Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > General > Is Sony Ericsson doomed?

Previous  123 ... 1718 192021  Next
Author Is Sony Ericsson doomed?
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-27 16:27
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
i realise we are talking about audio quality, though the conversation is tending to border on W910 generally not just the audio quality (and not just from my end - others have mentioned reliability and other issues) but yes despite some people don't want to believe it there are people whose "experience" of W910 audio quality is positive.

So what the W910 may not be the "best" in audio quality? It's not a shit music phone and people who think it is are getting themselves tied up in meaningless comparisons much like comparing a ford against a holden or a bmw against a audi.

Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-08-27 16:28

On 2008-08-27 16:12:44, Fanofmodi wrote:

On 2008-08-27 15:51:02, Brightspark wrote:
@max_wedge
"You make the mistake of reading some people's bad experience as being the ONLY experience a user has of the W910."

a thread asking about the w910 and others was recently created on M-R where someone said this:
"I am looking for excellent sound quality.I like w910's looks but my friends tell me that that's about the only thing that this phone has to offer."
http://forum2.mobile-review.c[....]thread.php?p=730127#post730127

well, that seems to pretty much sum up what virtually everyone are saying about the phone

They are not discussing about bad experience but only about audio quality which obviouly samsung is better

i'm well aware of that, thank you very much.
StevenC
W910 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 06:32

On 2008-08-27 15:51:25, MWEB wrote:
Well, without trying to sound like a broken record, our website has close on 50000 members, and we get the fewest complaints about Samsung reliability,

Probably they achieve higher reliability by closing eyes on improving the OS. I mean their software are kept as basic as possible. I have a D500, D600 and E900 at home and all of them are similar. The T9 input is no good and you can not even turn it off completely. Their processing power are very slow as well.

Besides I have a T610, K510 and W910 and tried some other and they all have new features between generations + noticeable improvement in all of them. You see the A200 is a new platform so it's acceptable that the first few models may be buggy.

I have no problem with the sound quality of my W910

islandprd
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 09:16

On 2008-08-27 15:51:25, MWEB wrote:
Well, without trying to sound like a broken record, our website has close on 50000 members, and we get the fewest complaints about Samsung reliability, that's a bigger test sample than your old man and your drinking buddies.
I am neutral towards SE TBH, they are not doomed nor are they flying high at this moment in time.

With due respect Sir, Not all 50000 members are heavy Samsung users or preferred Samsung

I have two Samsung sliders. One is having a speaker phone problem. Latest one is having a dead pixel.

Samsung UI and budled softwares are not so logical/friendly compare to SE or Nokia.

All brands have some pros and cons. No perfect brand/set.

On 2008-08-27 16:03:53, max_wedge wrote:
There's nothing like having something to bitch about that you have no direct experience of.

Agree. I often wonder why people like to bitch about a model that they dont have long term experience with.

Max, may I know which firmware are you using?

In all fairness, some W910 do have problem with buggy FW especially on memory heavy applications like media. The need of keep updating FW may pose problem for those who are not well informed which are plenty. This may drag down SE owns reputation.

I have one with latest FW here. So far so good. No buggy experience. Very nice set.

Btw, goes back to the topic:

Is Sony and Ericsson going to divorce soon?
http://forum2.mobile-review.com/showthread.php?t=78845

[ This Message was edited by: islandprd on 2008-08-29 08:37 ]
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 10:40
I like to know for people who used Samsung Phone and claim they are better build. Have you all used it for more than 12months?
yea g
C905 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-29 10:54
I agree in my house samsung is a no no. all of the samsung products we have owned broke almost as soon as it was out of the warranty, this never seems to happen with sony or panasonic
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-08-29 12:53
@islandprd, R1FA035. I've only experienced two bugs, media player isn't updating the video list (add videos to the video folder, then update the media player but still not in the list. You can only play the videos via file manager) and the other bug occasionally the activity menu stops working, but only if the media player has been used for hlaf an hour or more (and not every time only sometimes). I have to restart the phone to get the activity menu back.

I haven't had a single restart or lock up however.

MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 13:56

On 2008-08-29 10:40:04, c96sthl wrote:
I like to know for people who used Samsung Phone and claim they are better build. Have you all used it for more than 12months?

about 5 years in some cases, to judge build quality, put a samsung in one hand, lets say a G600 at 99 quid, put a w580 in the other hand and weep at the difference in quality and performance.
My good pal Island Paradise, you just have the magic touch when it comes to phones mate, do you have anything that works
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:09
@Mweb

I was wondering the same myself as Island always seems able to get a lemon to some degree or another.

@all

Unfortunately we can't have polls on this Forum but seeing as the question of Sony's dissatisfaction with Ericsson has risen it's ugly head once again.

Just how many of the users here would go with Ericsson and how many with Sony if they were to split. Actually how many here have actually owned an Ericsson handset is also an important question as if you haven't you have nothing to compare.

I know i would love to see Ericsson handsets once more in the market place and also know i am far from being alone on this to. Well at least most of us that were lucky enough to of used Ericsson handsets in the past and whist they may not of been the prettiest they were truly great quality and packed with the latest spec's. I'll take performance over looks every time.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-08-29 13:45 ]
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:35
Ericsson phones were certainly vastly superior to the Sony handsets available before the JV. They set the standard in technology terms, well ahead of Nokia at the time. Sony's offerings were quite poor in comparison, IMO - although I was a fan of Sony gear generally, I never looked twice at their phones.

The marriage of the two should have been perfect, but I'm not convinced it's ever really matched what Ericsson once had on its own. The tech has really moved on very little from the Ericsson days, it feels as if the same design team have just been put on auto-pilot, with little to drive them anymore. The only real innovation of SE is to bring the pointless brandnames on board - this idea that a "Cybershot" phone is in any way related to a real Sony camera, or that one music playing mobile is better than another because it says "Walkman" on it. I hate to say it, but if you want to look at how product success in one market can be leveraged in the phone business, just look at the Iphone - that's how to do it, and it takes a lot more than simply lifting a label from one product and sticking it on some otherwise ordinary phone.
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:39
iPhone is apple's first phone. They don't have much experience with phones so that phone lacks many key features while keeping others... That's not smart move imho.
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
islandprd
K750
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:41
@Max
Update it to R1CA039. Much stable. You'll be happier. I think it suffers from Memory Paging problem.

@MWEB

I do have some working unit, thank you very much Sir

The N95 hardware is not dead yet and the W910 is still going nicely. Else if everything else fails, the old hammer still work flawlessly

My low end Samsung E250 has a dead pixel. One! and it is right on the face! Under a sucky Samsung service policy here, I am not eligible to get a replacement The consolation it is cheap.

@Dogmann

Yeah, I wonder too

Unlike some, I dont prejudice against Sony, or Ericsson. I will buy both provided they suit my liking

[ This Message was edited by: islandprd on 2008-08-29 13:45 ]
strizlow800
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 14:43

On 2008-08-29 14:41:17, islandprd wrote:
@Max
Update it to R1CA039. Much stable. You'll be happier. I think it suffers from Memory Paging problem.

Latest firmware should be the best...
Sony Ericsson software/hardware support!

Phone Flashing Tutorial (DB2020 CID49/51/52)
anonymuser
Apple iPhone 4S
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 15:28

On 2008-08-29 14:39:36, strizlow800 wrote:
iPhone is apple's first phone. They don't have much experience with phones so that phone lacks many key features while keeping others... That's not smart move imho.

Well that "not smart move" seems to be paying well for them so far. The point is, you can't accuse the Iphone of being an ordinary phone with an Ipod sticker attached to it, which is all that SE have done with 99% of their "Cybershot" and "Walkman" phones. The first Walkman phone literally was just a K750 in white and orange colours, how pathetic was that?

Apple tried the same approach with the ROKR, it was a dismal failure and they learnt from it. The Iphone is an Ipod, but it's actually much more than just that brand, it's something iconic and innovative and new in itself. SE haven't done anything iconic or new in years, if indeed ever, they just apply their brands as if that makes a thing worthwhile in itself.
Brightspark
S500 Green
PM
Posted: 2008-08-29 17:22

On 2008-08-29 10:40:04, c96sthl wrote:

my samsung e720 is just over 3 years old and my u600 is just over 1 year old, and neither of them have ever given me the slightest problem. whereas i have confidence in the samsung products and their longitivity, the same confidence cant be applied to SE products. they have a solid feel to them whatever they are made of(plastic, metal, whatever) - SEs never do.

[ This Message was edited by: Brightspark on 2008-08-29 16:23 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 1718 192021  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic