Esato

Forum > Regional > Asia Pacific > Australians where are you?

Previous  123 ... 141516 ... 424344  Next
Author Australians where are you?
khaosspawn
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-01-25 11:46
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Late to the party, but another aussie on board (pun not intended).
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-01-25 19:49
welcome on bord matey! Im not aussie myself but im going to live there for a wile in the future.

Life is all about Colombia!!
COLOMBIA
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-02-06 07:31
from today's Herald Sun newspaper:

Melbourne simply the best city
AAP
06feb04

MELBOURNE has retained its position as the best city in the world to call home.

Often derided as Bleak City by Sydneysiders, Melbourne topped a survey of 130 cities, narrowly beating out the other four Australian capitals surveyed - because its weather rated the best.

Sydney lost ground because its crime rate was rated on a par with New York and London.

The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU) survey ranked Melbourne, Vancouver and Vienna as the best cities for expatriates to live, with Perth fourth and Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney equal sixth.

Geneva was ranked fifth, while Papua New Guinea's capital Port Moresby kept the title it took in the last survey in October 2002 as the worst.

"Melbourne pretty much top scored in everything," said survey co-editor Jon Copestake.

"But the difference between all the Australian cities is minimal. One thing Sydney had different to the other cities was a higher crime rate, and it's climate. It's level of humidity was worse than Melbourne's."

The London-based EIU assessed the level of hardship for expatriates in the 130 cities, using 12 factors including housing, education, recreational activities, health, climate and terrorism.

Cities were rated one to five in the 12 categories, with one meaning there was no hardship and five indicating extreme hardship.

Melbourne received the perfect one in each category, including its unpredictable weather, to give it an overall score of one.

The other Australian cities were all given a two for climate, while Adelaide also received two for housing, Brisbane and Perth scored two for transport and Sydney for its crime. Port Moresby received five for crime and an overall score of 80.

While Perth was given an overall mark of 1.1, Adelaide, Brisbane and Sydney scored 1.2.

The heightened terrorist threat only had a minimal impact on western cities, even those in the United States, largely because of newly developed security measures.

The highest ranked US city was Honolulu in 19th on eight points, while New York was 51st with 16 and Washington was the lowest of 16 American cities in the survey at 57th, mainly due to a higher risk of terrorism giving it an overall score of 19.

London was equal 45th, along with Los Angeles, Madrid and San Francisco.

Kuwait fell the most places, dropping from 87 to 97 because of the war in neighbouring Iraq, while Harare suffered the greatest actual drop in living standards as a result of ongoing unrest and slid eight places to 118.

The Iraqi capital Baghdad was not included in the survey.

Melbourne best city in world
06feb04

Melbourne has been ranked by the Economist Intelligence Unit the best city in the world for expatriates to live in. Here's the top 15 and selected others:

1– Melbourne
1– Vancouver
1– Vienna
4- Perth
5- Geneva
6– Adelaide
6– Brisbane
6– Copenhagen
6– Montreal
6– Oslo
6– Sydney
6– Zurich
13– Helsinki
13– Stockholm
13– Toronto

Others:
19– Auckland
19– Honolulu
28– Paris
45– London
51– Dublin
51– New York
57– Washington
64– Athens
75– Beijing
130 Port Moresby

[ This Message was edited by: gelfen on 2004-02-06 06:32 ]
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-06 07:58
Thats great but this is where I get torn in two. Being Melbourne born and mostly bred but having lived in Sydney for quite a time I can see both sides of the argument

Actually we are thinking of moving back to Melbourne when we get back to Oz permanantly because Sydney really is way expensive these days for houses etc
jbngar
T610
PM
Posted: 2004-02-09 04:03
G'day yall

I'm from Canberra - I've got a t-mobile T610 (or two) from the US. Do you guys know of anyone in Canberra who either does firmware upgrades or has a terminator dongle?

Cheers
John G
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-02-09 07:05
@masseur: actually, housing prices all over have been skyrocketing (an average 70% increase over the past five years, with average income only increasing by ~26%) but sydney is definitely the worst. i've recently purchased a block in melbourne's north, and in the six months i was looking the price rose almost $20k for equivalent sized blocks. if you're looking for a bargain then tassie is still pretty good, but you really need a guaranteed stable job to make it work because employment opportunities are much less than on the mainland.

in IT you're pretty much locked in to sydney or melbourne (or possibly bris-vegas, maybe adelaide, which are a bit cheaper - but again you need to be going to a job rather than looking for one), but sydney is just too expensive. it's not just land/housing, but the overall cost of living is appreciably more than melbourne.

anyway, when are you thinking of coming back?

[ This Message was edited by: gelfen on 2004-02-12 22:39 ]
ameen
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2004-02-11 17:34
Hello guys !

I'm moving to Melbourne on 22nd Feb. A week before my RMIT class begin. I'm just wondering where in Melbourne could i find a T630 and what is the selling
prices there ?.

I'm just comparing the price and decide should i buy it here in Malaysia or until i arrive in Melbourne.

thanks
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-02-12 00:17
you can try this shop in Melbourne's CBD. it's literally one block from RMIT

http://www.ow.com.au/default.cfm?page=http://www.ow.com.au/products/sony_ericsson_main.htm

they offer their phones outright: unlocked/sim-free/non-contract. then you can buy a prepaid sim from whoever you want (telstra, optus, voda, but not virgin - no wap/gprs service) or a vodafone no-plans sim.

t630 - AU$690, sim card - approx. AU$30

i don't know any provider plan prices yet since anyone who has it only got it in stock yesterday. my guess is between $40 and $60, possibly more, per month for 24 months.

[ This Message was edited by: gelfen on 2004-02-11 23:20 ]
d-_-b
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2004-02-12 02:15
Quote:

On 2004-01-20 04:18:40, gelfen wrote:
make sure you come to melbourne - much better than sydney, and cheaper too (not to mention the spiders are less dangerous).

i really hate melbournes that think they are all that and that melbourne is better then sydney!!!! there no f***ing way its better ... in sydney we are not stupid enough to turn right from the left lane ... as well as we dont go out with our cussons!!! and melbourn dosnt not have the best weather!!!! its cold like 10mnths a yr

btw...i finnaly got my p900 .. IN SYDNEY!!!!

[ This Message was edited by: d-_-b on 2004-02-12 01:17 ]
gelfen
Z600
PM
Posted: 2004-02-12 04:23
and i really hate sydney-siders who take their city far too seriously. sheesh! the sydney-melbourne thing is a friendly rivalry - not a blood feud. however, i do want to address your points so....

quote - in sydney we are not stupid enough to turn right from the left lane ..
well, that's only in the cbd and only because of the trams. you might notice that pretty much every other city with a regular tram service has similar road rules - because if they didn't you wouldn't have much of a car left.

quote - as well as we dont go out with our cussons!!!
well why should it matter if we sleep with soap? at least it's clean and smells nice. however, i suspect you meant cousins so i should point out that T-A-S-M-A-N-I-A is that little island off the south-east coast of mainland Australia with the small population, really cold weather, and girls who can run really fast (or at least faster than their brothers). apart from that, it is technically legal - and standard royal behaviour - for cousins to marry.

quote - and melbourn dosnt not have the best weather!!!! its cold like 10mnths a yr
you obviously missed my post above (on this page) where melbourne was again named the world's best/most-liveable city, in part due to it's better weather compared with the other aussie capitals. besides, melbourne is only seriously cold, by Australian standards, for about two months of the year if that. melbourne weather may not be consistent day-to-day, or even hour-to-hour, but we don't get the extremes of our northern neighbours. nearly every year sydney has (a) a flood, and (b) bushfires. melbourne doesn't have those issues so often.

quote - btw...i finnaly got my p900 .. IN SYDNEY!!!!
and so could i - in melbourne - if i really wanted one. i could go here, here, or even here - all of which would take me a lot less time to do than in sydney because at least in melbourne our public transport system actually works.

so dude - relax. accept your city for what it is, and be happy with it. if you're not happy, then move. you're never going to convince me, and i doubt i'll convince you since you seem so irrational about this - but if you want to take the argument further then at least bring something real to the table rather than juvenille emotion and abuse. but i'll stand by this 'til the cows come home:

melbourne has better weather
it costs less to live here
the spiders are less dangerous (sydney funnel web, the most venomous in the country, is also one of the few spiders in the world to actually attack without provocation rather than in self-defence)

i'm not looking for a fight with this. i'm as partisan as the next person when it comes to my home town. it just helps to have the weight of international opinion on my side.

EDIT - the url's

[ This Message was edited by: gelfen on 2004-02-12 03:25 ]
kasei
W600 red
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-12 04:30
Australia has a beauty fauna, any other place in the earth has it

This message was posted from a T200

d-_-b
M600 white
PM
Posted: 2004-02-12 10:21
look i was just shiting to u about the whole melbourne thing ... i just said what i said cause u compaired sydney to melbourne as being the worst city!!! ... i am proud of my city but u dont see me posting in a irelavent forum saying my city is the best ....!!!
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-12 10:34
Quote:

On 2004-02-09 07:05:11, gelfen wrote:
snip...
in IT you're pretty much locked in to sydney or melbourne (or possibly bris-vegas, maybe adelaide, which are a bitcheaper - but again you need to be going to a job rather than [/i]looking[/i] for one), but sydney is just too expensive. it's not just land/housing, but the overall cost of living is appreciably more than melbourne.

anyway, when are you thinking of coming back?

Sorry, I missed this. Actually Canberra is great for government IT work though I'd hate to live there and our choice would def be brissy. We'll see. I guess we'll be back when this very lucrative contract I am on finishes but its not looking like this year

Quote:

On 2004-02-12 10:21:10, d-_-b wrote:
look i was just shiting to u about the whole melbourne thing ... i just said what i said cause u compaired sydney to melbourne as being the worst city!!! ... i am proud of my city but u dont see me posting in a irelavent forum saying my city is the best ....!!!

this is quite a relevant thread for such discussion IMHO but like gelfen said its just friendly rivalry and always has been. As I said before I am melbourne born but lived in Sydney quite a bit so I see both sides!
Bjerkebanen
T65 blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2004-02-12 11:13
okay okay. Im mving to Australia in about 18 days or so So were do i go Sydney or Melbourne? This spider in Sydney whoo atacks u for no reason. Does that happend all the time? But when it all comes to all i guess what i really like to know is: What is the most friendly city?

Life is all about Colombia!!
COLOMBIA
masseur
P910
PM
Posted: 2004-02-12 11:16
if you are not restricted by work or whatever then try them both out yourself and decide. As you can see here you will not get a straight answer from people of either city
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 141516 ... 424344  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic