Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Cell phone Use on Airplanes

Author Cell phone Use on Airplanes
adamrj
T68 grey
PM
Posted: 2002-02-20 15:33
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Interesting discussion. One thing that annoys me is not being able to use a mobile in petrol stations 'because they spark'. Please! Have you ever seen a mobile sparking?
Fingers
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-02-20 15:38
I've heard that it's not the sparking but the radiation emitted from them, might act like your microwave and heat the fuel vapours enough to ignite them, just a precaution, that's why we're not allowed to use our phones within 3 metres of the plane when we have their fuel tanks open
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-02-20 16:01
krusel,

you said "none of the airlines like when your phone is running on board"

this is not true.

as astro009 has said, "The use of cell phones is a rule made by the civil aviation authorities of the country the aircraft is registered in and is law."

i travelled to and from Germany every weekend all of last year and found the differences in rules and regulations were based on the airlines being from different countries. if you fly Lufthansa(German) your not allowed to have your phone on at any time on board, a rule made by the civil aviation authority of Germany.

if you fly British Airways the rule is different, you can openly use your phone on board as long as the engines are not running.

BA will even annouce you can use your phone if take off is delayed and you have to wait out on the airstrip and they turn off the engines.
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-02-20 16:11
another point to note is i witness alot of people using their phones on some airlines and getting verbally abused by staff for it.

the fact is if 1 airline such as BA allow use of your phone with specific criteria for when it should be switched off ie. when the engines are turned on, then another airline says you cannot use them at all on board, why don't they have it printed on the boarding passes?

how is the traveller to know what the rules are when they're not told, it took me about 3 months to figure this out then i just stuck to flying BA to Germany and whenever i did fly Lufthansa i ended up explaining to people why the staff get so uptight about phone use.
Fingers
T610
PM
Posted: 2002-02-20 19:58
It must be frustrating for the cabin staff, so many people have cell phones now and so many people don't listen or read the card in the seat pocket. It's part of the law that the airlines have to adequately inform passengers of when they can and can't use what they call portable electronic devices. Most are pretty good at it.
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-27 23:32
I think it is stupid of corse it is not dangerous to use cell phones on a plane!
If it wear dangerous dont you think a bunch of Osama wanabes start wapping there ass of right before landing in NYC!
decoy7
K700
PM
Posted: 2002-07-27 23:45
Quote:

On 2002-07-27 23:32, Bjerkebanen wrote:
I think it is stupid of corse it is not dangerous to use cell phones on a plane!
If it wear dangerous dont you think a bunch of Osama wanabes start wapping there ass of right before landing in NYC!

going back through some old posts?
cant understand what your saying.
BBBold on T-Mobile UK
shawnmccall9
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2002-07-28 00:37
Xenious You said it all, do they really work at altitude? Of course- the p800 can disable the radio function so you can still use the organizer functions he there is, in fact, a danger

This post was posted from a R520

cykoman
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-07-28 00:39
Decoy7:

I agree with your previous post that airlines should state clearly their policy about cell phone usage in the planes. I am a frequent BA flyer and I am become quite spoilt by their leniency towards cells phone usage. Coz most of the time I have very little time to catch my connecting flight from Heathrow to Chicago and the only time I can call my parents back home and let them know I have borded is when I get on the plane. I turn it off right after ofcourse.
This May I travelled by Turkish Airlines and after getting on the plane I decided to make a quick call as soon as this attendand saw me take out my phone she stormed up to me and demanded that put it away. Mind you... the engine wasnt even runnin. When i told her i'll only take a minute she started going hysterical and acted as if I was some illiterate and I should have been born with Turkish Airlines rules and regualtion in my mind. I quickly put it away to avoid a scene. But I swear to God I felt like smacking that bitch across the face. Never flying TA again ..
Froddan
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-07-28 01:45
Hey, folks!!!!! Wake up!!!!!

Which part of this, is it that you don't understand?

DO NOT USE YOUR CELL PHONE IN AN AIRCRAFT !!!!!

There are people here working in this line of jobs, pilots, engineers and so on.
Haven't you read their posts?

I'm in this line of job too, I don't pretend to know all about the topic, but I know for a fact that it can cause failure in the electronics of the aircraft.
Are you ready to take that risk???

I was up in a small aircraft, with technical failure. You're not that tough when you're up there, knowing that you might crash.
Think about that, the next time.

Btw, we belly landed with no bigger injuries...

Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-28 01:49
hmm so you are saying that if a Osama wanabe wants to do some terror all he need to do is to have 10 of his friend on the plane sending sms to themself! And tata you got yourself a 11 september 2?
Froddan
P900
PM
Posted: 2002-07-28 01:54
Depending on a lot of circumstances, type of cell phone, your seating, type of aircraft, type of electronics used in the aircraft...

But, yes, it COULD happen.
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-28 02:01
Okay well maybe i shoud tips 60 minnutes abouth this!
nice topic: Talibans new weapon GSM PHONES!
boysaint
T68i mineral
PM
Posted: 2002-07-28 04:05
so what are you all going to do now....?
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2002-07-28 04:29
im going to be a nice person and have my phone off!
When im on a plane
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi