Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > X10 mini / X10 mini pro Official Thread

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 535455 ... 929394  Next
Author X10 mini / X10 mini pro Official Thread
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-08-09 11:44
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2010-08-09 03:05:33, pao9195 wrote:

On 2010-08-09 01:22:25, alexlt wrote:
It doesn't support flash in the browser, but you can watch youtube videos trough app.

do you mean tru preinstalled Youtube app on x10 mini?thanks

Yes, that's what he mean.
karlsson
Xperia X8 White
PM
Posted: 2010-08-09 12:49

On 2010-08-09 00:52:50, pao9195 wrote:
I have a question, ive read again the review from gsmarena about x10 mini,accdng to that review,mini doesnt support flash to play videos directly from youtube application,is that true?or it is because mini is under Android 1.6?Samsung Spica has no flash support for the web browser but it supports flash for youtube since spica is running on Android 2.1

The answer to flash sites is Skyfire 2.0 beta(market).Hope it works with 1.6 it does with 2.1(spica)
Wakee
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-09 23:27
can some one point me in the right direction for how to do voice dialing on the xperia x10 mini?

thanks
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-08-10 00:22
Sorry, but to my best knowledge Android 1.6 does not support voice dailing. Not sure if the fortcomming update to 2.1 supports it.
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-10 04:41
@Arne, OOTB the X10 Mini doesn't support Voice dialing or Voice Search... but I have all the voice features enabled on my X10 Mini Pro.

Are there programs on 2.1/2.2 that can do voice dialing WITHOUT a data connection? Old school style of pre-recording your own command?

@Wakee, I was never impressed with voice dialing (on older phones) since speed dialing was always faster and more accurate. (Since you still have to press a key to initiate, might as well press and hold the number of the person you wanna call)

On Android, Voice Dialing, is about 90% accurate. And doesn't work so well when there's background noise, like being in a car... and it requires a stable data connection. Any slight drop-out of HSPA signal during the transmission of the command will give a "Network Error...retry?" and totally eliminates the safety and convenience of it.

I would personally recommend a gesture dialer instead (just search for it in the market)

Or some phonebook apps can put direct shortcuts on your homepage to dial certain contacts.
Diffused
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 05:11
Just got the mini pro, and I'm (mostly) satisfied!!.

Couple of minor, and one major, headaches though....

1. PC Companion not getting installed on connecting device to computer. The guide says to tap the install option, but no such option is visible.

2. Wi-fi. It detects my home wi-fi network, but says it's not in range, even though I'm sitting right in front of my laptop typing this.

3. Can't connect to Android market. Takes ages before error message displays. Doing this over EDGE, since there's no 3G in my country.

Major headache...

How do I transfer my contacts from my K790 to the Mini pro? Got way more than the SIM card can store.

Cheers
se_dude
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 05:16
^ Why dont you start by downloading SEUS from the SE site and upgrading your firmware or giving it a complete reinstall?
Diffused
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 05:39

On 2010-08-12 05:16:39, se_dude wrote:
^ Why dont you start by downloading SEUS from the SE site and upgrading your firmware or giving it a complete reinstall?

LOL. Cause today of all days my internet connection has decided to imitate a tortoise. It's taken me 5 mins just to refresh the page. No chance in hell of downloading SEUS (or anything, for that matter) anytime soon.

Need the contacts problem sorted asap, the rest can wait.

Any ideas?

jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-12 08:33
@Diffused, you can try to tether your phone to your laptop via Bluetooth and share your laptop's internet to your phone for now.

The Wifi thing can be a bit of a pain... you can try restarting your router or access point, depending on how your home network is set up (it can get stuck, and this is more common than most people think)

Unfortunately, this is a Google phone, so almost all services are internet dependent. It will sync with your Gmail account and Contacts there... so if you're transferring from another phone... the process will go this way...

Old phone -> computer
Computer -> Gmail
Gmail -> X10 Mini Pro

Gmail is the central hub in all of this, so as long as your contact in Gmail are correct, it will sync with your phone once it goes online. I don't know of any easy way of syncing an Android phone DIRECTLY with a computer that's not online. **On that note, if there is an easy app for doing this, can someone post a link or QR code for it? TIA!!! **

Once you get the hang of editing contacts in Gmail, everything else will be easy. Just keep in mind that Gmail should be the MASTER LIST... not the one on your computer.

It's a bit of an adjustment, you have to start shifting orientation from client based computing to cloud based... once you get used to doing adjustments online... then your computer and phone sync from there... things will go way smoother than trying to do it the old way of having the master list on your computer then forcing Gmail to follow changes on your laptop (this causes more duplicate entries and some entry errors... at least on a Mac + Addressbook anyway.)
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 11:20

On 2010-08-12 05:11:13, Diffused wrote:
1. PC Companion not getting installed on connecting device to computer. The guide says to tap the install option, but no such option is visible.

Had same issue with my Mini, so I downloaded PC-Companion from the net and updated my phone SW to lates version. Then I uninstalled PC-Companion, connected the phone to the PC and selected to connect it as mass storage and then all of a sudden a pop-up window appeared on my PC asking me if I wanted to install PC-Companion.

On 2010-08-10 04:41:56, jplacson wrote:
@Arne, OOTB the X10 Mini doesn't support Voice dialing or Voice Search... but I have all the voice features enabled on my X10 Mini Pro.

That something I just read on the net (Voice Dailing/Serach was first included and then excluded from 1.6). Nevertheless, speach synthesis seems only available for english, german, spanish and italian. For other languages like mine (Swedish), its not available and hence voice dail can't be done I guess.

How exactly do you initiate a voice dial through headset or through BT on your Mini Pro ?

Are there programs on 2.1/2.2 that can do voice dialing WITHOUT a data connection? Old school style of pre-recording your own command?

Don't know.

On 2010-08-12 08:33:32, jplacson wrote:
@Diffused, you can try to tether your phone to your laptop via Bluetooth and share your laptop's internet to your phone for now.

But this does not work out-of-the box without downloading additional SW from market to my best knowledge, which he can't reach.

Old phone -> computer
Computer -> Gmail
Gmail -> X10 Mini Pro

or

old phone -> SE Sync
SE Sync -> X10 Mini Pro

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2010-08-12 10:34 ]
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2010-08-12 11:57

On 2010-08-12 11:20:24, Arne Anka wrote:

On 2010-08-12 05:11:13, Diffused wrote:

Had same issue with my Mini, so I downloaded PC-Companion from the net and updated my phone SW to lates version. Then I uninstalled PC-Companion, connected the phone to the PC and selected to connect it as mass storage and then all of a sudden a pop-up window appeared on my PC asking me if I wanted to install PC-Companion.

That something I just read on the net (Voice Dailing/Serach was first included and then excluded from 1.6). Nevertheless, speach synthesis seems only available for english, german, spanish and italian. For other languages like mine (Swedish), its not available and hence voice dail can't be done I guess.

How exactly do you initiate a voice dial through headset or through BT on your Mini Pro ?

Don't know.

But this does not work out-of-the box without downloading additional SW from market to my best knowledge, which he can't reach.

Old phone -> computer
Computer -> Gmail
Gmail -> X10 Mini Pro

or

old phone -> SE Sync
SE Sync -> X10 Mini Pro

[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2010-08-12 10:34 ]

True..wifi worked so easily OOTB... although my Linksys router does hang sometimes when my X10 Mini is connected. I just disable then re-enable Wifi on my phone and it works again... or restart my router.

SE Sync (for me) isn't as reliable as Gmail sync. Not to mention, I'm not so fond of proprietary syncing... I do use SE Sync, but it's more of a once a month back-up... and I'm not sure if it works on non-SE phones. I've always owned an Ericsson / SE phone so I can't test it with other brands.
Diffused
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 12:26
@Arne Anka: I did end up trying SE Sync. While it synced the contacts from my old phone, the sign in page on the mini refuses to load.

Will try Google Sync when I get back home.

Managed to get the PC Companion installed. Took a few restarts before the option popped up. However, it keeps crashing. Can't do anything with it'
Dunno if it's cause it's Windows 7 x64 or what.

Typing this all from the phone. Must say, the keyboards a pleasure to use.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 14:21

On 2010-08-12 11:57:07, jplacson wrote:
True..wifi worked so easily OOTB...

Yes it does. Have used mine both with a WIFI modem from Sientific Atlanta as well as with Apple Airport Extreme Base Station. Not a single issue to date (my mini can even pick up and use the signal on the parking lot outside my appartment ).

On 2010-08-12 11:57:07, jplacson wrote:
SE Sync (for me) isn't as reliable as Gmail sync. Not to mention, I'm not so fond of proprietary syncing... I do use SE Sync, but it's more of a once a month back-up... and I'm not sure if it works on non-SE phones. I've always owned an Ericsson / SE phone so I can't test it with other brands.

Have never had any kind of issues with SE Sync. It just works. And if you happen to have an old SE phone, then SE Sync is easier to use as a transfer place first time since it requires less steps.

It is true Google Sync may be supported on a greater variety of phones, but that does not make it less proprietary or more reliabele. What annoys me with google sync is that it stores every new e-mail address I receive as contact. I don't want that (not sure if that's something I can control).

On 2010-08-12 12:26:05, Diffused wrote:
@Arne Anka: I did end up trying SE Sync. While it synced the contacts from my old phone, the sign in page on the mini refuses to load.

What do you mean with page ? Are you refering to the WEB page (you should use the sync application in your mini, not the web) ?

On 2010-08-12 12:26:05, Diffused wrote:
Managed to get the PC Companion installed. Took a few restarts before the option popped up. However, it keeps crashing. Can't do anything with it'
Dunno if it's cause it's Windows 7 x64 or what.

It works perfectly on Windows7 32, that much I know.
[ This Message was edited by: Arne Anka on 2010-08-12 13:36 ]
Diffused
Xperia X10 Mini Black
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 17:25

On 2010-08-12 14:21:19, Arne Anka wrote:

What do you mean with page ? Are you refering to the WEB page (you should use the sync application in your mini, not the web) ?

Nah. In the Contacts menu on the Mini. If I click on Sony Ericsson Sync, it just brings up a white screen which then tells me to click on a link if it doesn't load in 10 seconds.

The browser is working just fine, so I don't know why it isn't picking up my data connection.
Arne Anka
Sony Xperia P
PM
Posted: 2010-08-12 20:22
Aaah, OK. Haven't encountered such problem with mine.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 535455 ... 929394  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic