Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > P1i Green Tint on Photos - FIXED by firmware????

Previous  123 ... 131415 161718  Next
Author P1i Green Tint on Photos - FIXED by firmware????
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-10 21:40
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
hmm, well i think all they may have done is update the firmware, because when i spoke with o2 they said they wont be changing the camera module they will send a new handset.

I told them i cant be without a handset since the p1 is my only one and the guy on the other end then says try the update, if it doesnt work then we can only exchange handsets.

I asked about taking it to a sony service center he said to me they probably wont do anything (never gave a reason mind you)

I have taken a few pictures of monotone white surfaces and the green tint seems to have gone ---edit--- ok once i got the pictures on the pc i did notice a tint on some of the pictures, but no where near to what it was before.

So i guess green tint not gone, but without doubt reduced...i'll update with some pics

So despite the green tint still being visible it is MUCH better on my handset, i will try again in the morning with natural light rather than the lamp i have at the moment see what happens.

But as Maisie said the green tint does seem to vary in accordance to certain conditions. I will have to test this over a few days and see what happens.

[ This Message was edited by: 5nak3 on 2008-01-10 20:51 ]

[ This Message was edited by: 5nak3 on 2008-01-10 20:52 ]
chlee
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-11 10:13
WTF, so not a single one of you guys can confirm it can be fixed by repair except for dagrim1?! One moment the other says there is no green tint after repair and the other moment you say there is?! WTF.

Well I have just sent mine for repair for 3 days, I will give you a definite answer whether the freaking repair can solve the green tint problem! All I freaking care now is pray not a single scratch will land my new phone during repair!!

[edit]anyway to the above, it is obvious the green tint is still there in the photo, and may proof after 14 long pages thread, the green tint cannot be solved 100% or even 90% by firmware. Dagrim1 may be right.
Anyway to 5nak3 I already advise you to send in for a new replacement, because the latter batch of P1i 'has no' green tint.

[ This Message was edited by: chlee on 2008-01-11 09:20 ]
nickolaas
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-12 00:24
I can confirm i have the same issue with my P1i (first i thought i had not - than i shot these). But also i have to admit that my Samsung 203B flat screen (which is not true colour) amplifies the problem a lot. When i put this pic on a Sony Bravia LCD tv and a Sanyo beamer it still had the haze, but was watchable. The bright red and green areas as seen on the Samsung 203B (16bit colour or so) is really appalling - than again pics taken with other cameras are fine (though still not 24bit print quality of course). So let that fact that 16bit monitors might amplify the problem (can anyone confirm?) not keep SE from working on a suitable solution.

[ This Message was edited by: nickolaas on 2008-01-11 23:30 ]

[ This Message was edited by: nickolaas on 2008-01-12 01:12 ]
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-12 01:32
This is even present in the w960 right? Has anyone at SE officially recognised this issue? Someone on here said when the P1 came out that they would sort it later on a firmware update as it wasnt high priority back then.
chlee
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-12 18:16
WTF now not only we have issue with the green tint, but also PINK TINT! (in the middle)
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-12 19:14
OK upon further testing with mine...although i dont have the pictures as i formatted the memory stick on my phone the green tint after i updated the firmware changes dramatically according to the lighting.

I for one on my phones screen cannot see the green tint as vividly if at all as i could before the firmware, the problem comes when i try to upload the picture to the pc. Being of a better quality my PC screen makes finding the green tint easier.

However when i was out and about yesturday i took a few photos and with natural light the tint was not evident in most shots and the one where it was evident it was slight.

When i took the above pictures i posted, i was in my room using a lamp which has a bulb producing a yellowish glow. I feel this does affect the issue.

Additionally I would like to point out that the pictures we take to find the green tint i would say 8 out of 10 times are of a constant or single colour. If you take a variety of colours then the tint is hardly visible.

Here are some pics i took just now, all of the pictures taken in the same room with the exact same lighting from different positions all i did was resize them to upload them to esato and i'll be honest i found it hard to spot any glaring green tint.

The pictures of Homer and the Pink book i took three of them with varying EV levels of +2.0, 0 and -2.0 as you can see that also impacts the photos colours more specifically however on my older firmware it made a huge difference on the green tint. Although the thing is by increasing the EV you over expose the picture, so details are lost.

In all honest i dont think SE's treatment of the situation is very good. I've never owned an SE before the P1, well except for my brief 2 month stint with a t300 way back when. But i think taking picture after picture of white walls and light coloured woods is no good. I think if everyone made an effort to go and take real life shots then we can get a better indication of the problem which does exist.
I'm not defending the green tint, far from it i still think a recall should be in place and that SE should make an effort to fix the situation rather than relying on customers to take the initiative.

[ This Message was edited by: 5nak3 on 2008-01-12 18:23 ]
xib111
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-12 19:48
Thanks for the pics, I think the green tint is most evident in darker or underexposed pics and clearly seen when the pics includes finished wood (e.g flooring) or grass.
5nak3
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-12 20:10
Yeh i'll agree with you on the wood bit, as for grass i might test out that theory tomorrow see what i make of it.

oh and yes the underexposure makes a huge difference, in fact if i get an underexposed noisy picture later the noise particles take a greenish colour causing the green tint.

[ This Message was edited by: 5nak3 on 2008-01-12 19:12 ]
Ganbayar
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-13 09:07
Is there new firmware?
What's new in new firmware?
AnHiMiLaToR
K850 Blue
PM
Posted: 2008-01-13 13:59
5nak3, on your pictures there's green tint. It's very small but it's true.
yeah G
nickolaas
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2008-01-13 17:13

On 2008-01-12 20:10:47, 5nak3 wrote:
Yeh i'll agree with you on the wood bit, as for grass i might test out that theory tomorrow see what i make of it.

oh and yes the underexposure makes a huge difference, in fact if i get an underexposed noisy picture later the noise particles take a greenish colour causing the green tint.

[ This Message was edited by: 5nak3 on 2008-01-12 19:12 ]

Actually i don't agree with you on your remark of the wood bit (and the one you made before on my "light coloured woods"). I walked into the park without a proper camera, so the snapshot cam in the smartphone was the only one i had on me. The idea behind a phone cam should be "good enough". I am really annoyed still that my current P1i really screwed up my photo (knowing that my former K800i, K750 and even T610 would have done a better job colour wise - as possibly any other brand comparable phone currently on the market). I agree it's a smartphone, not a cybershot phone so the camera is not a primary aspect (sacrificing quality for size makes sense). But the quality of the camera seems bad enough under some circumstances to be regarded sub standard compared to what u should be able to expect from todays technology.

In all fairness i must admit that CXC 162037 R9H004 is my current firmware, since that's the latest released here to date (they're slow ..) - i am not going to risk my warranty installing a different zone. Speaking of warranty, when i contacted SE the day i took these pics, they told me they never heard of the problem, when i informed about their policy on the issue.

[ This Message was edited by: nickolaas on 2008-01-13 17:36 ]
chlee
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-14 03:57
Hi, they say my phone is ready for collection, WTF, it is only 1 working day, since I sent in for repair. Anyway they only have automated customer hotline, I have got a feeling they just reinstall the freaking firmware. That's all.

Can you imagine they just took 2 hours to repair the phone and they reply it is ready for collection, **** I have the feeling they can't do anything and the green tint will still be there. **** I will go there in a moment and be back with some photos for you guys.
chlee
P1
PM
Posted: 2008-01-14 09:28
F***. As expected they just updated the firmware without changing the camera module. Bad service and lazy bunch. What's more they tamper with the screen protector and I have to use a new one.
Now my SE manager crash and need to update the firmware again.
pt020
W800
PM
Posted: 2008-01-14 09:54
hi all ...got this problem too ... i am really disappoited from my P1i ... first the music player is 2 steps down on my old W800i and now the camera makes green pictures ...i think they should recall all the phones and give us new ones!!! if not this will be also my last Sony Ericsson ...
made a picture of a white A4 in low light ...you can see clear the green on the right and the magenta in the middle

[ This Message was edited by: pt020 on 2008-01-14 08:56 ]
Muhammad-Oli
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2008-01-14 10:05

On 2008-01-14 09:54:34, pt020 wrote:
...i think they should recall all the phones and give us new ones!!! if not this will be also my last Sony Ericsson ...

If SE recalled all P1s they would have a massive cost on their hands, and this for something very minor as the images in most cases are still ok even with the tint. For example, the first people in this thread didn't even notice until they were told about it. So SE really shouldn't bother. They could fix it up in the P1s they are manufacturing currently though.

It really is nothing to leave SE over. The problem affects just one model in the range and most other cameras are fine in terms of quality per mega pixel (for a mobile phone). Leaving SE over such a small problem would be silly. It would be like having an N95 which is apparently brilliant, but never buying a Nokia again because the N95 has bad battery life.

If camera quality is so dear to you, and you want no green tint, then I suggest you buy a dedicated digital camera
This message was posted in the mail
2008, 2009, 2010 Best Australasian Member.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 131415 161718  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic