Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Accessories > Memory Stick M2

123  Next
Author Memory Stick M2
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-01 09:52
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Ok guys, just in SONY introduce its 3rd MS which is way way smaller than the MS ProDuo... Its the M2!! We definately will see a new products with this M2 slots.. be it SE phones to the next gen of PSP... OR they will provide an adaptor for M2 to fit into ProDuo slots... Check it!! It is so small... a size of ur fingernail..

So this is the M2, 1/4th on size compared to the MemoryStick Duo and 1.2mm thick/thin (15x12.5x1.2mm)
With a theoretical maximum capacity of 32 Gb !!!!!
&
The theoretical maximum transfer speed is 160Mbps.

Who needs HD now....
Never Give Up!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-01 09:59
here is the press release for this

SANDISK AND SONY DEVELOP ¡°MEMORY STICK MICRO¡± (M2) FORMAT
Ultra-small IC recording media for mobile phones

SanDisk Corporation and Sony Corporation today announced the development of the ¡°Memory Stick Micro¡± format, an ultra-small IC recording media designed to meet the growing storage needs of highly compact, multifunctional mobile phones. Licensing for the development of ¡°Memory Stick Micro¡± compatible hardware will begin October 3, 2005.

¡°Memory Stick Micro¡± media is approximately one-quarter the size of ¡°Memory Stick PRO Duo¡± media, yet only about 1.2 mm thick. The media's edges are slotted lengthwise to allow for more slim-line designed connectors to reduce space in host devices. As dual-voltage media, Memory Stick Micro supports devices operating at 3.3 volts and 1.8 volts.

Memory Stick Micro is designed as an externally removable media with a controlled eject function to prevent users losing the media. Users will be able to insert Memory Stick Micro into an adapter for exchanging data to a Memory Stick PRO compatible product.

Dr. Eli Harari, president and chief executive officer of SanDisk Corporation, said ¡°The Memory Stick PRO format co-developed with Sony has become a highly successful product line for us due to its popularity with a wide range of consumer electronic products such as digital cameras and videogame consoles. Sony and SanDisk recognize the rapidly growing market opportunity for memory cards with multimedia mobile phones, and are joining forces to develop the ultra-small Memory Stick Micro format to foster development of extremely compact multimedia mobile phones.¡±

Akira Kubota, NC President of Micro Systems Network Company, Sony Corporation said ¡°Sony's collaboration with SanDisk Corporation has continued to develop since our initial announcement of the joint Memory Stick PRO format development in 2003. Today's joint announcement of the Memory Stick Micro format provides a new, versatile IC recording media for mobile products such as mobile phones for sharing entertainment and data.¡±
Since the September 1998 market introduction of Memory Stick, cumulative shipments of media have achieved 145 million units as of August 2005*1. In recent years, Memory Stick media has been used not only to store still images of digital still cameras and sharing data among PCs, but has also been widely used for entertainment purposes such as playing back video and music content. As mobile phones become more advanced with varied functions, including video and music playback, there is an increasing need for smaller, high-capacity media which this product addresses.

The Memory Stick Micro media will be made available in 1st half of 2006.

Memory Stick Micro Specifications Dimensions 15 ¡¿ 12.5 ¡¿ 1.2 mm

Volume 225 mm3
Connector Pin 11-pin
Maximum Capacity 32GB (Theoretical) *2
Max. Data Transfer Rate 160 Mbps (Theoretical) *3
Operating Voltage 1.7 - 1.95 V and 2.7 - 3.6 V
Interface Serial I/F and 4-bit parallel I/F
Operating Temperature -25¡­+85¡ÆC
Copyright Protection Technology MagicGate
msmmsm
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-01 10:09
Just in time for the next range of phones I hope.
Very impressive size.
sailaab
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-10-01 10:11
Are we far off when phones (without much radiation etc.) would be small and embedded in human bodies. These micro MS are getting me to hallucinate ! Scary to think how we'll cope with technology as we go older.

This message was posted from a S700

K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-01 10:18
I dont mind having 2 M2 slots in my phone... *hint-hint SE*
Imagine its alot cheaper purchasing 2 1GB M2 than having a 2GB M2... and wat if i have 2 32GB M2 that make 64GB!! Dunno what i'll be seeing.. Is it the end of HD already?? Imagine the size if laptops runs on this babies... no more huge, heavy, moving parts, batt consuming hard drive...
Never Give Up!
mwjdavies
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-10-01 11:57
So hopefully this time next year these babies will be in our phones, instead of these bulky ms pro duo's!!! LOL

Theoretical 32gb! WOAH! Bring it on!!!
I aim to fail, and then do so. Is that success or failure.
rrojas260
W800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-01 16:45
Wasnt MSDUO Pro 32gb maximum too?

Foro Venezolano
Owner of www.VeneMovil.es.vg WebSite

[ This Message was edited by: rrojas260 on 2005-10-01 15:46 ]
jeko.uk
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2005-10-01 16:51
32gb in a phone that would be unreal
Jon
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-10-03 08:55
Who said MS DUO's where big, heavy or bulky!? I think theyre just right! and don't see why we need a smaller MS.

Jon
Luke-the-magic-man
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-03 08:58
I sorta agree with you john, but if you lookinside a phone they achually take up quite alot of room
Check out my sales
I am a mac fanboy .
I will honor Laffens gift of P990 flip free avartar, but I sold the p990
sailaab
S700
PM
Posted: 2005-10-04 10:09
In my Opinion..they (flash storage) are the future of data storage.
With no moving parts & small footprint (making it easier to design small devices) products currently using magnetic Data storage solutions (Hard Disks) would start moving to new solutions like these.

We still are a year from seeing mobile phones with it becoming mainstream though.
Quote:

On 2005-10-03 08:55:32, Jon wrote:
Who said MS DUO's where big, heavy or bulky!? I think theyre just right! and don't see why we need a smaller MS.

Jon

Today is the First Day of the Rest of my Life!
SE TRIVIA
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-05 20:50
we will definately see a price fall for pro duos... so do not buy any 1GB or 2GB ms pro duo any sooner...
Never Give Up!
batesie
T66 black
PM
Posted: 2005-10-05 21:09
nice nice. its been kept nice and quiet by sony up until now.... [addsig]
Yazan24
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-10-05 21:25
I find it useless. Or atleast useless at this point in time.

There are memory sticks close to that size at this point in time, And I think its just to be able to make more expensive sticks, and change everything to use those more expensive sticks.

And it wont reach 32 GB max not anytime soon, its theoretical also.

Duo's are a max of 32, and I think memory sticks (regular) are that as well.

So max you'll see of those are 2/4 GBs from here to 5 years.
-Kamikaze-
Esato- The first Biased Sony Ericsson Forums
MP3 Ringtones? Oh yeah Laffen killed them.
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-10-05 23:31
I got a whole loads of products that will benefit from this M2... an mp3 watch... S-WATCH. Wireless MP3 Headphones. Stereo Bluetooth Mp3 Headset. This is really a surprise move!! Hell maybe SONY will surprise us with cheap prices for this babies, to totally dig everyone with this new media!! I hope they wont delay the PlayStation3 bcoz of this new M2.
Never Give Up!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi