Esato

Forum > General discussions > Non mobile discussion > BlackBauers Bible Hour

Author BlackBauers Bible Hour
BlackBauer24
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 10:17
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Well, that took me awhile but i finally managed to read all of your posts, and i must say there has been some very interesting and diverse view points expressed on this topic so far, and i will certainly not add or take away from what anyone has said, after all i wanted this thread to be represented by all people whether Christian or not, as i believe this is the only way that we can try to understand and support one another. i have been both blessed and enlightend by all of your replies so far. i would just like to say one thing is certain and that is as a people, united we stand devided we fall. may God bless each and everyone on this forum. and keep the posts coming in.

This message was posted from a P910

absinthebri
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 10:42
BB, if you were talking to someone who knew nothing about Christianity, what one verse or chapter would you say best sums up what Christianity means to you? For me it's 1 Cor. 13.

This message was posted from a T68i

BlackBauer24
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 11:22
@ absinthebri, maybe John chapter 11 verse 25, 26. Jesus said to her," I am the resurrection and the life. he who believes in me, though he may die, he shall live. 26 " And whoever lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?"

Neekos
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 13:08
Guys, I'd probably use John 3:16 (I know it's probably the most known verse!!) and/or Phillippians 2:6-8. What do you guys think?

BTW, I don't want to stir up any negative feelings on past posts, I would just like to say in light of the reason for this particular thread being started in the first place, that my faith, trust, belief etc in the Bible is based on what Jesus has done personally in my life and what I know to be true about the Bible. My experiences and Biblical understanding I have gained as a Christian have cemented my faith in God and the Bible, but have also helped me to see that not everything I first understood was necessarily correct. Were they bad things. No. They were issues that were not fundamental to my faith as a Christian. I certainly don't claim that I know everything, but I will always be open to a greater understanding from others, while that remains consistent with the Bible.

By the way guys, how would you rephrase those verses in a way that would be clearer to someone who is not a Christian? What version (when I say version, I am speaking gramatically!) do you use? NIV for me.

Neekos
absinthebri
W800
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 13:29
I prefer the NIV, too. I also use the KJV (I love the "poetry" of the language) and the Good News Bible (its simplicity is often refreshing).

This message was posted from a T68i

Neekos
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 16:10
I agree with what you're saying there @abs.

When I started going to church, the only version that was really read was the KJV. Infact, reading any other version was kind of frowned upon!! I decided to try the NIV and found it absolutely brilliant. Like you say, the KJV is good for poetry (that Shakespeare feel!!), but I wanted to read in way that uses modern English, yet retains that beauty you get with some of the KJV old English.

Neekos
fetzi
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-16 16:33

Quote:
kimcheeboi: How do we know that the Bible is reliable?

Thatīs nearly the question of the disbelieving thomas (correct term?). For someone who is not a believing christian it is hard or nearly impossible to be persuaded or maybe even attracted by the book itself. Itīs the way of living it or communicating it to others what gives life to the belief - like in any other religion. There have always been teachers and scholars at any time. And for sure bible is not written to be taken litterally; but this doesnīt even count. What if all the books were burnt? Thereīs no need for a book but it has always been a good base - nevertheless too often abused for someoneīs personal interests..

@neekos: what stands NIV and KJV for?
Pop! Goes The Hamster... And Other Great Microwave Games
BlackBauer24
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 16:34
As the Bible asks us prove to all things, surely it would be naive of us to not also prove the validity of Bible, so this statement is directed to those which do not believe in God. How can one believe in something unless they have first sought to believe, to simply dismiss the Bible without first trying to explore its truths will not confirm God exsists or not, so one must try seeking for ones self before offering a constructive conclusion. There are many good books written, but only one that tells us about the nature of God and his intention for men and woman in order to inherit eternal salvation, the bible was written for all of mankind and its words challenge our lives and our earthly carnal desires, read it to understand the true nature of mankind and God, it just could change your life like it changed mine and so many others, or choose to reject it and miss a once in a life time opportunity, after all no one can force you its a decision you have to make for yourself.

Neekos
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 17:13
You're points are valid @fetzi and @BB24. It is difficult to persuade someone to take any notice of Bible if they don't really want to. Prejudices exist everywhere, even in the "church". Proving the Bible true to someone will never completely work, unless they are williing to take a step of faith. There are may arguments about the Bible being "edited" etc, but if examined closely we do see historically accuracies there. Even in areas of consistency, the Bible does stand true if read in context. Most of the problems that exist with differing views is based on inconsistent reading & application. The whole picture is always better that a part of it (except if you've ever seen me paint!!). Btu even after all that, it's how you apply it to you life that counts. I could go on, but I've got to leave work now. I'll catch up with you guys later. We can't all be like Blackbauer24 and spend all our working days on Esato!!

Neekos
Neekos
P900
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 17:17
@fetzi. Sorry matey, I didn't see your question before.

NIV stands for New International Version. KJV stands for King James Version.

I'm definitely going home now!!

Neekos
BlackBauer24
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 17:54
@ Neekos, you need to work on those sermons mate, there way too short. you can get some good tips from Benny Hinn on the God channel tonight. :)

Sammy_boy
C510 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-16 17:57
Some interesting and thought provoking points here!

I suppose if you take a lot of what's in the bible, it's an excellent template for a way to live, a lot of common sense tips for living. For example, sleeping about with other people too much. It's a personal choice imo if you want to do that, I don't think some supreme being is going to come and throw lightening bolts at you, but if you do you'll probably end up with a rather nasty disease and a reputation you don't really want. Cause and effect - but I'm going off topic here!

I guess I see the book as an anology of the human spirit in a way - with 'God' and 'Jesus' being yourself - and the Bible is basically telling you to be honest to yourself - worshipping 'false idols' like materialism and greed ultimately leads to you being unhappy in some way - even if you deny it to everyone else. i.e. you're not being honest with 'God' - yourself! I hope you get my meaning!

One last question/point - is it possible for a person who isn't 'religious' to live a good life? I try to live honestly and in a good way but don't believe in God. So if I live a good, honest life, do I still not go to Heaven as I'm a non-believer? Or is 'Heaven' an analogy of personal happiness, with 'Hell' being a state of personal sadness?
"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke

fetzi
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-16 18:09
Quote:
So if I live a good, honest life, do I still not go to Heaven as I'm a non-believer? Or is 'Heaven' an analogy of personal happiness, with 'Hell' being a state of personal sadness?

Wonder if anybody REALLY knows this here or elsewhere.. I think I would bend my knee and call him/her/it god..

from the christian point, you should at least once believe in god; on the other hand thereīs the saying 'heaven on earth' which is supposed to be for good reason.

I do not know the answer - thatīs the point where belief begins..
Pop! Goes The Hamster... And Other Great Microwave Games
PIANOSSO
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-11-16 19:27
@Sammy_boy
Yes you can live a good life, being a nice person, but isn't enough. Ignoring the existence of God is a sin, as Bible says. Also it says that "all people had sinned, being devoid of the God's eclat." In other words, human beings inherited the original sin, (Adam & Eve) so they (we) are sinner by default. Our good way of living our lifes becomes useless.
vanquish
V600
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-11-16 19:59
BUSH IS NOT A CHRISTIAN

he has signed the most death warrants than any other person in the united states - how can you call that christian?

he is a maniac. if he pissed off, no more wars and terrorists - they all hate him. a fresh start!

i am sorry to sound so demanding, but it is what i strongly feel. praying does not make you a christian, its putting your faith in god and trusting in him and believing that jesus died, and then living your life with gods grace and power according to his will, but if you mess up, its about forgiveness.

i see this nowhere in mr bush's politics! [addsig]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic