Author SONY XPERIA Rumors 2014
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 06:05
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

On 2014-03-13 17:01:22, Aycaramba wrote:
My wishlist --

Display: 5.25" S-LCD 4, 1920x1080, X-Reality and Triluminos Tech, Corning Gorilla Glass 3

CPU & GPU: Snapdragon 805, Adreno 420, 3 GB RAM, 32/64 GB ROM

Camera: 24 MP, Bigger Sensor than the current 1/2.3 one, Xenon Flash, OIS, 4K Recording, Slow-Motion Recording in 1080p.

Misc: IP 68 Rating, Slimmer Bezels, microSD slot, Digital Noise Cancellation shit, Stereo speakers with enhanced Bass, 5 MP secondary camera,

# Three different series with the above mentioned flagship range specs: Standard Flagship - 5+", Compact - 4+", Ultra - 6+", but not exceeding 7".

# Maintaining the same specs across the three lines, with the exception of display resolution (1920x1080, 1280x720, 2560x1440 respectively), and battery.

# As someone mentioned earlier, the size of Ultra series should be reduced and make it a direct competitor to Samsung's Note series. While I give props to Samsung for coming up with the brilliant Note series, it doesn't give you even a tiny bit of premium feel. Sony can certainly make some existing Note users shift to its Ultra series, provided it can offer the same range of software tricks the Note series does.

# While Sony's move to IPS displays from the previous sub-par LCD displays is much welcome, switching to S-LCD which is currently employed in HTC flagship would be even better. The S-LCD in the HTC One is arguably the best display on a smartphone after all.

# It puzzles me to see Sony struggling with its camera capabilities on smartphones. While the camera on Z1 was touted to be the best on an Android phone, it was nowhere near those claims. Poor image processing algorithm is to blame, if I'm not wrong. I wish Sony comes off strongly with a ground-breaking camera which can rival the current top-dog, Lumia 1020.

# As much as Sony is keen on releasing two flagships per year, I don't think it's a good idea. Instead of the second flagship, Ultra series can take its place, just the way Samsung does.
[ This Message was edited by: Aycaramba on 2014-03-13 16:02 ]

I disagree. Making the Ultra smaller would defeat the purpose. It wouldn't be ULTRA anymore if it were the same size as everyone else's prissy phablets. Right now, it has sheer size as a distinguishing feature. Smartphones are continuing to get larger, and so the Ultra's size is going to be less and less of an issue as time goes by. Besides, the Xperia Z2 IS a direct competitor to the Note series. It's 5.2" display is not really that far from the Note 2's 5.5" display.

S-LCD is not better than Sony's IPS Triluminos panels. I'm pretty certain the S-LCD in the One IS an IPS panel, the only difference would be the substrate, e.g., a-Si, IGZO, LTPS, etc. Sony is already using LTPS in their new displays, which draws even less power than IGZO, so there's really no reason for them to switch screens. I've had the Z Ultra right next to the One. I didn't see anything about the One's screen that made me jealous. It's brighter, but that's a tradeoff that comes with the size difference. Let's at least wait for detailed reviews and measurements before we jump to conclusions.

About two flagships a year, you have to remember Sony is a Japanese manufacturer. The Japanese market, from what I understand, encourages two flagships per year. Besides, lots of manufacturers release revisions of hardware in different countries, all Sony is doing is making those revisions available to everyone. Anyway, Sony's mobile numbers are steadily getting better, so I say don't fix what isn't broken.
miromiromi
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 07:17
unfortunately, the ultra has already shrunk in the t2 ultra. it didn't sell and will probably not sell because the only thing it offers is the thinness and the big screen that accepts pencil input.

if only they incorporated the pressure-sensing display similar to what they have on some of their ereaders, the z ultra would've been more attractive.
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 07:22

On 2014-03-14 00:32:24, Muhammad-Oli wrote:
To be honest I think they haven't made a waterproof USB because USB ports are ugly. It would ruin the slick design of the Z series. I would rather have a flap that covers the port and keeps the design cohesive.

I was thinking the same... The 3.5 kack is rounded and looks cool but the mini-USB is definetly ugly to see on a device! The Z line is so sweet With their continous surface! That would ruin it
Wintermute
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 07:31
Not that I'm necessarily disputing it, but for the people who keep repeating "the Z Ultra didn't sell well," can we please have a link to some numbers? I see all these people who apparently have knowledge of the ZU's sales, yet I've never seen ANY numbers, speculative or otherwise.
HxH
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 07:58
HTC last year, use same display supplier as Sony, which are Sharp and JDI. Mainly differences is panel that both companies use on their devices plus something to do with software calibration, Sony goes for VA-type while HTC continue on IPS. (Unfortunately, 2014 on Sony theme is you can't beat them then join, they finally jump on IPS's bandwagon)

Super LCD is same marketing scheme as True HD IPS from LG or Super AMOLED from Samsung, that's all.

You should have been heard about HTC One under-whelm performance display on very very initial batch release but it never made into big story unlike what happen with Sony that more noticeable.

On Z Ultra's failure, it should be considering that happen with wide-variety factors
- Too big - Too expensive - Picky criticise lack of LED when pay it for premium
- Market is differences from the day of first Galaxy Note start to invade
- Pen input and command comparison to Note was blown out of water
- Lack of clear communication, I think this is biggest problem of all (look from Samsung did with Note series)
[ This Message was edited by: HxH on 2014-03-14 07:01 ]
SONY x Sexy x Sleek x Solid x Stunner x Stylish : Nozomi/Kagura with Love.
Xajel
Sony Xperia S
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 08:17

On 2014-03-13 22:19:52, amirprog wrote:
sony already made waterproofed usb port for the core, so naturally it should arrive to the whole Z series. i was expecting the Z2 to have it. they should make all the next Z devices with this feature and i wouldn't mind if they ditch the magnetic port for slicker design.

The Core does not have a waterproofed USB port, the core should be inside the smartband, and the smartband will actually works as a cover/flap for the Core making it water resist... I don't know if it could be submerged in water..
DexterMoser
Samsung Galaxy S 4
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 10:48

On 2014-03-14 02:17:04, u2jewel wrote:
http://magazine.kakaku.com/mag/pc/id=1541/
A review I was reading last night. I cannot remember other links, but fairly sure that this is not the first device to have coverless usb.

Thx, hard to find for me.
I'm jealous of these japanese only devices :/
Galaxy S4 (S600)
Looking forward to the Sony Xperia Z4 (or 5)
Feynman about Beauty
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 11:10
@Xajel
i read sony's site and seen no mention for covering the port. were did you read that? if true then as you said, the question is if it is possible to make usb port waterproof.

advantages for making usb port waterproof (if possible):
1. ease of use - when you think about a waterproof port you think about the average consumer. the average consumer don't see nicely spending another precious amount of money on a docking station. pretty important i'd say.
2. it's a strong statement and unique feature that is breakthrough that sony should lead and make the other manufacturers follow it like they do with waterproofing phone.
3. they can design the exposed port at the bottom like the lightning port of iphone and circle the port with a stripe that will make it look as cool as the headset jack. the docking port already hurts the design by itself.

about ultra, it was discussed many times here, for making it successful (not talking about marketing) they must:
1. make it as second flagship - meaning its got to have better specs then Z2.
2. some cool unique hardware and software features, like the note has. with or without s pen.
3. try to reduce its bezel to be more comfortable to operate and pocket friendly. the people i know who has note 3 carries it in their pants pocket.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-03-14 10:11 ]
MartinZ
T310
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-14 12:08
@Xajel

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_2w1IEM-I#t=5545 they say the Core has a waterproof micro-USB jack.
[ This Message was edited by: MartinZ on 2014-03-14 11:08 ]
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 12:37

On 2014-03-14 12:08:22, MartinZ wrote:
@Xajel

Here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7_2w1IEM-I#t=5545 they say the Core has a waterproof micro-USB jack.

great find
I'm still really interested in the smartband! I would love some good quality hands on/review of it!
amirprog
W800
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 16:15

On 2014-03-14 12:08:22, MartinZ wrote:
@Xajel

i watched the whole video after CES ended and i recall him saying "mechanical sealing", that is the reason why i said the port itself is waterproofed in the first place since sony's site and other sites only mention that the core is ip58 certified. no mention for it having to be inside the flap to be protected against water. it's also the reason i expected Z2 to have wp port.
[ This Message was edited by: amirprog on 2014-03-14 15:21 ]
u2jewel
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 18:33

On 2014-03-14 10:48:10, DexterMoser wrote:

On 2014-03-14 02:17:04, u2jewel wrote:
http://magazine.kakaku.com/mag/pc/id=1541/
A review I was reading last night. I cannot remember other links, but fairly sure that this is not the first device to have coverless usb.

Thx, hard to find for me.
I'm jealous of these japanese only devices :/

Locked bootloader and no Rom development are the drawbacks...
nodarsixar
Sony Xperia Z
PM, WWW
Posted: 2014-03-14 18:51
amazing spec ...................
http://umbrella333.blogspot.com/search/label/SONY
NO
Rockarel
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 20:29
Dear lord, do not click that link. It leads to Nodar Sixar's lair!
CrownedAkuma
Sony Xperia Z2
PM
Posted: 2014-03-14 20:43

On 2014-03-14 20:29:26, Rockarel wrote:
Dear lord, do not click that link. It leads to Nodar Sixar's lair!

Too.... Late...
I clicked.... It...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 183184185 ... 414415416  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic