Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 185186187 ... 369370371  Next
Author Sony Xperia Z1
drsoran2
K850 Green
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 13:25
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I have a Sharp panel. Wasn't the Sharp panel the good one with the XZ? Now it is the bad one?!

From what I've read is, that most people so far have the Sharp panel.

Maybe it also depends on the device model number, the color or the production week?

Mine is: C6903, white and 13W36 - so pretty new. It came with .518 firmware preinstalled.

There were two things of concern for me before I bought the Z1: The camera (was afraid of blur or defects) and the screen.

My camera seems to be a pretty good one and flawless which is great and most important to me!

However, my screen is a Sharp panel and colors look dull and cold. They lack vibrancy. The viewing angles are also not that great (straight on they are fine, but colors become washed out from the sides).

I'm not so much concerned about the viewing angles because I like my privacy.

But I do hope that Sony can somehow fix the colors and white balance (maybe include the white balance setting like with the XZ) with future updates. I know it's possible, because with my XZ, the blacks became deeper and the colors more colorful and richer with firmware updates. With the latest firmware, my XZ screen was a lot better than in the beginning.

On a side note: 35000 points in Antutu (no overclocking!), 21800 in Quadrant, 2650 in Browsermark and 675ms in Sunspider. 3D Mark maxed out!

Best of all: My phone doesn't get as hot as the XZ and does hardly lag.
luwi
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 14:35

On 2013-09-29 12:15:20, randomuser wrote:
So finally we have concrete evidence on the screen lottery. JDI Panel has been reported on XDA by someone, he claims to have the better screen.

So from the info I've heard there are 3 vendors -

Sharp
JDI
AUO

Sharp is the worst, JDI is IPS, AUO is high quality AHVA.

Dacha was right after all.
[ This Message was edited by: randomuser on 2013-09-29 11:15 ]

@ramu,

How can we check which is which?
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 14:46
You can check only if you root the phone
luwi
Sony Xperia ZL
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 15:19

On 2013-09-29 14:46:45, randomuser wrote:
You can check only if you root the phone

Crap!

Im tired of this screen lottery of SONY! Why you did this Sony for your flagship phone?!?!
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-29 15:20
seems like all the UK phones C6903 phones are sharp panels (i haven't checked mine).

@randomuser - what were the models/production week of the other screens?

if mine is a sharp screen, and it's the "worst".. then geez. i can't imagine what the best one would be? haha. cause i'm very happy with mine. sure, viewing angles could be better, but it's not an issue for me. it's not like the screen turns negative or completely washes out at an angle. i can still see everything as shown in my pics, but lighter colors do shift. oh well.

since there is a screen lottery and there is a DIFFERENCE in each type of screen, that is quite a huge shame. They should definitely honor replacements if requested. muwaha. i will go to the sony store next month and compare.
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-09-29 14:22 ]
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
randomuser
Apple iPhone 5S
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 15:31
@moogoo

Not really. All countries get all panels. In the first batch 5 out of 10 Z1 have Sharp panel. In about 3 months time, all Z1 will come with IPS panels only. (As Dacha already mentioned )
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-29 15:33
but surely the production weeks were different? what were the production weeks of the non-sharp panels?

funny how every time i'm an early adopter, i get a lil screwed somehow. was one of the first to get a K700 (yes i know that was forever ago) and 6 months later they release a K750 which was a BEAST of a phone in comparison. then i was one of the first to get an X10.. and a bit later, they release the arc, which was a much better device. i got a much later XS and i couldn't be happier with it! and now.. Z1.. i wanted you so bad.. and i read all these things.. boo. it's not terrible by any means and i'm not going to return my Z1 or anything cause it really isn't bad. but i'm just disappointed that it's an issue AT ALL.

perhaps some future updates will allow white balance and gamma adjustments. that would be ideal.
[ This Message was edited by: moogoo on 2013-09-29 14:46 ]
moogoo
Nokia 5160 -> Nokia 8260 -> SE T68i -> SE K700i -> SE Z710 -> SE Xperia X10a -> Sony Xperia S -> Sony Xperia Z1 -> Sony Xperia XZ -> Sony Xperia XZ Premium -> Sony Xperia 1ii
Hatseflats
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 16:15
There will alway's be a succesor which will be better then the last. Some other brand will always do something slightly better or different which may (or may not) have your preference.

BUT.... : The Z1 is a BEAST, fast and a joy to use! Sure somethings can be improved or could have done right the first time but hey... if you are waiting for the perfect phone (or whatever) you will die waiting...

Just enjoy what you have!

Ps. scared the crap out of some lifeguards at the pool today. They told me i could not take pictures there (privacy or whatever) and I just acted that they had scared me and dropped my phone in the water... He came up and apologized for using the whistle etc... you should have seen his face
moogoo
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-29 16:20
@Hatseflats hah nice prank on the lifeguard. and i don't mean that Z1 isn't a joy to have or that i'm not happy. i surely am. Z1 is truly a beast! camera is fantastic and is getting better from what I can see. Everything about it is awesome. I'm just disappointed that Sony is letting itself get back into this drama of screen lottery when they managed to win back some support and respect with the Z Ultra.
moogoo
sponse
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 17:13
noo, android authority seem to have the bad screen ( !!
at IFA, he said the screen is awesome and there where no viewing angles problem, now with the unit hes got, the screen is not good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6wZ-4wYTyU
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 17:30
http://petapixel.com/2013/09/[....]s-ultra-wide-view-fine-detail/

Researchers at the University of California-San Diego are fine-tuning some new tiny camera technology that could dramatically boost the detail and field of view of smartphone cameras. Joseph Ford, a professor in the university’s Jacob School of Engineering, describes the system in a paper to be presented next week at the Optical Society of America‘s annual meeting.

According to Ford, his team will soon have the system — seen above next to a Canon 5D Mark III setup — refined to a camera assembly with 85-megapixel resolution, 120-degree field of view and f/2 aperture, all in a package about the size of a walnut.

sony should acquire this tech now the same way they did with quantum dots for their TVs since they are so obsessed with keeping their devices thin.
[ This Message was edited by: miromiromi on 2013-09-29 16:32 ]
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 17:39
@moogoo,

what I meant by no sharing button in Socialife is , you can't share facebook post/page of your friend. In facebook app, you have the option to `like', `comment' and `share' but in socialife, you only have `like' and `comment'.
[ This Message was edited by: MyP910 on 2013-09-29 16:40 ]
Jubei1
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 18:20
Have seen some Z1s on XDA with Sharp panel that have excellent viewing angles. I dont think its accurate that this brand or that brand will have the better screen. The same rumors were spread about Xperia Z but after a few months of sales, we saw great JDI panels and poor Sharp panels (back then everyone said JDI was crap)

northmonkey
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2013-09-29 19:19
Hi,

I'd like to ask about the 3x clear zoom, I've seen some people and websites say it's no better than digital zoom but some have said it's almost as good as optical zoom, so how good is it?
XperiaJunkie
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2013-09-29 19:29
Here are more photos taken in manual mode in 8MP using the new .534 firmware. ENJOY

Original

Original

Original

Original

Original

Original

Original

Original
I'm so happy 'cause today
I've found my friends ...
They're in my head
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi