Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > cycovision - pc help thread

Previous  123 ... 125126127
Author cycovision - pc help thread
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2009-09-28 15:58
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Vista (I think SP1). I've been told to press F10 during a reboot to see what options I have there. Hopefully all the original software will be reinstalled.
thomas93
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2009-10-03 12:45
I have a Toshiba satellite, Pentium M 512mb Ram SP, the usual. But now on boot up it hangs (as in doesn't go past) on the BIOS and no icons up prompts appear, the hard drive appears to be fine (will dump it into my mac soon to test) and so does the RAM. What could be wrong?
(+10 -0) WoRld Tour
7 User!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2009-10-18 18:04
I have a slow boot problem on my wifes desktop

basically, I have 2 backups, one is a base backup which is as the machine came + any windows updates. restoring this allows me to reset the machine to a good state when she stuffs it up.

The second backup is all of her "my documents", about 60gb worth all in a directory tree with one directory at the top

After restoring the first saveset the pc boots super fast but after restoring the second backup it boots really slow. Originally I tried restoring her files into the new "my documents" directory but even if I restore them into some weirdly named directory off the top of the C drive, the machine boots slow, so I don't think its directly related to anything in her files.

Indeed the delay is from between power on and the windows starting message with the sliding bar. Further testing also showed that the delay is between power on and reacting to the F8 key to get the Advanced boot menu where you can choose to do a safe boot. Once I get that far, the actual loading of windows itself is as fast as would be expected.

so what could be happening between power on and it offering the F8 options, or windows starting, that could cause this delay, and only after I have loaded her files onto the drive?

I've done this several times with exactly the same results each time!
carkitter
V640 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-12-16 09:55
I want to upgrade the RAM and Operating System in my laptop and I'd like some advice...

Specs:
Sony Vaio VGN-CS13G/Q 14.1" screen
Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor T3400 (2.16)GHz
250GB HDD
2GB DDR2 667MHz (PC2-5300) 200 pin SODIMM (upgraded from the original 1GB)
Windows 7 Professional 32 bit

I intend to replace 32 bit W7 with 64 bit W7 ( my processor is 64 bit capable I believe) and I'm wondering how much extra RAM I can install. Could I go past 4GB or would there be some hardware limitation preventing it? Do I install the RAM first on 32 bit W7 then change to 64 bit, or install the new OS on only 2GB RAM and then upgrade? Or even remove 32 bit, switch off, change the RAM, switch on and clean install the 64 bit? Will 32 bit Windows Vista Home Premium (on another partition) cope with 4GB/6GB/???GB RAM upgrade?

Also, I have a third partition containing 32 bit Ubuntu which I may or may not upgrade to 64 bit. Ubuntu seems to have control of the Boot sequence, will removing the existing 32 bit Unbuntu and clean installing 64 bit upset the booting of the other (Windows) OS's?

I will be getting an external HDD to back everything up on before I start messing about with this stuff.

Any comments?
Best Debater - Esato Awards 2010
Best Phone Review - Esato Awards 2008
Visiting NZ with your mobile - all you need to know
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-16 10:55
Your laptop (Sony Vaio VGN-CS13G/Q) can run up to 4gb RAM according to the Crucial RAM website. You would need to upgrade to the 64 bit version of Windows 7 IF your processor can handle it (don't know off hand about yours).
The RAM you are wanting is DDR2 memory with support for DDR2 PC2-6400 speed and you can install modules one at a time, and you can mix and match different amounts of RAM in each socket (each socket in your laptop can take up to 2gb RAM). But because your computer supports dual-channel memory configurations, you should install in identical pairs (preferably in kits) for optimal performance.
It is going to be very costly, as in the UK for a 4gb (2x2gb) kit, it is £75.89 inc. VAT.
Thanks
[ This Message was edited by: lukechris on 2009-12-16 09:57 ]
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2009-12-16 11:05
masseur:
That will be due to how windows fragments the files on the hard drive. If you put those files on a separate partition, it should be faster.

carkitter:
32Bit OS's get about 3.5gb if you have 4gb ram, so they still work. Reinstalling ubuntu shouldn't be a problem because the ubuntu bootloader automatically detects windows and linux installs. If you don't know if your processor is 64-bit compatible, try intel's utility or cpu-z.
HornyNick
W980
PM
Posted: 2010-01-26 00:10
Hi.
I have a lappy with vista installed and sky broadband.
Over the past couple of years I read in a few places that a hardwired connection is significantly quicker than wi-fi. So I tonight I thought I would try it. From (the little) I understood I thought all you had to do was plug the yellow ethernet cable into the lappy and the back of the router and turn the router off. This has not worked as I just got no connection at all. I looked in "network and sharing centre" but nothing obvious stood out and I didnt want to start messing with things in case I totally screwed it up. Can anyone tell me what I need to change in order to get it to work?
TIA
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-26 00:54
You need to turn the router on. On broadband there shouldnt be a difference in speed as the wired connection is upto 100MBPs, the wireless is upto 54MBPs (normally) but the broadband speed is normally only upto 8 MBPs so bot the wireless and wired can easily handle the broadband speed.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
HornyNick
W980
PM
Posted: 2010-01-26 17:55
Cheers. Another advantage is that I dont constantly lose my wifi connection and have to restart my lappy. I was losing it at least once an hour before for unknown reasons. It hasnt happened once since I plugged the cable in thankfully.
HornyNick
W980
PM
Posted: 2010-01-26 18:57
damn! I knew I shouldnt have typed that last message. I lost my connection and am now back on wifi because it refuses to connect via the cable. I hate this lappy and i hate sky! Any ideas?
lukechris
M600 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-01-26 20:24
Yeah ring 'em and complain, happened to a friend all the time (same problem). They sent him a new router touter
larry 68
Satio Red
PM
Posted: 2010-01-29 22:45
Urgent advice needed.
I have SE PC Suite installed and today on going online on my laptop I received an update message from PC Suite
I clicked to download and the file was 16mb, I also noticed Avast looked as if it was updating at same time
Soon as PC SUite finished I got a message from Avast (not the normal warning style) advising -
suspicious file found C/ PROGRAMME FILES/ SONY ERICSSON PC SUITE/ SUP SERV.EXE
1st it asked if i wanted to delete and now it wants me to shut the pc down and scan.
Any ideas please
londonlad123
Xperia X10 White
PM
Posted: 2010-02-20 17:44
How can i access a logical drives data? my dell laptop has broken down and when i connect its hdd to the pc i can see the os partion and the
recovery but not the c drive with all my data. both the working drives look like normal partitions but the c drive looks like a logical drive .

Anyway i can access my data?
ofiaich
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2010-06-05 21:48
Hi everyone!

In my Windows directory, I have lots of files..

Can the ones that I have marked just be deleted?

I guess I could run the disk clean-up?

Any advice appreciated!

Ofiaich

esato since Nov, 12, 2001
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 125126127
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic