Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Review: Touch SRC-100 Remote for K750/W800

123  Next
Author Review: Touch SRC-100 Remote for K750/W800
iambasil
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-08 14:23
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I spent 2 hours writing a review of this, but it got rejected because I used capitals in the subject (SRC).
I couldn't retrieve it and ain't writing it again unless someone wants me to.

If you care, reply and I'll do it all over again!

Learnt a lesson - copy before you hit submit!

Edit:
Due to 'popular' demand, here's the review:

Touch SRC-100 Remote Unit

Functions:
Fantastic for media player!
- Joystick is the best addition to remotes since the swivvel end on the old minidisc remotes. No need to click/press - just brush your finger over it to control.
- Joystick push controls play/pause - funtion is identical to the 'play' button on side of phone
- Joystick directional movement is (up/down) volume +- and also (left/right) previous/next track. Hold down these directions and it fast forward/rewinds track too!
- Joystick left/right doesn't do anything on radio though, so to change radio station you'd still need to use the phone buttons (on K750 anyway)
- Button above joystick is voice button - same as on the other SE handsfree.
- Side hold switch locks joystick controls
- Internal white light flicks on for a couple of seconds when a button is pressed

Build:
- Connector is good - same as other SE handsfree connectors (but with a couple more pins)
- Main unit feels a bit plasticy, but is built well, and a positive is that it is light
- Joystick is excellent quality and reliable
- Voice button is noisy and feels as cheap as Britney, but it is reliable.
- Hold switch is very stiff - it means you have to unclip the remote from your clothes to get a grip to switch it. Bad.
- Rear clip is a sensible size so that it will actually stay clipped to your clothes. It is also a good tightness although a bit creaky at the join
- General colouring/markings are good. It does look the part. Colouring can scratch off the rear clip with heavy wear... no biggie though.
- Because the plastic is thin, when the white light flicks on it is visible through the plastic in parts, not just around the buttons - thin plastic and that.

Microphone:
- Great mic.
- Mic is on the correct side of the unit for the usual earphones where short end of wire is on left earpiece. eg. picks up your voice perfectly when clipped to chest pocket of a suit.
- Worth considering length of your earphone lead though, coz if it's not v. short, it'll probably hang too low... but that's the same for the HPM-70

Antenna use:
- Comparing to the HPM-50 (?) that comes with the K750i, the reception is not as good.
- Not much worse, but far more temperamental on how straight the cord is lying.
- As I said earlier, cannot change frequency/station with joystick... clearly not built with radio in mind.

Touch Earphones

Like Britney - looks great, crap in bed
Although these earphones look stylish, the sound quality just doesn't do them justice.

Build:
- Look great in my opinion
- Shafts feel very solid and of excellent build quality
- Ear bits have flex on the joint with the shaft, which is good because you can get a better position in your ears as a result.
- The rubber trimmings on the ear bits don't quite fit right and might need a bit of re-jigging, but it ain't a big problem
- The design is good for comfort, because the ear bits stand out from the shafts there is no pressure put on that gap at the lower part of your ear - although it can be hard to find their best position in your ear
- The cable is a bit long to leave the remote hanging, so need to clip it in order for mic to be pick up sound well (no complaint on mic though - it's top notch)

Sound:
- At first I thought "great" as it seemed to get rid of the crackling at high level bass... and then I realised it's just coz it played the bass so quiet!
- Compared to HPM-50 (? from K750), the volume output is a little lower
- The bass is considerably lower
- The mid and high end are blurred together
- Lacks any real clarity and definition in the sound
- Going back to the bass, it isn't just lower... it is bloody awful and doesn't sound anything like it should!! The HPM-70 earphones would pee on these!
PS I'm picky about sound quality so others may not have such a problem with it.

Summary

The remote unit's functions are excellent and work reliably. The joystick control is perfect for a remote - just brushyour finger over to control. The unit is light, relatively sturdy and looks the part - although a bit plasticy. The microphone is excellent. It's just a shame that the radio qualities are lacking.
The earphones... well, you could live with them, but if you care for top quality sound you'd be looking to use another pair.

As a guide, I got the remote and earphones for $55 off ebay - £35 all in. Love the fact that I don't have to pull my phone out anymore. I'd be even happier if I had a W800 (rather than my K750) as the colour scheme would match. One thing I'm gonna have to do though is buy a better set of earphones to go with it.

For those of you thinking HPM-70 or SRC-100, I don't have the HPM-70s to compare, but I'd bet my life the earphones on the HPMs are a lot better. But, assuming you can get a reasonable price for the SRC-100 and already have a decent set of earphones to plug in, I'd say the functions would be worth the little extra... it's a good unit.

Alternatives

Sony Ericsson have their own remote that will be coming out with the W900 - this also has a digital display. This won't match the W800 style, but given SE's history, it will probably be better quality - especially in the radio side!! From examining pics I've seen, it seems the digital display won't show much (radio frequencies etc)... we'll have to see.

Hope this is useful info for you.

Basil

[ This Message was edited by: iambasil on 2005-10-08 23:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: iambasil on 2005-10-09 15:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: iambasil on 2005-10-18 21:20 ]
Coxy
C902 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-08 14:33
Unlucky mate! you actualy got one then? It would be nice if you could do it again but it might be asking too much.
Feedback (+58, -0) Platinum Trader!
admad
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2005-10-08 16:17
I want to see this too, please.
whistla
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-08 18:09
me 3
jeko.uk
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2005-10-08 18:14
me 4
iambasil
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-09 00:51
Just updated it for you all above.

Baz
defensive
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-09 00:53
nice review theremate, very helpful to me, you have convinced me to NOT purchase one of these [addsig]
iambasil
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-09 01:56
No worries, glad to be of service. Baz
randomtask77
W995 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-09 05:06
It's also kinda cool that the phone recognizes it as the "SRC 100". Just to add to the review, that pushing in the center joystick of the remote is similar to the "play" button that's on the side of the phone. So if you have this button set on the radio, then everytime you press the joystick in, it'll start the radio, or the media player, last used, etc.

Just to note though that if the last media that was played on the phone is video (either a movie, or some kind of video clip) that if the center joystick on the button is pushed to resume playing the video that only the audio portion will be played. The video would not be resumed and you have to use the phone controls to see it. Not sure if this is duplicated on the W800 as I've tried this with my K750. Just thought I'd add to it for those that want to know a little more about the remote.

iambasil
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-09 16:49
Spot on. Thanks for the addition, will add above.
defensive
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-09 16:52
I think its a nice addition to the D750/K750/W800 but just a little too much of a gimmic for myself, and to be fair, I'd rather see what song was being played on a nice screen on my phone than fiddling around with yet more wires, etc in my pocket. [addsig]
chrelbr
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-10 01:58
Aren't the unit a bit clumsy when it comes to the "handsfree" part?
It just makes no sense to have that thing attached to your t-shirt neck sleeve =/
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-10-11 20:20
i´d love to have a remote, but i can´t sacrifice the superior sound quality of the hpm 70´s
iambasil
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-10-12 00:23
You wouldn't have to sacrifice the sound quality:
You can use any earphones with the remote - you don't have to use the Touch earphones supplied.

B
defensive
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-12 00:58
Quote:

On 2005-10-10 01:58:36, chrelbr wrote:
Aren't the unit a bit clumsy when it comes to the "handsfree" part?
It just makes no sense to have that thing attached to your t-shirt neck sleeve =/

Exactly the reason I don't want to buy one, just seems like even more bulk to carry around for such little benifit of being so lazy I can't be bothered to;

1. reach into my pocket

2. grab my phone with both hands and use my full upper body strength to pull it out

3. actually have to press 2 buttons to change track unlike just the one on the remote

4. put the phone back into my pocket and dance again..

5. figure out how the hell I managed to do all that without the aid of a ''Touch SRC-100 Remote Unit''

Just my personal opinion, its an over-hyped, over-priced gimmick that everyone will want so much they waste their money and buy it (just like the Ipod, but thats another story altogether) [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi