Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Sony Ericsson File Manager Desktop Icon Un-Deleteable

Author Sony Ericsson File Manager Desktop Icon Un-Deleteable
Jellyman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-01 01:22
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hey, A few weeks ago I got my K750i, So, I installed it and everything is working ok. Except one problem. When the software was installed(I used the installation CD) it placed an icon on my desktop called "Sony Ericsson File Manager". When I right click it I get these options.

Open
Explore
Create Shortcut
Rename

No delete? When I click it and press DEL key, Nothing happenes, When I drag it to the bin, I get an error icon on my mouse pointer.

Is there anyway I can delete this icon? Or move it?
BlackBauer24
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-01 02:25
Hi, if you are running XP try the (add or remove files) option in control panel settings.

This message was posted from a P910

kidscruff
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-01 14:28
Hi Jellyman, I had the same problem... but couldn't find a way to delete it. In the end I uninstalled the program, as I never used it. I only ever access the memory card, and use the phone for syncing.
hbr_in
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-09-01 14:41
Hi

If u know how to Play with Windows XP Registry, then go to Start -> Run -> Regedit ->

"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerDesktopNameSpace"

Search for Sony Ericsson File manager or related terms. Delete that. Then refresh Desktop or Windows. It will remove the icon.

Regards
Gururaja

[ This Message was edited by: hbr_in on 2005-09-01 13:45 ]
meeezz
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-01 14:42
If you are using Win XP, install Microsoft PowerToys for Windows XP(Tweak UI) is a shortcut for window tweaking, just open up the program of Tweak UI - desktop and uncheck the Sony Ericsson File Manager and is gone.

You can load this program from Microsoft site:-

http://www.microsoft.com/wind[....]ads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Jellyman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-02 01:32
Thanks I ended up usign TweakUI as I searched regedit before I came to this tread but I couldn't find the right key, Anyway thanks for all the replies!
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-02 12:11
Quote:

On 2005-09-01 14:41:55, hbr_in wrote:
[Regedit instructions]

That's great - thanks for that! I'd been wondering how to get rid of that, too. I figured it was in the registry somewhere, but couldn't find it.
Jellyman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-02 16:45
Now I can't connect to my phone via USB Cable. It dosn't show in My Computer and when I re-added the icon back to the desktop it shows as 'Disconnected'.

:S
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-02 16:52
Have you tried reinstalling the software?
Jellyman
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-02 17:14
I don't think its because of the icon, When I went to regedit I deleted a few keys before and thats probably why. When I un-installed the pc software it didn't uninstal the drivers(I checked by searching in regedit) so is there any way of deleting them?

I can't find my k750i software for some reason, so I downloaded it and I'm installing it now. I'll let you know.

EDIT: I just found my software it was right nex tot me, Installing nwo and I'll let ya'll know.

[ This Message was edited by: Jellyman on 2005-09-02 16:15 ]
shanespencer
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-03 04:41
Hi Jellyman,

I looked around my PC, and found loads of Sony drivers inside
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers (Windows XP). You can manually delete them from there. Did you delete all registry keys pointing to anything that's Sony Ericsson?

I deleted my icon using regedt, and I just tried plugging the phone in - it worked fine, so as you said, you've probably deleted something that you shouldn't have.

If you're using XP, I'd suggest you set a system restore point before installing the Sony software again, that way you can just roll back if things go funny.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi