Esato

Forum > Regional > Americas > ipaq3870 bt t68m gprs cingular so cal

Author ipaq3870 bt t68m gprs cingular so cal
Dan Vail
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-09-07 11:43
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Life is good. I can hammer out emails on my micro keyboard with the ipaq3870 on top and they go out on the T68M 50 feet away in my bucket boss bag! I know how to get to the cingular tech support department that the 611 operators are trained to say doesn’t exist. They are useless but I know the phone number and will give it to anyone who asks me. The cingular data connect mobile office kit for the ipaq3800s and T68m does not work and they don't care. It includes a serial cable which does not work and they say they do not support bt. However, bt is the only way to make it work. The repackaged smith micro software does work if you can make it get past the wizard. Hint, use IRD2 to get past the wizard and then reconfigure for bt. All the so-called techs that I talked to at smith micro, cingular, compaq, and sony ericsson are totally clueless and absolutely useless. It is truly an amature clown show. This forum is the only source for useful information. The people at these companies are trained to be political correct, uphold corporate political imperatives and placate weak-minded people with useless verbiage that does not even begin to address any technical problems. Their jedeye mind tricks don’t work on anything further up the food chain than a hollywood celebrity or freshwater crawdad. If you want anything these companies sell to actually work, this is your best resource. Don't waste your only truly limited resource (life) on these idiots.
Deltayoda
T68i
PM
Posted: 2002-09-07 15:15
I totally agree.
I had the T68i way before Cingular even conceived they'd get the T68.
The only way I could get GPRS was by tricking these idiots into thinking I had a T61z, which worked. I also had an IPAQ I wanted to use with GPRS, but I was left without that simply because Cingular didn't support it back then.

They did eventually support it, but it was short lived when T-Mobile sprung in to California, and now I actually have GPRS and I can use my IPAQ without problems. T-Mobile had no problems with me using my own phone, unlike Cingular which discourages people from using your own phone. It is a bit slow here (9600, ack), but I heard some areas get faster connections.

I am not saying T-Mobile doesn't have it's own trickery, they lowered there 1000 minutes to 600 minutes, and there first few months of great customer service has dropped to almost to the moronic behavior of Cingular.

But frankly, mobile companies are personally pissing me off with there rapid changes and constant 'forceful' advertisement for you to spend $500 a month on a new phone. In fact, there is an idiot advertiser on this forum who's education is that of a 1st grader and is almost totally illiterate.
skier
T68 grey
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-09-09 04:02
Quote:

However, bt is the only way to make it work.

I use my Casio E200 with my T68i via IR and it connects fine to GPRS. I have T-Mobile (VStream?!?). I used the instructions at http://mork.home.mindspring.com/ipaqsettings.htm
Cingular users will probably have to use different DNS addresses, but it should work.
I saved the $$$ that I was gonna spend on a bluetooth card!
Dan Vail
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-09-09 07:26
You are correct Skier. The IR will work for the link between the ipaq3870 and the T68 to use GPRS. The only thing that doesn't work is the cable that comes with the 59 dollar connect kit that the Cingular technical support person told me I had to buy from them in order to use GPRS. I like BT because the connection is RF and does not have to be deployed in a special physical orientation as the IR does and because it comes as an integral component of both the T68 and the ipaq3870 I didn’t have to buy anything extra. I can walk around my clients’ sites and the ipaq will beep me when I have new mail. Then, I just whip it out and read email on the go and don’t even have to think about the phone in my tool bag.

The last thing I had to get working was DNS. The so-called tech support people at Cingular did not know what DNS is. First, they told me I could get all the settings I would need from their developers site. So I went there, signed up and downloaded the recommended document “Device and Software Settings”. Their official document says that DNS addresses are dynamically assigned to data connect users via IPCP during the PPP session initiation for CSD and GPRS. Well, the ipaq doesn’t tell you if it successfully picked up a set of DNS addresses during session initiation so you find this out when you try to browse and get a “page not found” error and your email client can’t find the mail servers you configured by name. So I called them back and told them about my findings, they still had no idea what DNS is. They told me that the software that comes with the connect kit would automatically set everything for me. After finding a way to get the wizard past the part where it fails to find the cable they provide, it then configured everything for me. Well, everything except DNS. That’s right, the ipaq still couldn’t resolve names. I had to enter IP addresses for mail servers (which are constantly changing) in the ipaq mail client software and the Internet Explorer Browser couldn’t resolve any URLs entered as FQDNs. Finally, I just manually entered the Primary and Secondary DNS IP addresses provided in the previously mentioned document.
The Cingular DNS server addresses are:

66.209.10.201 and 66.209.10.202 for CSD
199.176.84.27 and 199.176.84.28 for GPRS

Now the ipaq resolves names just fine.

This is probably not the right forum for a rant about Cingular so I am trying to include some useful information for persons who have similar equipment and provider.
jujubee
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2002-09-10 10:22
Hi.. I have the 3870, cingular, and t68 as well.. but they won't let me have gprs. they keep saying it's unavailable. if I use that link and the cingular dns, will it work for me? how much additional did you have to pay to get the gprs? i've tried connect my bt's but it won't let me do anything. other than sending emails, what other types of transfer do you use it for?

i can't think of a reason to keep the t68, the phone is so slow. anything comparable coming out in the us for use with cingular?
funks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-09-11 02:46
> 66.209.10.201 and 66.209.10.202 for CSD
> 199.176.84.27 and 199.176.84.28 for GPRS

Guys, the GPRS DNS is flakey at best.. At least I can't resolve anything with it most of the time, unlike the CSD DNS servers which works well (using it with my GPRS Connection as the DNS)..

>Hi.. I have the 3870, cingular, and t68 as well.. but they won't let >me have gprs. they keep saying it's unavailable. if I use that link and >the cingular dns, will it work for me? how much additional did you >have to pay to get the gprs?

Tell them you want Wireless Internet - EXPRESS <-- if they don't have that in your area then you most likely won't be able to get GPRS..
It's 6.99 for 1 MB..

>i can't think of a reason to keep the t68, the phone is so slow. >anything comparable coming out in the us for use with cingular?

I'm waiting for the Motorola pt280i to come out..
renato
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2002-10-08 08:37
Sorry, for the multiple posts. Have a nervous finger. Well, this thread is a little bit old but I thought it might be useful to post my success story.

Anyway, I tried also the ipaq setting for t-mobile mentioned by skier.
The only problem was as usual the DNS settings. Most of the name servers don't work, at least not here in NYC. The ones that worked for me are the last 2 listed :
216.155.175.170 & 216.155.175.171

All the others ones don't work at all. I also tried using my own name servers and that would work just fine, wouldn't there be the redirect to getmorespeed.t-mobile.com, which is not a valid public DNS entry but apparently only known to the t-mobile DNS servers. Therefore, you need a working DNS server from t-mobile.

So, I was more than happy when it finally worked and went on to that texas site to test my speed:
http://www.texan.net/speed.htm
..... and I was blown away .....
81600 Kbps / 10000 KBytes/s most of the times , with lowest at 68000 Kbps.
That would be an equivalent of a T2 and bigger pipe.
Looks like it measured the speed of the t-mobile proxy.

I went to CNet and used their bandwidth meter and got a result of 63Kbps which is pretty good. It's almost better than single channel ISDN. I ran the test again with the same result.

I'm quite impressed and quite happy that it works so well. I hope they start bringing down the prices for GPRS , otherwise this will get expensive.if it becomes a habit of mine to go online using my T68.
I am writing this while using GPRS. I connect my laptop via IR to the T68. BTW, I'm running Linux and don't use any of the software provided by t-mobile or Sony Ericsson.
funks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-10-08 23:35
As for cingular being clueless, yes they are..

Imagine what it will be like when they roll out 3G (if ever).

[ This Message was edited by: funks on 2002-10-08 22:37 ]
ipXpert
P800
PM
Posted: 2002-10-09 08:18
Hello Dan, I am in Orange and get over to Irvine often. I would like to compare my set up with yours one day if you have time. Maybe Dietrichs Coffee or something? My t68i and 3870 work well together but I had to do all the settings myself. I had to "trick" Cingular into turning it on. They didn't even know what the service was when I called. Do you know if T-mobils GPRS is faster? I have heard that they use a completely diferent backbone of software and hardware that does a better job with GPRS than Cingular.
jnonhoffzieg
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-10-10 01:43
Was about to get an iPaq and then I saw this topic:

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=11554&forum=3#post147694

Anybody have more info on a release date for these?

-Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: jnonhoffzieg on 2002-10-10 10:16 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi