Esato

Forum > General discussions > Other manufacturers > iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9

Visitors browsing this topic: 1
Add to Bookmarks
Previous  123 ... 101112 131415  Next
Author iPhone announced on O2 available Nov 9
Jools
C510 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 15:29
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Yeah, that's why I said the poll is not representative or scientfic.

I'd would be surprised if even 100,000 iPhones are sold by Christmas in the UK (maybe in Europe as a whole).

It took three months to sell 1million iPhone in the US - and that was to a 'cool' phone starved public of a much higher populated country.

They'll have a much harder job convincing the UK public to part with their cash, especially as the high contract cost, lack of 3G, rip-off Britain stuff was widely reported on every news programme on the evening of the UK launch.

Even none of my Mac owning friends want one at that cost, despite all of them eagerly waiting for an Apple phone of some kind before it was announced in the US. They all said "I'd definately buy an Apple phone" and even though the touchscreen UI and media functions are far better than they imagined, the cost is too prohibitive and the lack of 3G/MMS/Modem a deal breaker.
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 15:30
the poll wasnt just specifically placed in an iphone story, the tech section as well?
Posted from an iPhone
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 18:12
I find it interesting that UNTS is a big deal breaker, as I have already said, anywher eoutside of Major Cities, especially anywhere outside of Edinburgh or Glasgow in Scotland and you can FOrget about 3G.

Obviously the south of england is different but the basic rule still applies, at last check the population coverage for UMTS in the UK was only just scraping 60%, where as the GSM population coverage on Orange is 99%.

As I have said, especially in Scotland, people are usually recommended to turn off 3G to save battery and increase their coverage.

Orange BTW have the best GSM coverage in the UK (%pop cov., and the MOST transmitters in the UK. The 3G network is as strong as anyone's as most companies are sharing the UMTS framework, and the coverage is STILL lacking.

So for over 3 Million scots who don't live in the central belt or near a moajor city, kiss goodbye to 3G, and TBH the coverage in the 2 major cities is crap as well.

Of course for instance London is almost fully covered, but what would you expect, there are enough transmitters to cook a chicken if you left it on the pavement long enough lol.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 22:12
SEUnlock ive been using 3G now for around 3 years and have never had coverage problems anywhere ive been. Im using Orange now and even with that I get good 3G signal everywhere.
MWEB
Xperia X10 Black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-21 22:32

On 2007-09-21 22:12:02, bavlondon2 wrote:
SEUnlock ive been using 3G now for around 3 years and have never had coverage problems anywhere ive been. Im using Orange now and even with that I get good 3G signal everywhere.

Agree 100% Bav, i have used 3G since day 1, AND i live and travel within 20 miles of the lake district and north yorkshire moors.
Orange and 3 UMTS coverage is pretty close to GSM level now.
Daedalus85
K750
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-21 22:53
Something tells me he's just bitter because the north has f-all coverage
My opinions on this forum are that of my own and not of the company I work for.
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-22 15:35

On 2007-09-21 22:32:41, mweb6161 wrote:

Agree 100% Bav, i have used 3G since day 1, AND i live and travel within 20 miles of the lake district and north yorkshire moors.
Orange and 3 UMTS coverage is pretty close to GSM level now.

To be honest the last time that I can recall my phone signal switching over to GSM through lack of 3G coverage was when 3 first launched in the UK. Since then ive never had any problems.

Also since ive got my WIFI working now the P1 has really grown on me so think I wont get an iphone now. I will be getting an ipod touch though
Superluminova
K610 red
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 00:31
Daff questions time,

I'm on an o2 contract just now and plan on getting an iPhone.

What happens if i stick my sim in the iPhone and activate it?

What happens if i stick a payg sim in and activate it?
OBEY GAINT
amnesia
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 01:54
you need a special iPhone O2 sim card if you aren't going to unlock it.

Otherwise you have to unlock it to use any other sim card.
Compare every UK Mobile deal available! | Qatar - A complete guide to the heart of the Middle East
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 04:02
Hi all,

I spoke to 02 today and they don't have the iPhone PAYG Sim cards available be yet but they will be £15 @ an 02 shop or £9.99 if ordered direct from 02. I also spoke to OFCOM who have opened a report but need to wait for it's release re unlocking but so far agree it will be illegal not to. Also spoke to 02 about unlocking and received a different answer they don't yet know and won't till it's released. So maybe they will sell you an unlock code after all.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-25 03:03 ]
bavlondon2
P1
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 09:47
This will surley be in the region of £400 upwards wont it? Otherwise most people would be doing that.
themarques
W950 Blue
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 12:09
There is no saying that they cant sell you the phone for say 200+ and then charge you another say 250+ for an unlock code.

So I think they will provide an unlock code but charge you hell and earth for it.
Dogmann
T39 black
PM
Posted: 2007-09-25 16:17
@ all

The price of the iPhone is £269.99 that's it's price from the Apple shop CPW or even 02. They have to sell you the unlock at a reasonable fee compared to the costs involved the figures you are suggesting where are you plucking them from. They would have a very hard time proving that unlocking an iPhone cost 10 times more than any other device.

But for now they haven't said they won't so lets just wait and see what happens once it is released.

Marc

Honoured to have won BEST DEBATER

[ This Message was edited by: Dogmann on 2007-09-25 15:18 ]
whentheleveebreaks
T68i
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 16:53

The bit of central london where i work (embankment) doesn't get 3G reception on Orange, especially not inside any of the local buildings.

TBH i have never once used any 3G services and have it turn off on my phone (have used WIFI for the past couple of years for surfing), so not having 3G on the iPhone to me doesnt make any difference at all
Posted from an iPhone
seunlock-uk
W950 Blue
PM, WWW
Posted: 2007-09-25 17:46

On 2007-09-25 16:17:31, Dogmann wrote:
@ all

The price of the iPhone is £269.99 that's it's price from the Apple shop CPW or even 02. They have to sell you the unlock at a reasonable fee compared to the costs involved the figures you are suggesting where are you plucking them from. They would have a very hard time proving that unlocking an iPhone cost 10 times more than any other device.

But for now they haven't said they won't so lets just wait and see what happens once it is released.

Marc

The thing is, is that currently the networks choose to make the cost of unlocking relatively low, £20 on Orange etc. However they could feasably increase this slightly if they wanted, AND could deny it UNTIL the end of a contract or charge you an exhorbatant fee whilst still under conract, like 3.

The thing is is that networks like 3 have large unlocking charges because you can get the phone so cheap on their cheap plans, free phone on a £15 p/m contract etc. So they charge you a fee which is levied against the amount of monthly payments you have left, this is a model that O2 could incorporate.

"You can have an unlock code, but it will be levied against the possible financial loss associated with it" is the most likely scenario, which would see a dramtically inflated unlock cost.

Reasoning, and justification, you can buy an iPhone for £269, the same as someone on a £35 18 month contract (£630), so they can "reasonably" charge an inflated cost to unlock based on the potential loss of revenue. Even on PayG they can "justify" it, you buy it for £269, and the avg. spend on payG is say for instance £10 / month, over the course of 18 month that is £180, again charging £20 is a significant loss of earning potential, so there is scope for them to inflate the cost.

The sticky wicket in the legislation is the "reasonable" cost, who determines what is "reasonable"?? What is it measured against, Handset Cost?, Contract Type/Length?? Potential Loss of Earnings for Carrier?

Answer NOONE knows, so there is wide scope for them to play with in the legislation in order to charge massively inflated fees for the cost of unlocking an iPhone, or even refusing to do so until the minimum term contractual period is up, 18 months.
Watch Out for our Upcoming Retail Store!!
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 101112 131415  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic