Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Nokia N90 Success in Doubt?

Previous  123 456 ... 141516  Next
Author Nokia N90 Success in Doubt?
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 18:28
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
safwaan:
Quote:

I’m not denying the quality of the K750.

Speaking about quality in general, I read a survey in britain which found SE (and moto) phones have the worst quality whereby 1 in 5 phones have faults. Nokia has the best quality with 1 in 10 phones reporting faults.
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 18:34
@goldenface, i was better there, at the beach, eh eh eh
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-08-17 18:38
There is another survey on Mobile Review.

This message was posted from a S700

Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-17 18:38
wow were off topic again. But here again is blindness at its best. Expandable memory is something i prefer more than the next guy, but there is a flaw. The internal wiring if not designed forward thinking may not support the higher read and write speeds of the latest or upcoming memory sticks. Secondly, advantage here goes to Nokia; with the inclusion of wifi & support for voice over ip, users will be able to Skype voice calls! Without the network. Also the market has dictated hard drives for music playing is the best solution = iPod! Pc users still dont know its best trait cause its unavailable to them. A Mac user can transport their user preferences and apps to be loaded into another Mac just like its their home machine.

I keep hearing this talk about most users dont need smartphones, lol. How many people here, that have a k750, or anywhere that listen to their music while checking their calender, or downloading email or even composing an mms while listening to music?! Bet you wont return your k750 for a T610!?!

Nokia didnt invest and develop networks with wifi integration in a test environment for nothing. Dont get me wrong the k750 is a great phone but its too small for even my small hands. And spending 7 dollars for a limited java app; when i can get more use out of a native app for a few dollars more is more beneficial to me, maybe not you but in time, say 2 years we shall see.
mario2002
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-17 18:53
Well sad buddy.I have a old 7650 and ok the mighty k750i takes ways nicer pictures.But thats it. I use a lot instant messeging ,irc for files and data exchange,ftp for direct photo,text upload to my internet site (just to name a few things) try doing that with a k750i ! My wife has a tiny d500, 90 odd grams,very nice but alas the buttons are so close together - sometimes I keep on pressing the wrong one.And the build quality of the k750i is not what we used to know from SE. Look on this very same forum how the complains are piling up.Buttons keep on falling off etc. Greetings from South Africa. Mario

This message was posted from a Nokia 7650

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-18 04:10
mario you guys are power users in the mobile phone stakes, there is no doubt, but the general market is atleast 2 years away from smartphone take up. When devices are more powerful and just as small as K750 or even K700 (smaller) and when 3G networks are available cheaply around the world you will see smartphones appear in droves.

Until then, keen smartphone advocates like yourself are forced to consider large bulky phones like the N90 as "good phones" simply because they have the utility that you need.

I don't "need" a smartphone just yet, and to be honest for all the good they are as a powerful OS, I can't do many things on them that I take for granted on my laptop. For example what about a fully fledged html browser, that can view java sites? I tried to view my internet banking on an XDA II using both the HTML internal browser and some 3rd party ones that claim to be full html browsers. Do you think I could do a simple thing like internet banking? No I couldn't. That's just the tip of the iceberg of limitations that smartphones have.

Smartphones are a big compromise compared to a fully fledged internet connection on a laptop, let alone in terms of processing power. And I'm not talking about my techie needs, since I'll always have a laptop (which satisfies my need to tweak), just basic needs like proper internet surfing and fully featured office integration for a start.

When a smartphone os allows me to forgo my laptop for even those basic needs, then smartphone becomes a "need" and I'll happily buy a bulky smartphone with crap ergonomics.

mario2002
J200
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-18 06:26
Buddy,I agree the 'smart' phones of today do have limitations.However,size isnt that important for me (as long as the unit is no less then 100g and no bigger then 150g).All your other points are taken as is.I still believe SE should have never stopped their smart phone development.In 2years or so the mobile-wifi will take off big time.(enables you to connect to your pc home/work network without using a network/sim card)just think of the implications ! Nokia are actively developing the standard and are a major field player. What is SE going to do ? Pay licence fees to the developers?They should keep on the P-line up and mingle up there with the big guns.Anyway thats just my opinion.

This message was posted from a Nokia 7650

orange
R520
PM
Posted: 2005-08-18 08:18
Quote:

On 2005-08-18 04:10:21, max_wedge wrote:

Smartphones are a big compromise compared to a fully fledged internet connection on a laptop, let alone in terms of processing power. And I'm not talking about my techie needs, since I'll always have a laptop (which satisfies my need to tweak), just basic needs like proper internet surfing and fully featured office integration for a start.

You're saying that smartphones are big and bulky, but yet you're carrying a 2 kg laptop with you!?! Isn't that a bit in contravention of things you're saying here?! You rather carry a 2 kg laptop than a 130 g smartphone to do your basic needs.

Yes, smartphone is always a compromise to a laptop or PC and will stay that way. I don't think smartphones were never aimed to replace a laptop, but complement peoples needs while they are on the move. To satisfy the basic needs people might have like e-mail, PIM, calendar, web etc.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-08-18 09:58
Its a pity about the N90 really. May be if it was a different form factor it would have had a greater take up.

Its strange because if this handset had the sleaker styling of say the N901 series it probably would have flown off the shelves. I think its that dated Nokia styling, that Nokia 'Look', that puts people off.

It looks OK when closed then when open its 'eek'. . . run for the hills. . .

[ This Message was edited by: goldenface on 2005-08-19 15:41 ]

max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-08-18 10:13
no, what I'm saying is that until smartphones cover some very basic needs (like internet banking) I am often FORCED to carry my laptop. I am freakin' ACHING for a smartphone that can replace my laptop for those basic needs, but there AIN'T one around

I don't always carry my laptop, only if I'm driving and it's convenient and I think I might need it. If I'm on my push bike I have no option. Although I do have a good backpack with lappie pocket that I take on the bike if I really need to (when I'm using the bike for transport to work and not for pleasure)

But what I'm saying is that when smartphones CAN do some of those basic things, then I would consider buying one and put up with the bulkiness. By then they will probably be small enough anyway. And there will still be times where I need the laptop, but they will be less frequent.

In the meantime I am happy with my relatively tiny K750 convergence device. It combines basic contacts and calender with MP3 player, fm radio, 2MP digital camera, Basic surfing needs (as good as smartphones), games console (suits my need for gaming), ebooks (tequilacat), and email.

For something I can drop in my pocket or carry on a neckstrap, I think that is damn good. Ultimately, I won't consider smartphones to have "matured" until they can handle the same internet sites that computers can and are as small as todays candybars. That's not a big ask, but I think it's about two years away in phone development.

(I'd be a rich man if I had a dollar for every person who has complained to me that they can't browse this or that website on their brand new "html" enabled smartphone that was sold to them as "internet" capable - this is what the general market are clamouring for and no manufacturer has taken any step towards satisfying that need, other than the implementation of xHTML browsers - a stop gap measure at best considering that java, flash etc don't look like disappearing anytime soon)
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-08-18 10:43
Right now, the k750 is able to use gps software, My Friends/Yamigo to acess msn, wlirc for IRC, with Opera Mini for html browsing, together with multitasking, fabulous 3d games (check the new Range Rover 3d - awesome!!! or motoracer 3d), and the well know great music and photo capabilities, all this in a small and light package, well, there´s not much to miss from a smartphone

As a bonus, you are imune to the plague of .sis virus that are spreading all over the place, at least here in Portugal lol
orange
R520
PM
Posted: 2005-08-18 11:15
Quote:

On 2005-08-18 10:13:23, max_wedge wrote:
no, what I'm saying is that until smartphones cover some very basic needs (like internet banking) I am often FORCED to carry my laptop. I am freakin' ACHING for a smartphone that can replace my laptop for those basic needs, but there AIN'T one around

Maybe you have had wrong smartphones then. I can definitely do Internet banking with mine. So, if Internet banking is your need, there are several smartphones that can do that. What are your other "very basic needs" that you can't do with smartphone?
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2005-08-18 11:54
Even k700 or k750 are able to acess secure sites from banks...i do that all the time, with the 3 banks i use...
mib1800
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-08-18 12:06
I think N90 is targeted at a niche high-end market and I believe Nokia do not expect it to sell in great volume like the 7610/6680/6630.

Dont forget that Nokia has a whole other range of equivalent smartphones (N70, N91, 6680/1, 6630) which are as capable to cater to other preferences.

Even if N90 sells in small volume, it is very unlikely that K750 will pick up the slacks. These people will most probably wait for the N70 or N91. On top of this, the Series40 3G 6270/6280 are around the corner and these 2 phones already beat the capability of K750.

goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2005-08-18 12:13
I don't understand why this has become a K750 v N90 thread. They are not even similar. . .

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 456 ... 141516  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic