Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Orange OS Branding on K750i

Author Orange OS Branding on K750i
KrisUK
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-06 19:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I don't get why networks have to interfere with the firmware. Why not take a page from O2s book and just put a start up logo and possibly even lock the phone.

At the end of the day, it just starts to put customers off to revert to SIM free phones.
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 00:06
The networks mess around with the phone so they can say no matter which orange phone in the future it will have easy access menus.

Lots of customers want simplicity and not something different.

eg Nokia, People buy nokias for the ease of use of menus, 95% of Nokia phones have the same menus, so when the customer updates to a new Nokia, the battle of understanding your phone is half way there.

Switch to a SE or Samsung, and guess what, cusotmer gets confused doesnt use half of the functions of the phone and will prob go back to a Nokia in the end.

This is where the networks step in. So we have Nokia, SE and Samsung. 3 Very different phones, but with simular icons in the menu. Customer is comfortable with the phone, ok the phones will do different things but the customer is happy to go wandering in the menus, why because it isnt to much of a difference to what they see in the first place.

Good Customer Stratergy, Customer thinking and guess what the customer is happy and will buy another phone with the same network because he or she knows what they are getting.

My Mum is 64, I changed her from a Nokia to a Samsung, took me a while to learn her the menus but it the end she know uses Wap, MMS, SMS, Camera and even phone. I then showed her my new k750i. Her words oh the icons are like mine. So already shes happy with the phone and not frightend to use it, even tho its a different brand and look.

It doesnt bother me, I just like a phone to do what the manufacture intended it to, so Orange have changed the icons, but I still have a fully functional phone. Orange dont lock anything on the phone, they just change the icons to the generic Orange all phones have now.

A bit long winded but got there in the end. And she has a samsung (before any body starts) as it looked nice and fits in her handbag pocket!! lol

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2005-06-06 23:08 ]
eeperman
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 00:25
Does the Orange branded K750i have a feature like my Nokia 6310i (soon to be retired) which lets you know via an icon if you have an answerphone message waiting? I find the O2 habit of ringing or texting you to be quite intrusive.

I am in the unusual position of having used an O2 K750i for a few days, but am returning it and getting an Orange one instead. When I called Orange to get my PAC code they offered me such a good deal that I had to take it. I found the O2 menus to be crisp and clear and easy to use whereas the Orange menus look slightly dated. However, if the functionality is retained then I don't think its a deal-breaker.

[ This Message was edited by: eeperman on 2005-06-06 23:26 ]
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 00:29
Orange and T-mobile uses the same way to show you a answer phone message.

02 and Voda uses a different voice mail system which sms you or rings you.

No matter what Orange handset you buy you will always get the Voice mail icon.
eeperman
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 00:38
Excellent - I prefer the Orange system. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet with the crappier icons. It beggars belief that a company would put so much time and effort into messing around with a tried and tested sytem that another (arguably more qualified) company have put in place. I hope that some of this discontent is filtering back to Orange as apart from this I have no problem at all with them.
darrengf
T68i
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 00:43
things do get filtered back to Orange and i do know All the networks look at this site.
At least Orange mainly listen to there cusotmers, K700i and more customer complained about not able toset own shortcuts.

Now with the K750i you can
kaiesha
T650 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 10:24
Gutted ;( I can't believe the second rate graphics they've used on the K750. Mines due tomorrow but I'm thinking of cancelling it and ordering from 02

Can anyone confirm that an Orange sim will work in an 02 K750?
itstomhi
W580 Grey
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 13:36
I can't confirm about O2 being unlocked, but I don't see what you do if it is. Do you have a orange sim card that you want to keep? Then what do you do with the o2 sim card?
I must be a bit stupid! But surely you don't want to be paying 2 contracts?

[ This Message was edited by: itstomhi on 2005-06-07 12:44 ]
kidscruff
K800 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-06-07 13:45
Meh, the Orange branding isn't too bad... and considering it's heavily subsidised, do you really want to pay an extra £300 for a sim-free version, just for prettier icons?

Don't get me wrong, as I do prefer the original icons:

the orange icons are all similar colours, and to me are indistinguishable from each other at a quick glance... the original icons are colour coded, so I can quickly identify (red = phonebook), etc...
kaiesha
T650 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 14:36
itstomhi - Reason I ask is because when I've finished with the phone my wife has my hand-me-downs. She just puts her orange sim card in there and gets to keep her number and contract.

She had her first phone about six years ago, when Orange were doing a pay up front deal, whereas you pay about £90, you get the phone (which was a Nokia 3310 at the time) and for that you also get all your line rental. All you pay for is your calls so she only ever gets a bill of about £4 - £6 a month.

No worries I think I'll order the 02 and get it unlocked in 12 months.
Pagnell
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 15:10
Quote:

On 2005-06-07 13:45:46, kidscruff wrote:
Meh, the Orange branding isn't too bad... and considering it's heavily subsidised, do you really want to pay an extra £300 for a sim-free version, just for prettier icons?

You don't have to pay £300 for a sim free model to get prettier icons, you just go with O2 model instead. Other than an installed optional theme, a GPRS O2 icon in the menu and a few animated screensavers, it is exactly the same as a sim free model anyway. Which is more than can be said for the f*cked up Orange K750i - my cousin has it and it looks dreadful.
four
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 20:08
Quote:

On 2005-06-07 10:24:34, kaiesha wrote:

Can anyone confirm that an Orange sim will work in an 02 K750?

Well, my dad says 02 K750 came unlocked, and my 02 K700 did come unlocked, so I would say yes it does.
Wie komme ich am besten zum Bahnhof?
fatreg
T66 pink
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 20:38
Quote:

On 2005-06-07 15:10:56, Pagnell wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-06-07 13:45:46, kidscruff wrote:

You don't have to pay £300 for a sim free model to get prettier icons, you just go with O2 model instead. Other than an installed optional theme, a GPRS O2 icon in the menu and a few animated screensavers, it is exactly the same as a sim free model anyway. Which is more than can be said for the f*cked up Orange K750i - my cousin has it and it looks dreadful.

O2 Cs or Orange CS.

hmmmmmm tough choice!

fatreg
KrisUK
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-07 22:28
Quote:

On 2005-06-07 00:06:06, darrengf wrote:
The networks mess around with the phone so they can say no matter which orange phone in the future it will have easy access menus.

Lots of customers want simplicity and not something different.

eg Nokia, People buy nokias for the ease of use of menus, 95% of Nokia phones have the same menus, so when the customer updates to a new Nokia, the battle of understanding your phone is half way there.

Switch to a SE or Samsung, and guess what, cusotmer gets confused doesnt use half of the functions of the phone and will prob go back to a Nokia in the end.

This is where the networks step in. So we have Nokia, SE and Samsung. 3 Very different phones, but with simular icons in the menu. Customer is comfortable with the phone, ok the phones will do different things but the customer is happy to go wandering in the menus, why because it isnt to much of a difference to what they see in the first place.

Good Customer Stratergy, Customer thinking and guess what the customer is happy and will buy another phone with the same network because he or she knows what they are getting.

My Mum is 64, I changed her from a Nokia to a Samsung, took me a while to learn her the menus but it the end she know uses Wap, MMS, SMS, Camera and even phone. I then showed her my new k750i. Her words oh the icons are like mine. So already shes happy with the phone and not frightend to use it, even tho its a different brand and look.

It doesnt bother me, I just like a phone to do what the manufacture intended it to, so Orange have changed the icons, but I still have a fully functional phone. Orange dont lock anything on the phone, they just change the icons to the generic Orange all phones have now.

A bit long winded but got there in the end. And she has a samsung (before any body starts) as it looked nice and fits in her handbag pocket!! lol

[ This Message was edited by: darrengf on 2005-06-06 23:08 ]

That's definately not the reason. I have dozens of mobile phones pass through my hands and the only differences between the branded and unbranded models are the appearance of the menus are changed and maybe a couple of features changed. They don't use a standard icon for say the messages menu or change the menu to resemble all of their phones. Not even close. Go use a branded Nokia and then a branded Sony Ericsson and tell me how the branding makes the transition between the two easy....
kaiesha
T650 Blue
PM
Posted: 2005-06-08 14:14
I can confirm my orange sim works in my new 02 K750, not sure if it's fully unlocked, not had chance to have a good luck before I put it on it's intial charge
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic