OWN a p990; since I myself do not. I dont like to complain to much without first thought and trial & error.

FYI: if the P990i was somewhat perfect now ... then there wouldnt be much sought after them to improve it or plan firmware updates. However I do agree with your beta testing point>> yet its flawed! WE ALL KNOW P990i's in the retail channel is NOT official! Nothing announce from SE to state its shipping.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 305306307 ... 451452453  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic