Esato

Forum > Manufacturer Discussion > Nokia > Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion

Previous  123 ... 646566 ... 939495  Next
Author Nokia 808 PureView Thread And Discussion
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-01-14 18:55
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
The 1520 is very good. The DSP in there is actually better than the one in the 1020...

I am actually a bit of a fan
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-01-14 19:17

On 2014-01-14 18:55:24, cu015170 wrote:
The 1520 is very good. The DSP in there is actually better than the one in the 1020...

I am actually a bit of a fan

thank you

I actually sold my lumia 1020 (before i got the chance to get the black update) and i got a 1520 instead. The only thing that i am missing is the xenon flash
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-01-14 21:52
Yes, its a very good camera.. the sensor is almost the same size as the Z1, and I believe that the optics are in fact a bit better. The only thing missing is the xenon flash.

Sound recording is supposed to be really good as well. Overall I think you made a pretty good buy.. I think that the 1520 is the best Nokia phone since the N9/808
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-01-14 22:16
Thanks cu015170. Personally I just wanted something with good image quality but I am ok with image quality not being at the same level with Nokia 808 and 1020. I know I should have kept the 1020 but 1520 is so much more fun with the larger screen and extra oomph

Anyway sorry -don't let my hijack this thread any further I was just curious of what you thought about the lumia 1520 image quality
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-14 21:17 ]
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 02:05

On 2014-01-14 18:26:26, aussieland1 wrote:
A lot of things actually:

I think you are missing the point when CU says he can do most things... it cracks me up when people go naming specific apps when talking about how their phone is so much better and the only choice. I'm glad it works for you but that doesn't make the 808 any less capable IMO...

I live in UK BTW so :
* i watch sky go/ virgin tv anywhere/sun goals/bt sports/nba game time on my mobile phone

Never heard of that app but I'm simply not interested in watching TV on my phone so for the sake of this message, Ill concede here.

* pingit app here to easily send money.

simply log into paypal on your 808 or to your banks website and DONE

* banking app- here in UK you have 3-4 different pin codes if you access banking through the browser- only 1 is necessary through the banking app

Maybe CU or someone more "in the know" can comment on this one but I for one would NEVER put my pin numbers on a phone no matter who's app it is so this just simply sounds like a bad idea anyway.

* video call not limited to skype on Symbian (is that even working properly on Symbia)

Fring... works great and is cross platform capable

* for a lot of things web browser is not a proper replacement i.e. eurosport website doesn't have notifications

define "proper" .... i have never had an issue my my 808's browser not getting me where I need to be... not the biggest screen but well capable of doing what I need.

* proper exchange support for email

I have six email accounts set up on my 808 and all work awesome, sort files sufficiently and has full folder and attachment support... again, sounds like your looking for something specific to knock the 808 on... but again, it works for me.

* i won't even go into the high quality games available on symbian

there are plenty of games in the app store for nokia but Im sure you want to point out titles that nokia doesn't support to strengthen your "point"

* web browser not just the quality of browsing but stuff like sync of bookmarks to the desktop browser- i.e. start browsing on the mobile and then continue browsing on the desktop. adding a bookmark on the desktop and automatically saving it on the mobile phone browser

how often do you really start looking at something on your phone and then have to transfer that to your PC.... C'MON - Be honest here....

* music store/video store

sucks for nokia .... granted.... but I just transfer my own file/mp3's or just use the internet radio app.... Music is Music

*photo editing (not chaging the contrast etc but proper photo editing)

when you have a 41mp file, if you really want to edit it your likely going to just use photoshop or lightroom... NO phone editor can match either. Sorry

etc, etc

I get that Nokia 808 is enough for some people- but like i said you can enjoy it without having to start bashing everything else outhere and proclaim that Nokia 808 is the best smartphone
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-14 17:31 ]

I agree it's not the BEST but aren't you doing the polar opposite here??? maybe to prove a point or maybe just not your preference but the FACT is, the nokia is a quite capable device still and lets not forget, if you own one its like for the camera and not angry birds
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2014-01-15 01:06 ]
[addsig]
cu015170
Nokia 808 PureView
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 03:53
^ very well summarized mlife

The point we are trying to get across here is that the 808 is not as bad of a smartphone as a lot of people think it is.

The other one is that the camera on it is not the best there is, but its really good and sufficient enough for even the most demanding of users out there.

To be honest after the N8 I was really surprised how much better the 808 really was.. I couldn't really believe that they can introduce such a big leap in imaging so soon after the N8, but obviously they were running both projects at the same time, something I didn't know at the time.

For any owner, or a future owner out there, the 808 is an amazing engineering achievement, so enjoy it I certainly enjoy mine.

I am not going to lie, there are times where my friend's iphones are superior in certain situations, but overall.. my 808 is sufficient enough and I don't plan on spending money on anything else until I feel like whatever I am getting is an upgrade across the board... alright maybe not everything, but for the most part it needs to feel like a complete, ahead of it's time product which I can have fun with.

I am expecting one at either MWC or sometime in December.
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 07:54

On 2014-01-15 02:05:32, mlife wrote:
I think you are missing the point when CU says he can do most things... it cracks me up when people go naming specific apps when talking about how their phone is so much better and the only choice. I'm glad it works for you but that doesn't make the 808 any less capable IMO...

I agree it's not the BEST but aren't you doing the polar opposite here??? maybe to prove a point or maybe just not your preference but the FACT is, the nokia is a quite capable device still and lets not forget, if you own one its like for the camera and not angry birds
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2014-01-15 01:06 ]

you seem to answer my points by ignoring what i said all together or by saying that you haven't heard or are not interested etc - great comeback ! Or you make ridiculous statements like transferring money to someone's bank account can be done by PayPal / or mention the games from the Nokia store- is that the one that was closed this January?

all i did was answer the question about what i can do on my android phone that Nokia 808 can't - am i not allowed to do that without being accused of trying to prove my "point" ?

and by the way my point was that while 808's camera is still the best among phones its smartphone capabilities have long been overtaken. I understand that it is enough for plenty of people but it is not enough for everyone so yes as a smartphone only it is less capable than other existing smartphones on the market
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-15 07:24 ]
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 08:50

On 2014-01-14 18:26:26, aussieland1 wrote:

On 2014-01-14 18:04:50, cu015170 wrote:

So now, tell me what more can you do on a android device that I won't be able to do on my 808 ? You will find that its all relative because significance for those things vary between different people.

A lot of things actually:

I live in UK BTW so :

* i watch sky go/ virgin tv anywhere/sun goals/bt sports/nba game time on my mobile phone

Sorry to go off topic here but can you tell me how you watch Sky Go with your Lumia 1520 please ?
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 08:55

On 2014-01-14 18:26:26, lemmy31 wrote:

Sorry to go off topic here but can you tell me how you watch Sky Go with your Lumia 1520 please ?

I have a samsung Note 3 as well as a Nokia Lumia 1520 )
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-15 07:58 ]
lemmy31
Apple iPhone 6 Plus
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 10:42

I have a samsung Note 3 as well as a Nokia Lumia 1520 )
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-15 07:58 ]

Oh I see, thanks for the reply. To be honest the lack of a Sky Go app on WP is the only reason I keep an Android handset going along with my 1020

Back on topic now
[ This Message was edited by: lemmy31 on 2014-01-15 09:42 ]
mlife
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 15:13

On 2014-01-15 07:54:03, aussieland1 wrote:
you seem to answer my points by ignoring what i said all together or by saying that you haven't heard or are not interested etc - great comeback ! Or you make ridiculous statements like transferring money to someone's bank account can be done by PayPal / or mention the games from the Nokia store- is that the one that was closed this January?

Please don't get so defensive.... I'm only saying that there is more than one way to perform any given task... It drives me nuts when people say a symbian device CAN'T do this or CAN'T do that when in reality, it can in most circumstances. People these days get too caught up in all the marketing hype of APPS and having what everyone else has so you can be "hip" or "tech savvy" or whatever.... the FACT is you CAN transfer money from bank to bank by simply logging on to your banks mobile site and having full access to your account. NO APP NEEDED... you do realize that apps are only vessels to bring data from that web site to a pretty interface on your phone / right?

Please... if you want to make a point at how your or any phone can do something an 808 can't do please list some things that are not specific NAME BRAND apps... such as the 808's FM transmitter, the N8's proper HDMI out, either devices usb host support, a proper xenon flash, removable battery or expandable memory... etc....

BUT please don't misunderstand me or more importantly misquote me as IN NO WAY am I saying any/all of the aforementioned features are unique to nokia .... I'm simply saying you can't say a phone sucks because it doesn't have YOUR favorite app or one you frequently need. As said MANY times, everyone will have a different phone they think is best but it does not make one or the other any worse. Im in the minority in my thinking that iPhones suck (and I will never own one) but I'm not ignorant to the fact that many believe it is the best phone ever and for them, I don't dispute that .... more power to them just don't dare try to say an iPhone is better than my 808 or 1020 for ME because that's just ridiculous.

all i did was answer the question about what i can do on my android phone that Nokia 808 can't - am i not allowed to do that without being accused of trying to prove my "point" ?

Nope... as a matter of fact I encourage anyone to articulate their point whatever it may be... just don't get to calling everything else crap (not specifically directed at your post) just because it's not what you have or like. just simply say, I don't like the 808 because it doesn't have MY favorite TV app.... Simple.

and by the way my point was that while 808's camera is still the best among phones

you say "among", I say "of any".... But I'm good with that, you're entitled to your opinion.

its smartphone capabilities have long been overtaken. I understand that it is enough for plenty of people but it is not enough for everyone so yes as a smartphone only it is less capable than other existing smartphones on the market
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-15 07:24 ]

agian.. you can't define less capable for ALL USERS.... I for one rarely use ANY apps so it couldn't be any less import to me how YOU define "smartphone"..... thus not degregating its "capability" for me in the slightest way. Heck, if it weren't for advances in bluetooth and camera sensor technology, I would still be using my N86... It was plenty fast, handled email, had variable aperture and performed every other task I needed in addition to having physical keys (which, I for one, would still to this day prefer over swipe or t/s)

just my .02 ---- Cheers
[ This Message was edited by: mlife on 2014-01-15 14:14 ]
[addsig]
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 16:13
mlife

Just for the record I don't believe that Nokia 808 is crap by any means- all i did was to highlight things that are important to me that Nokia 808 can't do. And by the way Samsung has had HDMI out and usb host support for quite a while now too

I am not an expert in camera and so i didn't mean anything by camera being "among the best"- if you and cu015170 are saying it is the best than i believe you.

And the last thing - i don't believe i said anywhere that what is important to me is important to everyone- but if you believe that i did let me clarify that i am only speaking on my behalf- not eveyone else's
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-15 15:29 ]
fbloise
Nokia 808 PureView
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-01-15 19:44
I solved the "apps" problem by getting a Kindle Fire HD. Apps and Games in a decent screen size. For all the rest, I have my 808: excellent camera, excels at its phone functions, battery life, fm transmitter, free GPs, etc etc.

Aussieland1:
Yes, indeed the best camera. Go to the ESATO photo gallery and check the top rated. 1st and 2nd page are full of 808 photos, like 90% http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/index.php?toplist=yes
"Haters are just confused Admirers" My Website
Foro.DO Facebook Group at http://www.facebook.com/groups/esato/

BBM: 2B5E52DF
aussieland1
LG Nexus 5
PM
Posted: 2014-01-15 22:46

On 2014-01-15 19:44:56, fbloise wrote:
I solved the "apps" problem by getting a Kindle Fire HD. Apps and Games in a decent screen size. For all the rest, I have my 808: excellent camera, excels at its phone functions, battery life, fm transmitter, free GPs, etc etc.

Aussieland1:
Yes, indeed the best camera. Go to the ESATO photo gallery and check the top rated. 1st and 2nd page are full of 808 photos, like 90% http://www.esato.com/phonephotos/index.php?toplist=yes

In that case it would be nice to see a small comparison between the lumia 1020 with black update (do you still have it?) and Nokia purview 808
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-15 21:46 ]
exaflare23
Nokia Lumia 510
PM
Posted: 2014-01-16 03:55

On 2014-01-15 22:46:18, aussieland1 wrote:

On 2014-01-15 19:44:56, fbloise wrote:

Aussieland1:

In that case it would be nice to see a small comparison between the lumia 1020 with black update (do you still have it?) and Nokia purview 808
[ This Message was edited by: aussieland1 on 2014-01-15 21:46 ]

ok here it is

http://www.allaboutsymbian.co[....]he_white_corner_Nokia_808_.php
lumia with the black update
"You don't need a reason to help people"
-Nokia N82 5.0MP Carl Zeiss Optics
-My|Phone A878 Duo
My C901 Shots flickr
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 646566 ... 939495  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic