Author SE-09-Portfolio
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 13:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2009-08-18 11:58:39, KU wrote:
Gizmodo report that SE is now focusing on smartphone c

Yes, they just reported something that every SE fan knew since early 2009, when the idou was unveiled. Good for them!
ares
P1
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 13:17

Gizmodo report that SE is now focusing on smartphone cause of their walkman and cybershot phones being beaten by the low end smartphones, nice news after a new way of product phones SE is gonna focus on a new type of phone which is marvelous

I SE

Finally. So sick of crap dumbphones
SE w880 + Iphone 4 16gb
snoFlake
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 13:41
Somewhat gives the lie to all the fanboi shrill yells that everything's fine and 2008/2009/2010 is 's year just wait for the upcoming soon to be released (after 9 month wait) new phone awesomeness. Unfortunately I think the management have been drinking the same mareketing department kool-aid.

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic
KU
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 13:52
I think it's because the game changed and both sony and ericsson overestimate SE now the result is a catastrophe SE is bleeding and even if the W995 was an unexcepted success and entertainment unlimited with maybe(I keep the hope) the X2/vulcan are gonna take SE of the current bad financial situation to take them in the new CEO's strategy that seems to be a great one. It's all I think about that as I still miss the Beibei and Paris that I planned to buy...
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 15:41

On 2009-08-18 13:17:51, ares wrote:

Gizmodo report that SE is now focusing on smartphone cause of their walkman and cybershot phones being beaten by the low end smartphones, nice news after a new way of product phones SE is gonna focus on a new type of phone which is marvelous

I SE

Finally. So sick of crap dumbphones

well don't call them dumbphones just because some dude declare it online.... if an idiot who only use a smartphone to make call only...it too will make a smartphone look dumb!!! ...well i seen it ...a lot here at Malaysia.....nokia e66 user only use the phone for call and sms...nothing else...making a smartphone look dumb.
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 16:08
Well dumbphones seem to be the established term for feature phones these days. I don't really see what's wrong with calling them that. It's not like we're insulting the phone, it's just a play on words because it's the opposite of smartphone.
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 16:18

On 2009-08-18 16:08:04, Muhammad-Oli wrote:
Well dumbphones seem to be the established term for feature phones these days. I don't really see what's wrong with calling them that. It's not like we're insulting the phone, it's just a play on words because it's the opposite of smartphone.

...and ironic, since some dumbphones have multitasking, unlimited app installs, proper bluetooth and ah yes, copy-paste and certain so-called smartphones have just discovered some of those features and yet to come across others.
mobse
W850 white
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 16:51

some dumbphones have multitasking, unlimited app installs, proper bluetooth and ah yes, copy-paste and certain so-called smartphones have just discovered some of those features and yet to come across others.

And to think that the 850 launched three years ago has all that working like a charm plus decent web connectivity via SE PC Suite...
T100 Icy Blue 850i Golden White T650i Eclipse Black M600i Crystal White
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2009-08-18 18:52
I could see turning into a HTC style manufacturer, with a key focus on just high end phones and dumping there mid range and low end line-up. Personally i would prefer this, and when se start returning to profability then start to invest in the midrange and low end market.
badassmam
Sony Xperia Z1
PM
Posted: 2009-08-19 00:17
is failing because they release phones that nobody cares about, all these mid and low end phones. Satio is the first full touch phone and its seriously expensive. Nokia 5800 is a worse phone but its cheaper and its a massive hit. You can get a Samsung Tocco lite for £100 which is only average but it offers a touchscreen that the W995 lacks. need to get with the trends. Having no iPhone competitor is amazing, everyone has cashed in while still refuses.

In fairness, Vulcan and Rachael are top phones but HTC and Samsung offer a wide range of phones. I played with the Touch HD successor and it is the ultimate phone, nothing comes close. It is amazing, software and hardware. Its something innovative, functional and powerful. I will be shot by both companies if I mention any specs but Vulcan is also powerful like this HTC. The new line-up from HTC will be in shops soon and well ahead of Vulcan. Nokia will have loads of touchscreen phones out soon as well. The 5800 was Nokia's first touchscreen device from last year and now they have more devices than which says it all really. Hell, the W350 replacement has been around for ages but still no sign of release.

Honestly, is beaten this year but for Vulcan which is a real bad boy. You slap a logo on a poor imitation iPhone or even a 5800 and you will be guaranteed sales. How hard can it be?
rizzamarv
Xperia Ray
PM
Posted: 2009-08-19 04:26
@badassmam

like your hints about the Vulcan because that is actually the only phone I am interested in.... the keyboard of my X1 is starting to annoy me. the space bar doesn't work properly and its driving me nuts when I am typing emails . Furthermore I am using spb shell 3.0 and the bloody screen rotation takes ages . If these two things were fixed I would be more than happy a little extra speed would be an added plus...

Anyway your hint about the release makes me a little sceptical. but a touch only is not an option for me so touch HD no thank you. could you maybe give a little hint (this year or next) for release. If not thats okay, I'll have to stay patient. Thanks anyway for the bundles of info!

razec
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-08-19 05:26
Well if SE manages to build a Custom UI from the ground up for Vulcan then that'll be hit for sure. honestly Satio UI isn't that great as only the colour schemes and the 5-tab homescreen were the ones that have been customized. the animations are quite poor as well as it reminds me of the window slide effect on Samsung feature phones. SE should have some kick ass UI on satio give its pretty powerful platform.

I also hope someone could finally confirm the 1Ghz and 512MB ram on vulcan via leaked pics
10 years at Esato
soane28
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2009-08-19 07:57
the sooner Bert Nordberg takes over the better. I kinda suspected Dick as soon as you saw his background - all about sales of sony and marketing. Bert actually suggests creating a portfolio that reflects what consumers NEED. SE used to reflect is as a company back in the K750 days! Sigh.
synn
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2009-08-19 08:35

On 2009-08-19 07:57:40, soane28 wrote:
the sooner Bert Nordberg takes over the better. I kinda suspected Dick as soon as you saw his background - all about sales of sony and marketing. Bert actually suggests creating a portfolio that reflects what consumers NEED. SE used to reflect is as a company back in the K750 days! Sigh.

Again, the Satio; the X2; the X3... All phones that the consumers are eagerly anticipating: Given the go-ahead by Komiyama-san. Not Bert Nordberg.

Why do people forget the basics before they start playing the role of online analyst?
snoFlake
W800
PM
Posted: 2009-08-19 11:57
Not sure that consumers, fanboys aside, are eagerly awaiting them. Most won't wait unless it's for something unique and as alledged handsets will almost certainly have direct competitors available before them why should they wait? That is assuming they haven't been drawn to other paltforms in the meantime (Winmo's getting a pounding in recent sales stats). Was the X1 a better iteration of a WM6.1 phone than all the others or just a later to market one? The panels certainly have been a runaway success there may even be more than 10.

Obviously not all Komiyama san's fault as Flint era was responsible for failure to expand development of touch UI platform and handsets or anything capable of matching up to consumer's changing expectations post iPhone (oh the irony of SE being caught without a touch UI strategy - gonna make one of the great business school study cases one day) however he doesn't seem to have been able to get on top of the shambles or resurrect UIQ programme even as a stop gap measure or just get something released quickly to market anything really other than yet more mid range dumbphone snorefests. Now we have a series of "me-too " shared platform phones alledgedly in the pipe line the the only non vapourware at the moment sems to be Satio which are running 6 months + behind their rivals. In the NY Times (I think it was) article on it SE themselves all but admit this. If there's as long a lead time after Bert takes over even if he gets strategy right we shouldnt' expect to see anything worth bothering about until H2 2011. Is there going to be space left for an expensive me-too solution, mebbe.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 373374375 ... 477478479  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic