Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Worms like game for Px00 available at:

Previous  123 45 ... 394041  Next
Author Worms like game for Px00 available at:
floss
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-08-23 11:41
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
> I don't think floss meant to select a random map, but to generate a
> random landscape.

That is correct. I have it pretty much working for the Jungle tileset. I just want to add in some controls so you can set the random seed if you wish... so that if you find a map you really like, you can play it again.

Should be ready early this week.

Tom
spora
P800 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-08-23 13:58
oooo this game is wicked
So grimy
se_p800
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-23 19:17
I had the demo, than after a day if starts flickering white every 3 seconds. I thoguh this was just on the demo. I bought the real thing and registered, and I can't play because it keeps flickering white! anyone else had this problem?
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-23 19:43
i haven't had this problem, however, it could be that you have an app in the background running.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
syntax
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-23 20:02
Having had the demo for a few days and played it in bed before before I go to sleep, here are a few observations.

- The last ant remaining on a team should be automatically selected and ready to go.

- There is a tiny black line around a falling ant sprite for a split second during its rotation.

- Quit should be on the front menu instead of inside the options.

- Although I appreciate programming AI must be very tricky, it seems that the computer likes to jump continously against a steep wall for ages, then return to its original postion and attack.

- Id like to see the computer speed up a bit, it takes around 5 seconds for it to select an ant (even if theres only one left) then another 10 seconds jumping around and attacking. Perhaps an option to speed this up?

- As I have only played the demo I am unsure if this is already known in the full version, but using the jog dial allows you to zoom closer into the action than using the magnifying glass.

- Would it be possible to increase the strength of gravity slightly, its kind of fustrating to watch the power ups float gently from the sky, bounce down a hill and then come to a slow stop. (it also feels like were playing underwater, with the current gravity setting)

- Again dont know if this is already implemented, but it would be nice to select an ant by tapping on them aswell.

- Is it possible to forfeit/skip a turn?

If any of the above have already been suggested (or indeed already in the gae), then I apologise. Overall one of the best games on the p900, and I am sure with a few tweaks here and there it will be a must have app.
floss
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-08-23 22:02
I have just uploaded version 1.03, which has randomly generated maps. These only use the jungle tileset at the moment. Id like to get peoples opinions on these maps before I proceed further with it.

> I had the demo, than after a day if starts flickering white every 3 seconds

Yeah, that certainly shouldnt happen. The only time I would expect something like that was if another application was constantly trying to wrestle control of the screen from Soldier Ants. Drop me an email (support@smartmobilegames.com) and let me know what the situation is.

> The last ant remaining on a team should be automatically selected

A couple of people have asked for that. It is on my list of things to do.

> There is a tiny black line around a falling ant sprite

I shall add that to the list also! Just needs the texture tweaking a little.

> Quit should be on the front menu instead of inside the options.

It used to be on the front menu but looked really untidy. If you have a phone with a flip then you can quit by simply snapping the flip shut which is more convenient.

> it seems that the computer likes to jump continously against a steep
> wall for ages

Yeah, I can fix that.

> Id like to see the computer speed up a bit, it takes around 5
> seconds for it to select an ant

It is using that time to decide which move to perform, youll notice it takes slightly longer on hard than on easy. This could be sped up a little, but it is necessary to spend some time here.

> Would it be possible to increase the strength of gravity slightly

Yes! I agree with you there. It will take a few days to check the balance of the game afterwards, but it is a trivial change otherwise.

> it would be nice to select an ant by tapping on them aswell.

I had not considered that, but I think it makes a lot of sense in certain situations. I shall put it on my list.

> Is it possible to forfeit/skip a turn?

Not yet, but it can be.

Excellent suggestions!

Cheers,

Tom

se_p800
P800 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-23 22:21
i have a suggestioin. I dont't think it has been mentioned, but on worms, there is a ninja rope which you shoot at a place you want to go and pull yourself upto. A bit like spidermans web.

it might be easier then the jet pack!
syntax
P990
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-23 22:48
Tom,

Great work and thanks for getting back to me on the suggestions. Is the demo version (on your website) updated to 1.03 too?

And out of curiosity, whats the status of the flight sim?
floss
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-08-23 23:13
> Is the demo version (on your website) updated to 1.03 too?

No, I have left the demo version at 1.02. The random maps are only in the full version.

> And out of curiosity, whats the status of the flight sim?

The flight sim is on hold for the moment, I'm too busy with Ants to do any work on it. It is working, it just doesnt feel finished yet.

Tom
Qwerty_uk
P900 no flip
PM
Posted: 2004-08-24 10:21
Played the demo version last night and DEFINITELY intend to buy the full version soon. Good work floss/Tom! It's great to have a game like this on my P900!

I agree with the suggestions of gravity, last-ant-auto-select, stopping repeated jumping of AI ants, and strike-style weapons. Ninja rope would be nice too, but I imagine tricky to implement and hard to control using the screen.

My further suggestions are:

- Zooming in/out is great, but sometimes the ant you're targeting is still off screen. It would be great to be able to drag on the background to scroll around the whole map to have a good look. This may clash with the press-on-screen-to-walk function, but I'd rather have a couple of arrows on each side for that (pressing on them would automatically return the view to the selected ant).

- Why does the ant sometimes jump when you're trying to walk (especially after using jetpack)? I managed to get onto a high ledge and then inadvertantly jump straight back off again! These jumps are higher than the ones you can do with the jump buttons.

- Setting the time-limit for grenades (1-5 sec), as already suggested.

- Time to move ant after firing: Combined with above, would allow a grenade to be dropped on the floor by an ant, then move away before it explodes. The arrows suggestion above would also help in moving ants that are off-screen after firing a long-range weapon.

- Are you able to utilise the camera/internet buttons? (V-Rally does). Camera button could be held down to snap to your own ant and ignore the fired weapon, so that you can re-position him. Internet button could be used for easy-access jumping (in the direction the ant is facing).

- REPLAY OPTION, so you can re-witness amazing shots (and also see the results of shots you were ignoring if the above option is implemented).

That's about it for now. I'd like to know what you think and welcome responses from other players. I get paid tomorrow, so expect me to register very soon!

Qwerty
floss
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-08-24 11:07
> Zooming in/out is great, but sometimes the ant you're targeting is
> still off screen. It would be great to be able to drag on the
> background to scroll around the whole map to have a good look.

You can hold the stylus down on the screen edge and the screen will scroll in that direction. I found a bug in that when an ant is close to the edge of the map, but it will be fixed soon.

> Why does the ant sometimes jump when you're trying to walk

They try to jump over lumps in the ground. I could remove this if it is really annoying people.

> Are you able to utilise the camera/internet buttons?

In theory I am able to but I've never found out how. I always found those buttons fiddly to use. How about if you click at all after firing a weapon it is seen as an attempt to move your ant and the screen snaps back to the ant.

> REPLAY OPTION

Ah, yes. It needs this most when you have two players passing the phone and they want to see the last move before they make their move. This is quite tricky, but not impossible.

Cheers,

Tom

floss
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-08-24 22:43
Version 1.04 is going up in a few minutes, with these changes:

Dying ants now explode, harming other ants.
Gravity has been increased on the ants, weapons and crates.
You no longer need to select an ant, if you only have 1 ant left.
Ants now rebound off each other after being hit by weapons.
Grenade detonation time has been tweaked.

Tom
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-08-25 00:46
I've played around some more, and it's in my opinion that the icons/images could be a bit more simplified.
What I mean to say is that the images are very hard to distinguish.
Especially when there is a background that has a similar color to the item you wish to select.
Perhaps a darker background on the weapon selection menu?

One of the things I enjoyed in worms were crate drops.
This really added a whole different type of gameplay, people who went to the crates would get rare or unseen weapons that would change the tables on the battle field. For example, an ant may walk to a dropped crate and find a kamikaze weapon which allowed the ant to kill itself and another ant if targetted correctly. (of course that is just a suggestion)

Girders were also another nice addition. Having girders meant that a person was able to choose a size and angle of the girder and either use it as a bridge or a step or even a wall to block attacks.

I think a more colorfull and vibrant feel to the game would make it more appealing. (I dont even know if you liked the map i created as a sample though)

For the scroller wheel, I was thinking, rotating it right and left would be better off as a method of panning to the right or left of the map, and actually pushing the wheel inwards or sorryds could be used as a zoom in or zoom out (hope that's easy to understand)

One other feature that was great was the SUDDEN death. This would automatically start after a long period of time. All ants would drop to a health of ONE, and basically just duel it out.

That's all I have for the moment, *goes off thinking*

or Try Oxygen Inc. or Aqua-Side Oxygen-X

[ This Message was edited by: amnesia on 2004-08-24 23:50 ]
sbellon
M600 black
PM
Posted: 2004-08-25 07:34
I completely agree with amnesia's suggestions.

In addition, I have two more ;-)

1) Throwing grenades always happens in a high arc. It should be possible to throw grenades with a flat arc, so that you can throw them into a cave, e.g.

2) When you drag the direction, then a yellow arrow appears. If the target is far away, then the arrow not only gets longer but also bigger, thus hiding a lot of the scene. Is it possible to make that yellow arrow transparent so that one can see through it? Alternatively, don't enlarge the width of the arrow but only the length when dragging it further away.

That's it for the moment. 1.04 is already a big improvement over 1.02 which I last tried.
floss
P800
PM
Posted: 2004-08-25 13:14
> weapon selection menu - icons/images could be a bit more simplified

Yeah, I agree with that. At the moment they are shrunk photographs of the real items, which are often black. That doesnt work very well on a black background. I'll put it on my list

> crate drops

Soldier ants has crate drops. That is how you get the Mango of Doom. The aardvark will also be obtainable from the weapons crates.

> Girders were also another nice addition

I'll have to look into that one, I have less Worms experience than most here I think.

> think a more colorfull and vibrant feel to the game

At the moment, I'm looking at finishing off the random map generator. Once that is done there will be some new tilesets. At least one of these is likely to have a slightly Sonic feel to it... which should be really garish!

> the map i created

It looked good but quite simple. Have you tried inserting maps into the game? I left some notes on that in the faq. One the random map stuff is done you could also create your own tilesets.

> One other feature that was great was the SUDDEN death

I always disliked that, but if you folk want it I will put it in. Its trivial to add.

> Throwing grenades always happens in a high arc.

You can throw a grenade flat but you have to throw it fast to do this. Drag the aiming arrrow away from the ant and he'll throw the grenade harder.

> Is it possible to make that yellow arrow transparent so that one can
> see through it

Yes, that sounds like a good idea.

Cheers,

Tom

Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 45 ... 394041  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic