Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia N90 Success in Doubt?

Previous  123 45 ... 141516  Next
Author Nokia N90 Success in Doubt?
Super G
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 13:36
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Quote:

I know a lot of SE fans hate it for many reasons but there’s one reason that seems to stand out the most is the fact that it has a Nokia logo instead of SE logo on the front.

(Note this is about N91, not N90)

I agree with your viewpoint. fans wish had something like this... But niet.... They have to wait for such thing will eventually be released by (but then it will be so innovative, so beautiful... so walkman... so déjà-vu)
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-17 13:52
man, it is not so good that you can say SE have nothing like it. They don't have anything EXACTLY like it, but SE have some very good phones.

Sheesh, just because it has a 4GB hard drive (n91) you think it's better? K750 will support the upcoming 4GB ms duo pro cards.

I admit if you absolutely need a smartphone it's a nice proposition, but me personally would go the xda mini for the reasons I mentioned. SE certainly have nothing to offer smartphone wise if you are looking for decent memory expansion (over 2GB) and decent camera, but smartpnone is still not something the market demands. Whenever phones are advertised, it never mentions the fact the phone is "smart" or not, unless it is marketed as a PDA.

Ruudfood
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 14:50
I'm not going to start flaming the N90/N91. I went off Nokia phones a long time ago. They seem to be heading towards more and more nice markets. They never seem to make a phone with all the capabilities anyone would ask for - PLUS a little bit extra - in a small form factor. Anything they do that's different seems to be in a device the size of a brick. Kudos to them, however, for being first to market with innovative devices.

SE success is based on delivering devices that have everything you want in a phone (including the small form factor) PLUS the little bit extra. EG: the W800i/K750i. This is why their phones have been so successful.

The mass market doesn't need smartphones just yet and the technology in terms of displays and batteries isn't there yet for a smartphone that is small and powerful enough to be a practical everyday device.

Whatever is in a Nokia today will eventually find it's way into the SEs, Siemens and Motorolas of tomorrow. There's room for all of them without writing anything off.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 15:29
@Ruudfood.

I agree with what you say. I can't think what market Blokia are aiming this product at.

@Dickysnapples

When the N90 is open, it is double the length of a P900, thats one big MF!

The reason why the P910 is the length it is is because it has incorporated that lovely big screen.

Whats the N90s excuse?
JK
W995 Red
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 16:00
4 gigs without expansion?? So if Sony starts making 4 gig + mem cards then what??
mario2002
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-17 16:34
'If' baby 'if' as I say to my daughter.Nokia has already plans for a N101.A smaller 4mp,supped up N91 with at least 16MB and probably if not certainly more ! Also there is talk about a wimax integration. If not the N101 the the N111 will certainly have wimax. (don't expect it till late 2006 thou) The N101 will be announced officialy in November and go on sell in 2-nd quarter 2006. Greetings from South Africa. Mario

This message was posted from a Nokia 7650

goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 16:44
I can't imagine memory cards being limited to their current capacity for much longer, and Sony didn't snap up Sandisk for no reason. HDD seem a bit much for a mobile device right now.

This message was posted from a S700

Safwaan
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 16:56
"The reason why the P910 is the length it is is because it has incorporated that lovely big screen.
Whats the N90s excuse? " goldenface

According to http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/27/tech_digest/
the N90 Is a 3G Phone Right?

Considering its also running symbian applications uses a 2MP camera and has a high resolution screen I still don't see how you can say it is too big.

"4 gigs without expansion?? So if Sony starts making 4 gig + mem cards then what??" 76KBR

This is exactly my point, if SE release a phone with 4, 5 or more gigs of memory it will completely be down to nokias decision to release the N91.

"Sheesh, just because it has a 4GB hard drive (n91) you think it's better? K750 will support the upcoming 4GB ms duo pro cards." max_wedge

Whilst most SE users are completely happy with buying the W800 and using the memory given in the box others will start buying 1 or 2 Gig Memory Sticks, yeah you're right memory sticks can have 4 gig memory but this isn't memory out of the box;

eg.
Would you pay £330+ For Phone A and then pay £150+ for the extra memory, or

Would you pay £450~ For Phone B which would have more memory and 3G, Wi-Fi, Symbian...

It's not just because it has a hard drive it's because the N91 can also be used as a plug and play USB memory drive on a PC meaning there is no need to fiddle with drivers and software, theres no need to buy memory card readers, most PC users can use USB Flash Drives and the ease of use offered here by the Nokia will help the N91 greatly.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 17:07
@safwaan. Removable expandable memory will always be more versatile than built in storage. Its simply more convenient is it not. Think Photo developing booths. . . .

DickySnapples
Z1010
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 17:09
Quote:

On 2005-08-17 15:29:12, goldenface wrote:
@Ruudfood.

I agree with what you say. I can't think what market Blokia are aiming this product at.

@Dickysnapples

When the N90 is open, it is double the length of a P900, thats one big MF!

The reason why the P910 is the length it is is because it has incorporated that lovely big screen.

Whats the N90s excuse?

the z1010 was around the same size as the Pxxx series when closed.i didnt hear anyone complaining then!
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 17:33
@Safwaan,

so the k750 is just a improved k700, and has nothing special???

how about being that first phone that permits you to leave your digital camera at home in vacations, because it has such great photo quality. That´s what i did And the results you can see here
http://www.pbase.com/ares/se_k750i

And you must see them after printing...

It was the first phone EVER to get a prize from the Photo Industry (TIPA awards)

So, it has nothing special then?????? LOL

SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
Safwaan
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 17:42
Quote:

On 2005-08-17 17:07:32, goldenface wrote:
@safwaan. Removable expandable memory will always be more versatile than built in storage. Its simply more convenient is it not. Think Photo developing booths. . . .

I agree you're right about in store photo booths to a certain extent, I personally would rather send my photos for developing over the net and since the N91 has 3G sending photos directly from the phone would be perfect. Also I do recall seeing a Bluetooth photo booth in a shopping mall near where I live. I agree if you like to get your photos developed with the anonymity of photo booths then you may have a problem with this phone but I don’t see how this could be a major flaw there are several ways around it, how about burning your photos on a CD-RW and taking them to get developed or using a Bluetooth photo booth.

Memory cards really only have one purpose to make a device cheap but make it so that it can have more memory. One way to reduce the cost of a phone is to make it from cheaper materials another is to reduce its internal memory and make the end user pay extra for more memory, IMO there is no other reason to have expandable memory.

“so the k750 is just a improved k700, and has nothing special???

how about being that first phone that permits you to leave your digital camera at home in vacations, because it has such great photo quality” Arez

I’m not denying the quality of the K750.

OK, hypothetically, in 2006 Brand X releases a phone with 2.5MP camera with ALL and more features of the K750, the K750 will no longer be the great phone it is today, it has NO defining feature it will be remembered as just another phone.

If Brand Y was to make a phone with all and more features of the N91 the N91 would still be remembered as the first phone to use a Hard Drive just as so many topics on here discuss the first phone to have a colour display or use GPRS or use Bluetooth connectivity.

[ This Message was edited by: Safwaan on 2005-08-17 16:59 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Safwaan on 2005-08-17 17:01 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 17:59
A VERY good reason is say, heaven forbid, your phone was damaged beyond repair in an accident, your data stands a better chance of being recovered from a mem stick does it not?
Plus, the memory is UNLIMITED.

[ This Message was edited by: Goldenface on 2005-08-17 17:03 ]

Safwaan
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 18:07
I don't know but from personal experience I have found memory cards are much easier to corrupt, I had a RS-MMC which i did not use in my 7610 6 Months later the phone and my PC can't access it. Memory card are extremly fragile even the slight bending when the card is removed and replaced damages it. Imagine you're at the photo booth you remove the memory card from your phone and accidently drop it you move your foot to see where it fell end of memory card, imagine if this memory card was a 2 Gig memory card?

I say much easier because i have an iPod I bought over a year ago I use the iPod every time I go to the gym it's had its fair share of falls but it has never crashed or failed or said 'unable to access memory'.

[ This Message was edited by: Safwaan on 2005-08-17 17:23 ]
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 18:18
@dickysnapples. The Z1010 is a lot older in mobile-years

@Arez. So thats where you have been. I've been asking if anyone had seen you. Did you enjoy your break?

@safwaan. I have a feeling another company will be better known for putting hdd in a mobile.

[ This Message was edited by: Goldenface on 2005-08-17 17:27 ]

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic