Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers

Author P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers
hjuhlin
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 09:08
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Hi all P800 owners out there!

First I want to say something’s about what you all have wrote before. Why can’t you say to the topic “P800 Bugs and Suggested Improvements for Sony Ericsson Engineers”? I mean half posts are stupid posts about the release date and if they did miss something’s or not. Let’s say that a SE employed really read this do you think that he or she wants to read 10 posted in a row about if there should be sms folders or not? That could have been done easily whit only one post.
* I miss SMS folders.

And that should have been the end of that discussion. I miss a timer in then phone and think that’s a stupid thing to not put in. But I’m not going to start a war about it whit you, now lets write that’s as a poster here and then its ok!

The other thing a want to say is that you all should stop comparing this whit old ericsson/se phones. You have to remember that this phone is built on a completely new OS. Like profiles were in the T68 why wasn’t that code kept in the P800? You have to start to understand that this is a Symbian OS phone that’s based on Symbian not ericsson/se software. If it was based on the old software I’m sure that I would have profiles, timer, sms report and so on. But hey it’s completely new software for us and we have lots of new functions that we should be glad of. And I really think that they will add some of the things I did mention here.

And last they anyone of you really think that the phone should work perfect and hade everything for the start? This is very advanced software so you all have to accept that’s it’s going to need some updates. I mean I hade a R520 before this and that telephone is not as half as advanced as this phone but still I needed to update (for free) 3 times before it was perfect. And the first update did give me lots of new stuff that they didn’t mention anything about in the manual like EMS and things. Thanks for Ericsson! And you all T68 owners how was it whit the T68i update, that was free right and did add lots of things. I mean se care about there customers and let them update there phone for free instead of Nokia that releases an i-version of the phone instead.

So can we stop fighting in this topic and only write bugs and suggested improvements instead, I think if we do we will have a lot bigger chance to get what we want.

So here comes my list (for Symbian and SE)

* Timer/Stopwatch

* Change the chance in the web browser (I hate when I go to a page and have to start whit refreshing it.

* Someway to change the volume whit closed flip

* Fix the problem whit 10 min crash when booting then phone (Happened after installing some java program. Even if the java program have some serious bugs it can’t crashes the phone like this.)

* Fix the camera, all picture I take in doors have way to much yellow after running auto levels in Photoshop all pictures look much better. And the only thing auto levels do is fixing the colour balance and brightness. I mean if Photoshop can do it then the software in the phone should be able to do it right!

Froddan
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 18:04
This might be a tough one to fix, but I really miss that second timeslot
of 7650 when sending on gprs...
It's sooo darn slooow to send anything bigger from this...
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 18:35
@jplacson, i`ll say it again, no phone is made that recognises the whole number, it doesn`t work if you do that because below are examples of one number being dialed in different ways, ALL have to be recognised as the same number by your phone;
normal UK = 01255123456
internatioal = +441255123456
calling card = 169601255123456
withheld no. = 14101255123456
both above = 141169601255123456
there are many more, so it is impossible to aviod your mixed up caller id problem.
one of my friends got the same mobile as home number but with different prefix codes & every phone i have owned can`t tell them apart. p800 is no different.
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 18:45
@raven, i seem to agree with you, people still think of P800 as a phone, but it`s a small PC isn`t it. Most people accept that you buy a PC then you customise it as you use it, thats why they are so good. so the apps for the P800 will grow very fast in number as people start to personalise it to there needs, i can not imagine a better system,
For those who want a certain thing like delivery reports, don`t nag SE nag your network because they can provide delivery reports via an sms sim upgrade.
R520 copper
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 18:47
ever wondered where the wriststrap shld be placed? it is placed under the phone, open the hatch and ull see a small hook. - thanks weneklek for the info. [addsig]
Bonzo
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 19:11
This seemed like a great topic at first..
But at page 2, there was a lot of talk and debate..
I must agree with the person who wrote that a SE engineer would get sick of reading..
Shame..

I'm from Norway..
Most of the population have Nokia.
Especially the younger part..
And they send picture messages, in Nokia style.. (Not ASCII!)
My T68i could read these. It could not edit, nor send..
My P800 can't read these.. Why?
Can this be fixed with 3rd party software?
jplacson
Sony Xperia P
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 19:23
Backlight (frontlight?) brightness control... I know this is possible cuz the phone already has 2 levels of brightness... the dimmer level kicks in after 1 min when you set the light for "on".
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 19:28
yea my ipaq had manual dim control or auto mode on the TFT screen, but unlike my t68 the screen is not to bright at night for me. although for power saving it`s a good idea.
akiro
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 20:48
Quote:

On 2003-01-07 19:06, ktd wrote:
4) frames, asp, php in browser.

ASP and PHP are both server side techniques for writing web-applications and have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the client-end (the browser). Get your facts straight before you whine here.

But so that im not completely off-topic, profiles SE, PROFILES! Most of the other stuff people have written here i dont mind, i like my p800
akiro
P800
PM, WWW
Posted: 2003-01-08 20:52
Quote:

On 2003-01-08 09:08, hjuhlin wrote:
* Timer/Stopwatch

That would take like 60min to code with Java from scratch. You dont have to have EVERYTHING in the OS. Do a search with google, there probably are lots of free/small java stopwatch applications. The great thing with the p800 is you can ADD STUFF YOURSELF, dont have to ask SE for everything.
Rashkae
P900
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 21:28
Quote:

On 2003-01-07 20:23, Omar wrote:
And yes, it should be able to record videos and the lens should be a Carl Zeiss (better quality) just like on Sony digital still and handycams. The 7650's pic quality is waaaay better.

No point in Carl Zeiss lenses for 640x480 cameras.

7650 pic quality waaaay better? Huh? What have you been smoking lately? In every comparison the 7650 always loses!!!
pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-08 21:35
@Rashkae, i don`t accept that the 7650 looses in every comparison, as it wins outrite in th "biggest unexpandable memory phone with the smallest screen" competition.
Cunning Man
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-01-09 01:59
Thanks for keeping this thread going - I'm going to keep sending summaries of it to the SE support email until they get back to me... Do stay on the topic if possible chaps.

I think we've captured most of the bugs/obvious improvements already, but just to toss in my $0.02 again:

- I really agree with the following:

- FM receiver - I didn't think it was that useful until I tried out the Nokia 6510 last week. That tiny phone has a great FM reception - wonderful way to have music on the go without worrying about storage for MP3s...

- Speakerphone and microphone on the front of the phone (duh). I tried using the speakerphone in my office yesterday, and had to place the phone upside down on my desk in order to hear the caller and vice versa - increasing the volume of the speakerphone would be great too.

- As someone suggested before - a skinnier/smaller model without the 3rd rate camera would sell well I think. Most of us don't really need a camera... Unless of course they implement real-time videoconferencing...

- Yes I know I've mentioned it (many times) before - FIX THE OUTLOOK SYNCHRONISATION!!! If this doesn't happen soon I think I'm just going to sell the thing on ebay and buy the Palm Tungsten W wireless PDA when it comes out. Right now I have to manually enter the same info twice - on my PC at work and on the P800. Not good.

- Folders for emails/SMSs...

- (Again) T9 for one-handed SMSs please! Perhaps add the auto-complete feature as per Pocket PCs too...

- (Again) The ability to use the memory stick DUO by default for the PDA functions - right now, even if my Outlook synchronisation worked, I would probably not have enough memory in the main phone for my 3000+ contacts and similar number of calendar items and notes...

- Probably soon available with a 3rd party fix: Show a clock somewhere on the interface when the flip is open for goodness sake - everytime I'm using the PDA functions I have to close the flip to see the time...

Keep 'em coming chaps.

C
Raven
P800
PM
Posted: 2003-01-09 03:07
just tap the clock icon in pda mode(right next to the battery icon), easy as that..

This post was posted from a P800

pachy
P990 no flip
PM
Posted: 2003-01-09 03:19
@raven, remember all the people who complained about the clock screen saver on th t68......SE can`t win can they.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic