Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > apple iphone unveiled!

Previous  123 ... 141516 171819  Next
Author apple iphone unveiled!
pkimshk
P990
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 17:53
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Remember iphone is not a true smart phone ....

No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.
No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
No expandable memory.
No removable battery.
No Exchange or Office support.
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:04
Whats this about no expandable memory? If the phone had 512MB of inbuilt space, and expandable memory, there's no way majority would buy 8GB cards.
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:05
Show me any definition of the term "smart phone" that says to be classed as one it has to have those features...

According to wikipedia, "A smartphone or sphone is any electronic handheld device that integrates the functionality of a mobile phone, personal digital assistant (PDA) or other information appliance."

That is exactly what the iPhone does, and then some.
Stef
W960
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:07
Then is it a Smartphone, if we must believe WikiPedia!
This message was posted with a Nokia N95.
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:13
Ok, if you don't like wikipedia's definition, here's some more:

"A generic name for voice centric mobile phones with information capability"

"A large-screen, data-centric, handheld device designed to offer complete phone functions whilst simultaneously functioning as a personal digital assistant (PDA)."

"The term "smartphone" generically refers to a handheld device that combines mobile phone capability with advance data functionality."

iPhone still complies...!

S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:18
Quote:

On 2007-01-10 17:37:26, JoolsG4 wrote:
I don't think Apple has ever made anything revolutionary in the hrdware arena.

So, name another product with a MultiTouch screen (patented by Apple) used in the iPhone.

There's over 200 Apple patented technologies in the iPhone.

Name another product with a Scroll Wheel (patented by Apple and never bettered by anyone else).

Apple invented Firewire - the connection used by virtually every digital camcorder out there.

They may not invent everything they use in their products. But they improve them and refine them until they're perfected, and pioneer the use of these technologies.

Dude, 200 patents don't mean a squat, you'd be surprised if you knew what little things can be patented. Also most patents here concern the UI.

Firewire is dead, even Apple stopped using it - can't be found in new Apple computers.

The scrolling used in the iPhone is similar to the scrolling used in mp3-players such as Meuzu M6, lots of Creatice players etc... Same thing different implementation.

Also the iPhone's OS X is compiled from the same source as MAC OS X, if you knew even a little about Linux then you would know that you have a kernel and that one can be compiled in many different ways giving you two totaly different OS versions runing the same core. In theory all linux versions can run the same apps - if recompiled to fit the specific krenel.

OS X is a linux version that has been crippled to not be able to run non Apple certified apps. What does this mean? You can't recompile your own apps and install them. <-- This is how I understand Mr Jobs statement about 3rd party apps.
Widgets are cool but in no way can they replace ordinary apps.

Now as I said before I won't talk crap about the UI it is pretty good and have potential. I bet we will soon see a nice Office suite compiled for this phone, b/c as I said in theory all linux apps can be recompiled for other kernels.
jack00
T650 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:25
if you tell someone, who uses firewire to save videos from is camcorder to his pc, that firewire is dead - he would imediatly jump out the next window
...firewire is the only way to save a video in high quality on the pc
...those harddisc cams and dvd cams, are bs...
S4k1s
Sony Xperia Z5
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:32
But it is dead :]
EastCoastStar
S700
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:34
Quote:

On 2007-01-10 17:53:07, pkimshk wrote:
Remember iphone is not a true smart phone ....

No 3G. We know you know, but still, it hurts man.
No over the air iTunes Store downloads or WiFi syncing to your host machine.
No expandable memory.
No removable battery.
No Exchange or Office support.

smartphones dont have to have 3G... (and aparently according to the definitions, any of the other stuff you mentioned). but it doesnt have office support becuase its not a Windows phone, its an Apple phone. there is a difference between a Smartphone and a Windows Smart phone.

I cant believe it doesnt have expandible memory... maybe thats becuase the whole song sharing thing though... and no removable battery is stupid too... but then again ipods dont have a removable battery...
s40convert
P910
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 18:42
Quote:

On 2007-01-10 18:18:54, S4k1s wrote:
Firewire is dead, even Apple stopped using it - can't be found in new Apple computers.

???

Every Mac on sale today has it...
shug
T610
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 19:00
Whatever wikapedia says one of the cornerstones of a smartphone is the ability to customise its functionality with 3rd party apps. This will work fine with Itunes etc. (for those that actually buy their mp3s) it looks good (before you start covering the screen with your oily fingers) but it does nothing that my S60 doesn't and its missing a whole battery of the funtions that I have just now. To say its 5 years ahead is not even laughable its just stupid.
apolloa
G900 Brown
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 19:32
As far as I'm concerend a Smart Phone is one where I can install programmes and apps on it, not java ones either.
zolo
W810 white
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 20:15
I would never call the iphone a smart phone. . . A true smart phone would be any of the nokia s60 phones or any of the SE's P & M series which allows the user to install 3rd party apps which inturn increases the productivity of the phone in terms of functionality. . Always remember the possibilities are more on such phones . . . Tell me one thing that these cannot do when compared to the iphone. . . . All the hype behind this thing is coz of its label "APPLE" nothing else. . . . As i said previously only the user interface can be called something innovative (a thing to learn for other manufacturersfor) as for the rest of its features we have seen more than that. . . .
sleby
K800 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 20:39
my contract runs out by the end of 2009 and i hope till then iphone will gain 3G/hsdpa and better camera.. till then my k800 will do the job just fine. epecialy because i take photos a lot!
and as many others, i can hardly wait to see what SE will produce to compete with iphone!
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-01-10 21:16
Quote:

On 2007-01-10 18:18:54, S4k1s wrote:

You really are showing your ignorance here, or maybe you are blind? You should try reading the specs on Apple's site. EVERY Mac has either Firewire 400 or Firewire 800, from the Mac mini, through the MacBooks and iMacs up to the Mac Pros. 95% of digital video cameras also have Firewire, from consumer level to pro level. It is a long way from dead.

Quote:

Also the iPhone's OS X is compiled from the same source as MAC OS X, if you knew even a little about Linux then you would know that you have a kernel blah...blah

If you knew even a little about Mac OS X you would know it is UNIX-based - not Linux. Please check your facts before posting such rubbish.

Quote:

OS X is a linux version that has been crippled to not be able to run non Apple certified apps. What does this mean? You can't recompile your own apps and install them.

OSX is still not Linux...

Quote:

blah...blah... as I said in theory all linux apps can be recompiled for other kernels.

Still not Linux...
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 141516 171819  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic