Esato

Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Windows Mobile > Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion

Previous  123 ... 118119120 ... 504505506  Next
Author Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1 discussion
@ftyk
S700
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 12:13
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
@bobafett,
so the phenomenal success of sony ericsson is all thanks to the swedes & the japs have nothing to do with it?
i don't know much of the sony - ericsson merger but if ericsson was doing so good by itself why tie up with sony?
what i had heard was that ericsson was a sinking ship that sony had to rescue?
as much as you are an ericsson fan, i am of sony. [addsig]
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 14:37
@imranbashir
You oversimplify a phone design process. It is far more complex than writing some specs then ordering someone to make it. You seem to be insinuating that Sony doesn't know how to make electronic devices . Didn't SE build and design the first high-end smartphone...the p800? And the CliE's before that? A hallmark of Sony design is to pack a ton of features into a very small and sexy form-factor. HTC can't even do that!!!

Dell doesn't make hard drives. Lenovo doesn't make TFT screens. Apple doesn't make the MultiTouch screen of the iPhone. Outsourcing different aspects of a product doesn't mean the product is not made by SE. Ultimately, the owner of the patents and intellectual property is the designer of the product.

@ftyk
Sex appeal is just a figure of speech denoting the attractiveness of a product. A product that is desirable and just feels well designed. The iPhone has demonstrated it's sex appeal. The early SE pSeries had sex appeal. That NVIDIA GUI prototype on infosyncworld has much sex appeal.

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-07 14:12 ]
imranbashir
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 16:17

These days it is simple to design a phone, all chipsets come with reference designs, GSM modules are generic, memory is just bussed. There is very little variation. For your information HTC have been at the forefront of innovation on WM devices. Your comment is blatantly incorrect.

Digital electronics is not difficult at all, open up a modern phone and look at the PCB, there are not many discrete components at all; they have all been integrated into the silicon of the chipsets. Everything else is bussed or uses a common IO standard.

I’m not implying that SonyEricsson do not know how to make electronic devices. What I am saying is that they have no previous experience of WM devices, and HTC has plenty. It would not make sense for SE to invest in the R&D of designing new architecture it’s a huge risk, why not get someone who has done it before, and have a NDA agreement that does not allow HTC to copy certain aspects of the design.

SonyEricsson would be using a tried and tested design process such as SixSigma in which SonyEricsson would be involved at key stage reviews (six of them) but not get bogged down into the detail of the device.

I’m not a brand lover and have no invested interest in HTC, indeed I didn’t know much about them until I bought the O2 Orbit. I also am not loyal to SonyEricsson, I have had many Ericsson and SonyEricsson phones over the years, and my first phone was an Ericsson GA318 then the Ericsson PF768.

There is not one aspect of the Xperia that you can call unique and worthy of a patent. That doesn’t stop it being a damn fine package though, and hence my interest in buying this device. SE have sat down and thought of everything that you could possibly want in a device and hopefully will deliver it. The only sticking point will be compatibility with existing software that isn’t WVGA aware. I hope this problem doesn’t raise its ugly head.

I see no point in moving this discussion further forward, you are entitled to your views, and me my own. What I will say as a final comment is that SE have probably lost a potential customer in me by announcing the device to early, in the design stage. I would have waited (well I might still wait depending on the out come of some reviews) but the diamond is out next month, its cheaper, and pretty much covers everything that I need a device for. I might be back on the Xperia six months down the line, if all goes well for the device, I wish its birth good luck and will keep an eye on the developments.
QVGA
Nokia Lumia 1020
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 17:03

On 2008-05-07 06:41:30, BobaFett wrote:
just to be fair ( even i agree according the se hype ) esato is still the only forum, which is dedicated for 1 brand, NO other brand has the same community, like this.

BUT all this started here with once, so the fortune of se is, that the "e" apart of the brand had a huge fan club already in the past...

sorry for off topic

I thought that 'e' part went bankrupt? Atleast the mobile division of it. And the mobile divisions go bankrupt when no one buys the mobiles, am i right?
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 17:19
@QVGA

No, Ericsson's mobile division went bankrupt as a result of the fire in the Philips factory where both Ericsson and Nokia outsourced mobile chips from. Nokia made a decision to outsource elsewhewre while Ericsson waited for Philips to recover from the fire. As a matter of fact, Philips promised both Ericsson and Nokia that they would be operational in two weeks and Ericsson held on to that promise. It unfortunately took more than two weeks and Nokia continued with their business as they were getting their chips elsewhwere. By that time Ericsson had lost the competitive edge because they couldn't produce new products to compete and their competitors were progressing. That's when they decided to close shop.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
WhyBe
X1 Black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 18:20

On 2008-05-07 16:17:52, imranbashir wrote:

These days it is simple to design a phone, all chipsets come with reference designs, GSM modules are generic, memory is just bussed. There is very little variation. For your information HTC have been at the forefront of innovation on WM devices. Your comment is blatantly incorrect.

Digital electronics is not difficult at all, open up a modern phone and look at the PCB, there are not many discrete components at all; they have all been integrated into the silicon of the chipsets. Everything else is bussed or uses a common IO standard.

And once again, I beg the question to anyone, Why hasn't any other company annouced or released a phone equal to or better than the X1 ? After all, it is sooo easy

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-07 17:22 ]
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 18:31
@Whybe

Sorry but SE haven't released it yet either have they? and if the rumors in this thread prove correct they won't be releasing it as specified either will they?

Please tell me just what you feel make this device so superior to all others then and special? As it isn't IMO it's Multimedia ability as that is mainly 3gpp and only 15fps VGA in h.264 and no h.264 in the US at all.

So just what it is that you feel is so special then? and September is still quite some time away so no one can be sure just what may be announced or released by then.

The new UIQ.3.3 devices are meant to be announced this month and with shorter delays to market. So if as speculated they deliver faster chips and top end Multimedia they may well indeed be better than the X1 anyway but for now no one knows for sure or not that can say so.

I really don't see why or how you can believe the X1 is so brilliant until it is released and we all see exactly what it manages to deliver. This is not bashing the X1 it's just being realistic and not building it up or judging it until it is available and being sold.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-07 17:34 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 18:33

On 2008-05-07 18:20:37, WhyBe wrote:

On 2008-05-07 16:17:52, imranbashir wrote:

And once again, I beg the question to anyone, Why hasn't any other company annouced or released a phone equal to or better than the X1 ? After all, it is sooo easy

[ This Message was edited by: WhyBe on 2008-05-07 17:22 ]

What are you talking about? I can give you a list of phone equivalent to the X1 or better.

Lets start with the new Diamond, which is on the same level with the X1, the .2in screen with the small increase in resolution is definately not enough to beat the diamond which is slimmer, better looking and more RAM.

The the Eten V900:
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1080
even better because of DVBH and DVBT

The Gigabyte MS808
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=1128
with a kick ass processor, the new Marvel PXA310.

If the keyboard is an issue, we'll thats a niche market but you've got

Toshiba G920 and the G910:
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=999&view=1

The iMate Ultimate 9502
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=909
Its got video out as well

Looking at phones with a lesser Mpx but better specs for a business user

THe imate 8150/6150
http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=719

Theyve got TV out, graphics support from the Nvidia GPU, USB Host, a decent 2Mpx snapper.

and IMO the N95 and the E90 out guns any of the above mentioned phone if the overall package is considered. Not that I like either of them, but in pure performance none of teh above models including the X1 is as complete as the E90 and the N95.

And this is just the start of the year, wait for the Dream and the Raphael and god know what else is in store from the other WM manufacturers

EDIT: Well said Marc

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2008-05-07 17:35 ]
Mige
T610
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 18:34
pics of x1? [addsig]
Dups!
BlackBerry Q10
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 18:54
People should move away from this idea that the X1 is this mighty device that outguns every other. What it has, with the exception of HSUPA and the Xperia panels, has been implemented before. I like the phone and probably going to get it, but it is just another WM phone and nothing special.

I don't know if I can say I agree with the statement that the E90 outguns it though, to me they are similar but with different operating systems. The one area where the E90 "wins" is that it is older than the X1 yet it posseses the same features and it is quite stable. Makes you wonder what the successor to the E90 would pack.

So, all in all, SE is still playing catch up.
It's not what you do or even how you do it but in what state of mind you do it: Dups! 2009
imranbashir
D750
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 18:57

Because there is no need to as the Xperia has not been released yet. September is a lifetime away!
NightBlade
Sony Xperia T
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 19:00

On 2008-05-07 18:57:07, imranbashir wrote:

Because there is no need to as the Xperia has not been released yet. September is a lifetime away!

Since when is 4 months a "lifetime"?
norti
X1 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 19:06

Summer flies so fast away...

BTW: I don't agree with the hype too, but I will buy the X1 not for the panel interface and not for other sliding windows or any other shiny things. I need to replace my 4 year old Mio558 (QVGA) PDA and my really slow M600i UIQ3 smartphone with a powerful WM device, that has qwerty keyboard. So simple. And X1 has the power for these in a small size (a little taller and thicker than my M600, but that's it, it is really small) And yes, I have good eyes for a small screen xD
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2008-05-07 19:14
@fytk

As it happened Ericsson manufactured the most advanced technology in their devices and they also had great build quality and reliability. For instance the the microphone and speaker where sourced from B&O which is why sonically they were always the best. However there designs were very reserved and understated and their marketing was lacking.

On the other side you had Sony whose Marketing and design flare was excellent but whose quality was lacking. So it looked like a marriage made in heaven to form a JV and for while it was very successful as witnessed by SE's market share and growth. But in this initial period they were still feeding off Ericsson R & D and the products this brought. Once this dried up is where IMO the problems started and up to now continue, this is why many of us long for the good old Ericsson days and Ericsson is one of the oldest names in Telecommunications it has been going for hundreds of years and only in telecoms. It still has a strong Network business that brings the latest tech to the market even today.

@EMSO6

There is one area that the E90 is superior to the yet released X1 and that is in Video recording and playback. In fact it is one of the things that the E90 is without an equal in as although the N95 and a few others equal it they don't have 4" 800 x 352 screens nor do any other devices.

Marc

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2008-05-07 18:18 ]
aksd
Z610 Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2008-05-07 19:32
We'll I still doubt the capabilities of the X1 processor, especially the 7501A processor, although its about 200Mhz faster than the X1 processor it is yet to be seen if it is superior. If the OMAP 2420 end up the winner then the X1 is out gunned . But the X1 is smaller and more pocketable which is important for a cellphone , so ................

Yes I know they're on different operating systems, we had a huge debate regarding this on page 70 or so. I personally prefer WM. And performance of the hardware will vary because of the different Operating Systems, to compare them in a real worl situation we would just have to wait for its release

On 2008-05-07 19:00:08, NightBlade wrote:

Since when is 4 months a "lifetime"?

In the tech world , some products are out dated even before they release, eg: ermm... X1? , but that does'nt mean I wont consider getting it, depending on the next HTC announcement.

Akshay

[ This Message was edited by: aksd on 2008-05-07 18:36 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 118119120 ... 504505506  Next
Goto page:
Lock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic