Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Themes, ringtones, screensavers, games, video clips > How to install a Java game or application onto a Sony Ericsson phone.

1234  Next
Author How to install a Java game or application onto a Sony Ericsson phone.
2iceman
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-08-12 16:03
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
How to install a Java game or application onto a Sony Ericsson phone.

-- Preparation --

Java games can be downloaded from the internet as .jar files. Sometimes however, they come in winzip compressed files (.zip), or even winrar files (.rar).

Some websites compress games using either Winzip or Winrar. It is to important determine whether you need to uncompress these files before attempting to install them onto the phone, by right clicking on them and selecting "unzip" or "extract here".

When you do this, another file should appear in the same place as the original you downloaded

If however, lots of files appear like in the picture below, you didnt need to uncompress the original file in the first place

Now we have identified which file we need to send to the phone, this one, and only this one

-- Installation --

This step could not be more simple, however it often puzzles most new Sony Ericsson phone users.

-- Installing games using Infra-Red --

Make sure that if your pc has an infra-red port it is turned on. You can do this by checking in the control panel ( Start / Control Panel ) or by checking the infra-red communication icon in the system tray ( bottom right corner of your desktop next to the clock ).

Now make sure your phone's infra-red is turned on. Go to MENU / CONNECTIVITIY / INFRA RED PORT

Make sure both the computers and phones infra-red ports are pointing at each other, unobstructed with a direct line of sight within around 10cm or less.

Now, on the game file you want to install, right click on it, and select " Send to / infra red recipient". The game or application will be sent to the phone, and installed automatically in the games folder.

If this does not work, and the game is installed in the Others folder, skip to Installing with a file manager or USB cable.

-- Installing games using Bluetooth --

Make sure that if your pc has Bluetooth built in, or a Bluetooth USB adaptor that it is turned on. You can do this by checking in the control panel ( Start / Control Panel ) or by checking the Bluetooth icon in the system tray ( bottom right corner of your desktop next to the clock ).

To turn Bluetooth on, right click on the Bluetooth icon and select "Start the Bluetooth device"

Now make sure your phone's Bluetooth is turned on. Go to MENU / CONNECTIVITIY / BLUETOOTH

Now, on the game file you want to install, right click on it, and select " Send to / Bluetooth / (your phone name)". The game or application will be sent to the phone, and installed automatically in the games folder.

If this does not work, and the game is installed in the Others folder, skip to Installing with a file manager or USB cable.

-- Installing with a file manager or USB cable --

Sometimes sending games or applications to a phone using Bluetooth or infra-red does not work. Usually this is because of a compatibility issue between your computer and mobile phone, or a setting on your pc that overrides the phones automated installation.

Using a USB cable or file manager could not be any more simple. We'll cover it in a couple of steps.

-- Installing games using the Bluetooth file manager --

Every Bluetooth computer or adaptor comes with a Bluetooth file manager. Usually you can see it on your computers desktop as an icon called My Bluetooth Places

Make sure Bluetooth is switched on, and double click this application to open it. It should look something like this:

If your phone is paired with your pc, it should appear as an icon in the white area. If not, click Search for devices in range, making sure your phones Bluetooth is on and discoverable. When you have found your phone, double click its on to view its services

We need the OBEX File Transfer, so double click it, and you should see something like this if your phone has a Memory Stick

If it does, double click the Phone Memory icon. If your phone does not have a Memory Stick you'll automatically see something like this

It is here that you need to copy the game file to. Simply highlight the game file on your pc, right click on it, select copy. In the window illustrated above, click paste. The game file will be copied to this area.

This area is called the phones Root memory - the main unspecified area of memory that is not in a folder. The games folder is located in the root memory, however on Sony Ericsson phone it is hidden to protect the games from being shared and abusing copyright.

Any games copied to the root memory are automatically installed by the phone.

-- Installing games using USB cable and file manager --

Sony Ericsson phones come with software that acts as a file manager, especially those that come bundled with a USB cable. It is important you fully install everything on the CD that came with the phone before attempting to use the file manager. If you cannot find the file manager, download it from the Sony Ericsson website.

In this section of the tutorial, we'll be using the Sony Ericsson file manager, however there are others available on the internet such as Floats Mobile Agent

First of all, connect your phone to your pc using the USB cable. Now, start the file manager. The file manager should detect the phone as connected within 10 seconds or so. If it does not, often a reboot of the phone and / or pc usually gets it working again.

Simply choose your phones icon

It is important you ignore all the other folders in this view, simply copy the game file to the phone memory icon.

-- Conclusion --

Using these steps i've outlined above you should be able to install as many games or applications as you like on your Sony Ericsson phone. Please remember this isnt an official guide made by Sony Ericsson, and some details may be different from phone to phone, pc to pc, software to software. If you spot any technical inaccuracies please feel free to post them in this thread, or if you need further help.

I hope you found this guide helpful.

[ This Message was edited by: GOwin on 2005-08-12 16:31 ]
dgilmartin
W900 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-12 16:53
Thats like reading a Book!

Good Info Mate!
All the Way! Looking for a w705 PM me! Arizona
atrang
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-08-22 14:11
thanks 4 the info buddy
jd_francis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-08-22 16:46
Who is dumb enuf 2 not already no dis? Gosh...
jcwhite_uk
Sony Xperia Z1
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-22 16:56
Quote:

On 2005-08-22 16:46:00, jd_francis wrote:
Who is dumb enuf 2 not already no dis? Gosh...

People do ask this question quite often so a thread that can help them is actually quite useful for those people new to SE phones.
Checkout my photos at My Website

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."
Glenny
K700
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-22 17:12
very handy, will take note of that... thanking you
Lost Count Official Website My Band! and the forum for it!
404'd!
Jesus loves you, but everyone else hates you...
K750i_lvr
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-23 11:35
its good but i allready knew alll that lol
dhakir
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-07-20 17:18
It should be noted, however, that Sony Ericsson is lying in its knowledge base. The answer below was extracted from the F500i KB:

Can I transfer a game or application via cable ?

You cannot install a game or application from your PC to your mobile phone via cable. It can only be done via Ir or Bluetooth™.
It is only possible to transfer a game or an application in the folder 'Other'(this is only available in K700i/Z1010/F500i/K500i).

I had tried before and indeed, if I transfer the files to the folder "Other", they are not installed and thus not executable. However, your tip taught me how to really install it, so I don't understand why they say it cannot be installed. Maybe they want people to buy more IrDAs?
slugworth
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2006-07-20 17:24
you can also download games via torrents

transfer all the JAR files to Others on Phone or memory stick also you can send files to other phones! like a WAP server how cool is that?!

my friends love me for having almost every game on JAr exe files
aminator
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-07-20 19:05
exactly the kind of thread I was looking for, thanks alot mate, installing on a P9 was so much easier but this has clarified some questionns I had. Maybe Sticky it ?
gokenong
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-10-07 08:40
hi! i am a new sony ericsson phone user... i've read your post and tried to followed it. i using the file manager to transfer files... using your steps i wa sable to transfer themes, but could not transfer the games or other applications, a pop out would appear and say that it is not allowed by my phone to do such action.. whats the reason for this?? would really appreciate your help...
fredy
T68 gold
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-23 07:22
why there are no pictures @ above tutorials?!

please helped me..i dun no to install any applications

and games on sony ericsson..
aragorn666
J300
PM
Posted: 2006-10-23 08:06
good one mate

u can use my phone explorer of floats mobile agent to easily install apps
O seeker ! KNOW wHAt YoU SeeK AnD tHEn SeeK.
pimp123
K750
PM
Posted: 2007-07-03 20:45
hello, i own a sony ericsson k800i phone, and my computer wont let me transfer files onto my phone, ad i have already installed everything, what shall i do???
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2007-07-03 20:58
how come? why the computer stops you from transfering the games? where do you place the files?
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi