Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > Samsung d500 REVIEW

Previous  1234  Next
Author Samsung d500 REVIEW
sehmis
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-12-23 16:59
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Is it possible to sync phone numbers and meeting calendar with Outlook ?
joebmc
S700
PM
Posted: 2004-12-23 17:49
Sexy phone, sexy girlfriend
I want one (d500, already got one girlfriend and she's a hand full as it is )
Ben.Cook
T39 black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-12-26 21:17
@sehmis
Yes you can sync with Outlook, but you need the Samsung s/w with you can d/l from www.samsungmobile.com
Rob_B
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-11 20:11
I've had t68>t68i>p800>p900>k700i and i'm 'upgrading' to a d500 now, it's not costing me much at all so compared to an s700 its dirt cheap, compared to a k700i if price wasn't a problem i'd say it wins.

-better screen
-better cam (even in vga)
-more memory

but...

-poorer mp3 quality through the speaker
-it's not an SE!
-4mb for java (not a problem though, never would i even use that much!)

i've tested the phone in work and it accepts files fine from my k700i (mp3s, pics) with IR and Bluetooth

So for me i'm please with my choice!
Rob_B
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2005-01-14 16:58
ok, cancelled my order with o2 as they didnt have any stock (told me they did when i ordered it!) think i'll wait for the new SE models, any ideas when they're out?
GoldFinger
W595 White
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-07 18:23
Along time after they restock the D500, im guessing...

Im waiting for a D500 from orange should be three weeks. Then i'll be selling my P900 on ebay, seem tobe going for a tidy sum on there. Not bad as it was a free upgrade...
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2005-02-07 18:28
did you try carphonewarehouse?

I went in on Saturday morning for an upgrade for my wife (not that she really wanted it) without any idea of what I wanted and they offered a fairly good price for the D500 unbranded and unlocked on vodafone upgrade. I looked at a few other phones like the V3 (which was the same price but which I already have) but in the end after all the hype on here about the D500 I went for that

actually after playing with it since then I am fairly impressed and have only found a couple of minor niggles
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2005-02-07 20:53
you could always try
http://mobile.oxygen-inc.com if you want to buy a D500
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
EMAGDNIM
C905 Gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-10 06:33
I had to send mine back to the place I bought it at. the bluetooth was totally crippled and it would not connect with anything...

but thats just me STARTING on the phone. The actual software drivers on the phone are REALLY unstable. Mine wouls turn itself off numerous times, for no reason...

Oh well, they were going to send me another one but I told them to forget it. I will use my 6230b for now untill I order my V800 or P910 on payday...
liamtollan
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-02-13 19:57
Just a few comments on the D500...

I have had one on Orange for less than a week and am already planning on returning it. IMO it isn't a major improvement on my k700 so im planning on waiting to see what se plan on releasing soon.

My main gripe with the phone is with Orange's customization. I managed to play with a friends D500 on T-mobile (little or no customization?). Anyway, Orange have disabled the ability to assign shortcuts to key directions from the initial screen (ie similar to the k700). This is a major disadvantage, especially as you have to go through the menu to enable bluetooth. Orange have added their own 'toolbar' to the desktop instead. It offers 'quick' access to call list, messages (inboxes), calender and WAP. The toolbar isnt too intrusive, though combined with the lack of shortcuts it is very annoying. Overall, it seems a good phone, unfortunately spoiled by Orange (IMO).

On a similar note, why do Orange customize their phones in such a manner? (I think Voda do it as well?) What is the benefit to them?

Thanks,

Liam
glamour678
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-24 20:53
does anyone know how to get rid of the menu on the left hanside of the branded orange phones...really do not like it!
any guidance would be great

On 2004-12-11 00:01:33, spikee_3D wrote:
i'll review it now whilst my girlfriend is playing with it (the phone that is )

for starters this is an orange branded phone with the menu on the left handside. its been discussed to hell above so just a quick conclusion: it transparent, its thin; its not a problem.

first things - whats in the box!

you get headphones/handsfree - nice stereo looking headphones, white with silver on the earplugs. manual, NO data cd, an external speaker that plugs in a port on the side that amplifies for mp3's, games, voice calls etc. on a side note you CAN use speaker phone without the supplies amplifier. oo, and a phone strap.

Next: Design.

love the slide action. semi automatic as was the e800. the dark grey design adds a touch of class to it. quite executive looking. little orange logo on the back, nothing much at all

Screen:

as you probably know, 265k tft screen, nice and bright, colours look really vivid. works perfect in direct sunlight (can you believe it, i got to test it out on a sunny day in WALES!!).

Menu:

uses a GUI. similar to that of the e800. easy to navigate.

keys:

bit small, but you won't need to get a tooth pick out to press them! i got big hands and have got to grips with it very quickly. got the up down left, and rigt keys with a central "ok" key.

Texting:

uses t9, has a dictionary (thank god! man has to keep his swears to hand). you can select large, medium, bold, normal and italic fonts.

Camera!

1.3 mp. 6 settings. 1152x864, 640x480,320x240,176x144,128x96,1280x1040. normal, fine, superfine settings. you can turn of shutter sound. picture quality in my opinion is excellent. it automatically adjusts to light situations. built in light, has to settings: one where it is constantly on, the other where it is on just before it takes the photo.

example of mega pixel mode (1152x864)

all in all i think you will agree its good quality considering these were in low light conditions.

Bluetooth:

it really is excellent. especially for the first attempt. full implimentation, send and receive features. bluetooth headsets comply perfectly. you also have the option to browse files on other peoples which is not available on the k700i. if your interested i'm using an msi bluetooth dongle and a motorola bluetooth headset (cant remember which model , the cool one)

games,tones, etc:

3 games, penalty shootout one, some space fighter one, and some mini rpg. pretty good actually. plays mp3 for ringtones, 10 different sms tones (not custmisable, sadly ). all tones really loud

over all i would gve it 9/ 10.

pros:
excellent screen
good camera
nice loud ringtones
good blutooth implimentation

cons:
un-customisbale sms ringtones
er... my girlfriend wont give me it back?!

EDIT: i forgot tot mention the battery. had it on solid for a day now. made a couple of calls, sent some text, transfered a lot of stuff via bluetooth. 13hrs later the battery is full.

[ This Message was edited by: spikee_3D on 2004-12-10 23:09 ]
[/quote]
glamour678
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-02-24 21:00
doeas anyone know how to delete the shortcuts on the screen that orange put on there????

On 2005-02-13 19:57:35, liamtollan wrote:
Just a few comments on the D500...

I have had one on Orange for less than a week and am already planning on returning it. IMO it isn't a major improvement on my k700 so im planning on waiting to see what se plan on releasing soon.

My main gripe with the phone is with Orange's customization. I managed to play with a friends D500 on T-mobile (little or no customization?). Anyway, Orange have disabled the ability to assign shortcuts to key directions from the initial screen (ie similar to the k700). This is a major disadvantage, especially as you have to go through the menu to enable bluetooth. Orange have added their own 'toolbar' to the desktop instead. It offers 'quick' access to call list, messages (inboxes), calender and WAP. The toolbar isnt too intrusive, though combined with the lack of shortcuts it is very annoying. Overall, it seems a good phone, unfortunately spoiled by Orange (IMO).

On a similar note, why do Orange customize their phones in such a manner? (I think Voda do it as well?) What is the benefit to them?

Thanks,

Liam
[/quote]
AlfBaxter
K700
PM
Posted: 2005-02-24 21:15
@liam

IMHO Orange customise in this way to make sure you don't forget about services that use GPRS. On an Orange branded K700i you have two camera shortcut keys and two Internet shortcuts. The ones displayed on standby act as a constant advertisement for picture messaging and GPRS internet, both of which make Orange quite a lot of cash.

It's been posted elsewhere on a thread about the Orange customisations for K700 that following hundreds of complaints, Orange finally explained that the removal of the shortcut menu was 'a business decision'. I don't see what else, apart from encouraging the use of certain (expensive!) services, could motivate such a decision.
Stinger151
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2005-02-24 21:22
when u say this phone has a semi automatic flip what do u mean?has it got a button which u press, cause i dont see one on my d500.
Project
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2005-03-06 18:48
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi