Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Software, Firmware and Drivers > SE W800i Outlook 2002 contact synchronization

12  Next
Author SE W800i Outlook 2002 contact synchronization
wasan
W800
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 20:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I recently bought the superb phone yet I am still strugging with the synchronization.

I cannot get the phone synchronize the contacts with Outlook 2002. Synchronizing the Notes, Tasks and Calendar work fine but the Contacts constantly generate an error message "SyncMLDesktopServer" followed by "Synchronization error".

I have tried to disable the firewall and antivirus software but that won't help. I have also removed and resinstalled the SE software yet with no improvement.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!
sussurf
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-08-25 00:15
Sony Ericcson K750i synchronisation failed
I have experienced the exact same misfortune with my new K750i trying to synchronise Contacts, notes and calendar with Outlook - syncmldesktopserver error.
I spent nearly 3 hours on the phone with their tech. department trying to solve the problem.
We updated the phone firmware, updated the Sony Ericcson software suite, did a registry clean, disabled Zone Alarm (eeks!), disabled Norton Anti-virus (double eeks!!), disabled spybot (triple eeks!!!).
After all this the same message appeared: syncmldesktopserver followed by synchronisation failed. Each time, we were able to synchronise calendar items and notes but the darned thing just didn't want to know about my contacts. Interestingly also, after the sync error, the memory card in the phone would not be available and I had to resart the phone & re-insert the card. All other functions work perfectly.
I am not convinced it is a USB problem as I am getting a part sync and can browse everything else. It may be more likely a bad memory stick.
In the end, I was advised by the senior tech guy that all the SE phones will not sync. in the presence of anti-virus, firewall and anti-spyware. I'm not talking about just disabling, he meant uninstalled!!!!
Thanks Sony Ericsson, but no thanks. I ain't disabling my security measures for no-one.
And by the way, here's another phone back for stock until u fix it!

arnoldc
Sony Xperia V
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-25 01:32
yesterday, my friend came to me with his IBM Thinkpad complaining about this same error that you guys posted. He was almost pretty sure and was pointing to the phone as the culprit.

he was using version 1.7.7 and just for kicks, we uninstalled it and replaced it with version 1.6.9 and the problem still remains. he was kinda frustrated with his new W800 and no single contact on the phone.

since my 1.7.7 suite is working, i connected his phone to my computer, we exported his contacts onto a file, imported it into my outlook (different contact subfolder) and we did a sync....

... perfect.

no synchornization error of any sort.

it is obviously now, that it was not the phone causing the problem.

on my Acer notebook, i have BitDefender turned on, Microsoft Anti-Spyware turned on, which did not cause problems with the Sync Station.

we have yet to troubleshoot the problem because he went off to the U.S.A. yesterday.
sussurf
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-08-25 09:25
Well, after a couple of hard days work I have found the solution to the sync. problem.
I will refrain from posting it here now as I am negotiating with Sony Ericcson for some compensation.
I hope to hear from them early next week.
I would appreciate some comments about whether others consider it fair for me to make such demands.
regards,
Phil
numb
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-08-25 12:01
Its difficult to evaluate if we dont know what actually caused your problem.

Personally I have had no problems what so ever on any computer I use, synching my SE phones using their standard synchsoftware. And I have had antivirus, firewalls etc. enabled allways.

My guess based solely on experience is that your problem was caused by the Norton Antivirus. Its my experience that Norton generally is a really poor written software, and often generates more problems than it solves. I allways recommend using other antivirus sollutions.

But without knowing exactly what caused your problem, I'd say from a general point of view based on my many years of experience within the IT business, technical and support, that I think you are wrong to make any demands on SE because of your problems. Im certain that neither the phone nor the syncsoftware delivered from SE are the rootcause of your problem, but something else in your specific computerconfiguration are. Making demands on SE that there syncsoftware should work perfect under any computerconfiguration that are influenced by thousands of other 3rd party softwaredelivers, OS devlivers, hardwaredrivers, not to mention the incredibly many poor systems ruined by their (no offence) stupid users with no knowledge of what they are doing, is simply utopia.

The only demands you can make on any softwarevendor is that there software works on a 100% clean OS, with nothing else installed.
Its not their responsibility if other software somehow conflicts when installed. Then you might as well make demands on the other softwarevendors to fix their software instead

If Norton Antivirus cause your syncsoftware to fail, then in most cases it should be Norton that should fix it, as their software only has one job to do, and this should not affect how other software operates.

The same goes for your Firewall software, its job is to protect you from incoming/outgoing traffic you do not want, not to interfere with needed operations from other software and it should be configurable not to if it does.

ngcat
Z200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-06 17:12
It cannot be Norton causing the error as i have a HP Omnibook XE3 here with Win2k and no Firewall installed.
There is eTrust Antivirus on this machine, Outlook 2003, the usual Office tools.

Phil, we can only hope you are going to share your solution with us anytime soon.

I for one would be very thankful...
Martin

ac
Xperia Mini Pro Black
PM
Posted: 2005-09-06 17:19
I was having the same problem with my W800. Just to test, I removed all details (such as company/job title etc...) except names and phone numbers from Outlook contacts and the sync work perfectly.
alex_ruffell
S700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-09-06 18:48
Guys - the rror you are having may be related to something I had... it was due to multiple contacts having the same phone number. Try to eliminate duplicate phone numbers and your synch may work. To do so I only synch the numbers I am likely to use and I replaced switchboard numbers with direct lines. It is annoying but my synch would always fail when I had the same number for multiple contacts... hope it helps!
sussurf
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-08 02:20
Ok guys.
I'm truly sorry for not posting earlier but I was hoping Sony Ericcson would come to the party in some way for all my efforts. I had to relinquish because I know the pain you guys are going thru and I due to my compassionate nature, I had to help!
Unfortunately, I have not even heard back from them! Make of that what you will but it is damning in my opinion. Then again, what a fool am I? I have decided to keep the phone ultimately because now I have fixed the problem, I really enjoy the phone as it's a real beauty- great camera, PDA (almost- just won't read/write Office/PDF files), media player ....... everything I need short of a notebook PC, which is another animal.
Now to the nuts & bolts.
I am quite confident that the problem is not with anti-virus or firewall so DON'T DISABLE THESE ANYTIME!
The problem I think is with the contacts database, and specifically if you have contacts in Outlook that have invalid entries in the email address field such as "[no email address found]".
Try deleting these entries in contacts for which you have no email address and it should work.
I have tried to corrupt the contacts data base file by putting text in the phone number field etc. and had no problem.
Also, if you want to keep home addresses on the phone, and this has been posted elsewhere, make sure the address is in the "business address" field, not the "home address" field. In other words, the address you want to sync. with the phone should be in the business address field regardless of whether it's business or home address.
Also a free little fix if you do need to carry Excel or .doc Office files- take a snapshot of the file with Ctrl-Alt-Prt Scr and post into an image editor program and save as DSCxxxx.jpg file. Then transfer into the phone's \DCIM\100MSDCF\ directory and have it available just as a photo taken by the phone!!!
Let me know how you go.
Anyway, good luck, enjoy, God bless (choose whichever) and get back to life again!
Phil
peterkak
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-11 18:14
Hi I've tried to install the PC Suite for my new phone. The 2 icons appear on the task bar, but when i try to run the sync it wont let me. I cannot access the settings page ie when i right click the sync station icon then click advanced then settings NOTHING happens.

SE told me to turn off Nortons AV and turn off Windows Firewall. Which I've done. Also told to uninstall any other mobile phone software, which I did. After doing all of this and re-installing no difference. Told also to check USB drivers, which i have (downloaded from net new ones) and to check in mobile phone monitor and enable usb settings for COM ports and to make sure not reserved. checked all of these. still no luck.

when i hit sync I see is a screen that flashes up very quickly which seems to say for phonebook/calendar/tasks/messages will not be synchronised - presumably cause I havent actually selected in the advanced - settings area. note i cant use the advanced sync in advanced as I get message PLEASE SELECT SYNCHRONISATION SETTINGS BEFORE USING THE ADVANCED SYNC Operation.

I also asked SE whether I could select any of these in registry but they didnt respond to this suggestion.

Using WinXP Pro, Outlook 2003. Incidentally, the contacts I'm trying to sync were on my old T630 which i transferred by bluetooth to W800i and I have NO contacts whatsoever in Outlook (i'm really only tyring to get the contacts off my phone as a backup). In my phone I dont have any duplicates. have multiple numbers for names too.

at that point SE cut me adrift.

Anyone have any ideas?

Peter

[ This Message was edited by: peterkak on 2005-09-11 17:19 ]
deeerek
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-09-21 11:28
Just in case that someone think that it's hard work and not sharing their solution, here's my 2 cents:

My contact was exported from exchange, what happen is some of the contact when I double click on the email, it give me an error about address cannot be found blah blah blah......... Once I deleted the entry that synchronize work!
merocet
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-12-23 19:13
Hi,

Solved this by exporting all of my contacts from Outllok 2003 as an xl file and having a good clean up! Deleted duplicates, removed info in non-critical fields etc, then reimported the xl file into Outlook 2003 as a replacement for my old contacts. Before you do this MAKE A BACKUP of your contacts in case you press the wrong button!

The import worked fine after that. Think it's just the thing of having an old contact list that has loads of spurious duplicates and excess info, having been ported from job to job etc.

Spring cleaning is the way ahead!

cheers

John
kiminNZ
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-03-04 07:58
Hello,
I too have had similar errors with my K750i. However after trying all your suggestions, I have now completely deleted my contacts in my phone and in Outlook and I still get the same DeskTopServer error. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Cheers,
Kim
Hanski
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-08-24 22:24
I have also had similar SyncMLDesktopServer.exe problems when trying to sync Outlook 2000 contacts and calendar.

I finally succeeded in doing it:

1. I exported my contacts and calendar to files.
2. I searched the folder in my computer where the \"Outlook.pst\" locates.
Then I renamed it to \"Outlook.backup\"
3. I started Outlook, and it asked the name of the .pst -file. I gave it Outlook.pst.
So, Outlook 2000 made a brand new Outlook.pst (no errors in it). After that I imported the files (contacts and calendar) into Outlook.
Finally I tried the Sony-Ericsson sync. Bingo - it worked.

My conclusion is: the outlook.pst might collect errors. When you start with a new outlook.pst, the syncronisation works.
mountaintech
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-09-10 04:56
Face it, if you have to go through all this crap to get this rinky-dink phone working, then it is not worth it.

The sony people need to make the software for this thing work with real-world outlook data bases.

Just lazy programming!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi