Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Tips and tricks > K750i / W800i- Power User Tips & Tricks

Previous  123 456 ... 242526  Next
Author K750i / W800i- Power User Tips & Tricks
Sergeic
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-30 15:45
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Thanks for some very informative posts on the lithium batteries, Andaho - especially the physical/chemical reason for the old memory effect I always prefer knowing WHY things happen, rather than being given a rule (because rules, especially on the web, are usually wrong or at least only the half truth).

I knew there was no harm in partial recharging, but still thought it was a good idea to prime the battery. Now I know I was wrong (figures I only know now, after having recharged 3 k750i's for 12 hours (struggling to wait before playing with it) before first use )
vd0t
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-06-30 19:28
Quote:

On 2005-06-30 14:36:12, Andaho wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-06-30 09:08:50, vd0t wrote:

for li-ion bats..
i heard that u should drain them once in a while (even tho they dont have memory) just for "conditioning" purposes. around once every 1-2 months.
n also drain after the first couple cycles.

any thoughts on that?

A new lithium-ion battery does not need cycling through charging and discharging. Priming will make little difference because the maximum capacity of lithium-ion is available right from the beginning. Neither does a full discharge improve the capacity of a faded pack.

However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation (e.g. will make the 'battery remaining' meter more accurate). This should be done once every 2-3 months.

Note: The digital circuit in a 'smart' battery is primairly there to stop the charge falling below the minimum operating voltage. Turning your phone on again when it switches itself off may damage the circuit.

just from experience.. i dont think li-ion batteries have their max capacity from the beginning. i always see a noticeable improvement in battery life (from any digital device including cell phones) after the first couple cycles.
now.. what i wanna know is.. does this correlate to the fact that i personally always drain the batt all the way for the first 2-3 cycles. or this happens regardless?
Andaho
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-06-30 21:47
Quote:

On 2005-06-30 19:28:13, vd0t wrote:

just from experience.. i dont think li-ion batteries have their max capacity from the beginning. i always see a noticeable improvement in battery life (from any digital device including cell phones) after the first couple cycles.
now.. what i wanna know is.. does this correlate to the fact that i personally always drain the batt all the way for the first 2-3 cycles. or this happens regardless?

I havent noticed this before. Nor do I see anything about it on my source website www.batteryuniversity.com so I can't explain this one for you... you sure it's not just because when it's new you're playing with it more? heheh
There's 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
vd0t
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 08:36
Quote:

On 2005-06-30 21:47:48, Andaho wrote:
Quote:

On 2005-06-30 19:28:13, vd0t wrote:

I havent noticed this before. Nor do I see anything about it on my source website http://www.batteryuniversity.com so I can't explain this one for you... you sure it's not just because when it's new you're playing with it more? heheh

lol.. it might be.
ive heard an explanation about this somewhere a while ago.
so generally what i do for li-ion batt is..
recharge at least 4 hours or overnight the first time..
drain all the way for the first 2-3 cycles..
drain every 1-3 months (i usually dont intentionally have to do this, it usually just dies on me once in a while haha)
n needless to say, ive never had any sort of batt probs (or even issues with shortening life cycles).
private
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 10:39
Enough about batteries. if you need more info please continue in batteries sticky topic in accessories section.

lets stick to topic.

any more cool tips about k750??
Sergeic
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 14:12
There's one tip for actually backing up games from the k750i games folder to a PC - through Bluetooth (and probably USB too), that I haven't seen mentioned. (emphasis: From phone TO PC, not vice versa, which there are a million threads about).

Then again, I'm sure a lot of people know about it (since it's not that hard to figure out), and simply aren't posting it, knowing that SE will fix the copyright protection hole in the next firmware, if it's posted here (as I see they did for the Mophun games).

I know I wouldn't want to see it fixed - feel I have a right to be able to back up games I bought and paid for.

Afterthought... I guess even just mentioning it is a step in the wrong direction

[ This Message was edited by: Sergeic on 2005-07-01 13:19 ]
private
W900 black
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 17:51
But you could PM. Pls let me know how to backup games fromk750.
rastaz
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 17:59
Thanks Andaho for putting this together....Another tip that I thought might be good to add:

Holding the +/- (volume buttons) when media player is launched will FF or RW to next or previous songs.

Regards,
rastaz
Sergeic
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 18:36
@private: I sent you two PMs - let me know if it works for you too.
Andaho
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 18:42
Quote:

On 2005-07-01 18:36:36, Sergeic wrote:

@private: I sent you two PMs - let me know if it works for you too.

Stick it on here and share with all
There's 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.
itstomhi
W580 Grey
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 18:45
Does anyone know how to change the profile the phone is set to, without having to go through all the menus? I know holding down the # key from the standby screen mutes it, but what about other profiles?

I remember from a while ago, in the nokia days before SE existed, pressing the power button briefly came up with a profile list. Something like that would be quite useful.
Cheers
Sergeic
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 18:59
Quote:

On 2005-07-01 18:42:10, Andaho wrote:

Stick it on here and share with all

I would, but I think I made it quite clear why I'm not just going to do that

For an example of the outcome of that, read this thread (which relates to WAP-access through a PC browser to save games to PC rather than phone), but is still valid for this issue...):

http://www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=33706&start=30

Not the best example, but I know other kinds of userfriendly "vulnerabilities" have been fixed as a result of wholesale posting of flaws like these on a site (I remember one DVD-R where there was still a way to do full speed copying of audio CDs, until a manufacturer found the "tip" on a website, fixed it, and put the "fix" in the same firmware update as several essential updates - reading speed of audio CDs dropped from 40x to 2x).

[ This Message was edited by: Sergeic on 2005-07-01 18:06 ]
Andaho
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 19:05
bah, I'm not too bothered anyhow.... I just use P2P
Sergeic
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 19:16
What the he**... If SE want to fix it, let them fix it. I doubt I'm going to purchase many games anyway.

If everyone else has kept this a well guarded secret for the same reasons as me, too bad. (or just PM me, and I'll delete this).

It's quite simple, and I'm surprised it works - and I don't know if it works on all games, but the few I've tested the "trick" on, it worked. Also, it won't work for the presupplied games (Super Tennis and what have you), for reasons that will become clear.

The main reason we can't copy games is that the k750i simply doesn't show you any "games" folder when you connect to it from the PC. So, what to do... Pick the game you want to copy in the phone's file manager, click the "More" softbutton, choose "Move to ext. mem", then connect through BT (may work with USB or other ways too), go to browse the Memory Stick, enter the "MSSEMC" folder, then the "System" folder, then the folder called "ams". And there it is - a ".jar" file (and possibly a ".jad" file and some other files). Simply copy that .jar-file to the PC, and you're done.

There must be something that's not working with that approach, since noone has posted anything about it But I've tested it on 10 games so far - some simply copied from the PC, others downloaded through WAP.

Oh, by the way, only tested on the latest "R1L002" firmware.

[ This Message was edited by: Sergeic on 2005-07-01 18:22 ]
riffola
K750
PM
Posted: 2005-07-01 20:26
Moving to ext. memory didn't work for me when I tried backing up my games and ringtones just the other day prior to sending the phone to SE USA for repairs. By that I mean that feature is disabled for restricted content like say Aero Mission or 3D Tennis, or the Sony Ericsson ringtone or Greeting.mid

[ This Message was edited by: riffola on 2005-07-01 19:27 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 242526  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic