Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Android > Warning against Xperia Neo

Previous  123  Next
Author Warning against Xperia Neo
kaizerp900
Xperia Arc Silver
PM
Posted: 2011-06-22 21:09
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post

Then you must be unlucky & have 2 faulty neo's from the same batch coz there's no way it sounds that low on my Neo & I reckon a few other Neo owners will vouch the same.

it's defo not a widespread problem with Neo owners as never read / seen anyone on other forums mention any kind of audio issue like the one you're having.

Most of the reviews are talking out of their bums , the camera is the same in Neo as the Arc & the pics are almost identical but I would not use the word "worse".

That makes it sound terrible when it fact it takes some amazing pictures.
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-22 21:27

On 2011-06-22 21:09:27, kaizerp900 wrote:
Then you must be unlucky & have 2 faulty neo's from the same batch coz there's no way it sounds that low on my Neo & I reckon a few other Neo owners will vouch the same.

it's defo not a widespread problem with Neo owners as never read / seen anyone on other forums mention any kind of audio issue like the one you're having.

It's been very difficult for me accepting that the audio should be like that, so it's good to finally hear someone agree with me. No one else does, including Sony Ericsson Xperia support. Of course, they haven't heard the audio from my Neo, but they were convinced the Neo was built with lower audio-recording on purpose.

Anyone else who'll agree that something is wrong with the audio recorded from my Neo in the previous mp4 example file?
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-23 11:52
Found an example at YouTube that shows the same result.

Video recorded with Arc: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePWybgugZUA
Same video recorded with Neo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omopr1hZHqc

The audio on the Arc video is clearly much cleaner and louder and better than the Neo recording.

As far as I can see, those videos are uploaded by a user from Hungary. Whether Hungary got Neo's from the same batch as Denmark or not, I don't know. But at this point it's getting increasingly difficult to determine if this is just how all Neo's behave, or if we're talking only a certain batch of Neo's.

Still waiting for someone to come up with example videos done by Neo + Arc at the same time, that shows a different results. If anyone is able to do this, then there should be no doubt that it is infact a certain batch of Neo's that are flawed.
angel_15htg
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 13:27
you want the arc inside your neo?
seems like you're only after the HD video recording, then why dont go for a hd videocam instead?
after all, its not only HD video the neo can offer.
tai020381
Satio Black
PM
Posted: 2011-06-23 16:05
Sell the Neo and buy an arc??
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-23 19:35

On 2011-06-23 13:27:10, angel_15htg wrote:
you want the arc inside your neo?

That's exactly right. I want(ed) a Neo that does the same things Arc does since they both have the exact same hardware specs. I'm sure most people assume that the Arc and Neo will behave the same way, since they do infact behave the same in every other aspect.

On 2011-06-23 13:27:10, angel_15htg wrote:
seems like you're only after the HD video recording, then why dont go for a hd videocam instead?
after all, its not only HD video the neo can offer.

I'm getting real tired of answering this question. But here goes again: Because I don't want to carry two devices with me all the time. If I go with that solution, experience shows I'll never bring the HD video recorder with me anyway. Sit down and practice accepting that some people have this preference.

On 2011-06-23 16:05:13, tai020381 wrote:
Sell the Neo and buy an arc??

I've finally managed to get my money back for both the Neos I bought. But I won't buy Arc. I avoided the Arc from the start because it's too big for my liking (as previously stated). I've really tried changing my preference on that matter, but I just can't. Everytime I try holding my coworkers Arc, it just feels wrong. I want something the size of Neo, or even smaller, while keeping the video-recording quality of the Arc. Why is that so difficult to get?

Xperia Ray appears to be the next device in the line, to match those criterias, but I really have to stop assuming logical things about Sony Ericsson products. They keep making illogical decisions. That's the lesson I've learned more than once now about SE products: Assume nothing! You'll be surprised if you do.
I'm sure everyone at this moment, have high expectations to Ray, and expect it to be really really cool and great. Does anyone here expect it to be slow? Or missing a feature the Arc had? Or be produced of a lesser quality plastic? Or have worse battery-time than Arc? Anyone? No? Wanna bet?

Still, I'm sure I'll end up buying it anyway. But it'll definitely be from a net-shop, because that's the only way I have a chance to test it properly and return it if I'm disappointed.
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-29 10:08

On 2011-06-22 17:52:58, kaizerp900 wrote:
I will do another recording with my friends arc & my neo & get them uploaded asap as when we did a recording it was in our office building & to us they sounded the same.

How's this coming along?
tranced
LG Nexus 4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-29 13:58
Assuming Xperia pro is a QWERTY Xperia neo, is there a chance this phone has the same 'fault'?
I jay0726 | (+3, 0) | Clara, Evita, Mimmi & Victoria | My Pics | Do your job!
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-06-29 16:14

On 2011-06-29 13:58:32, tranced wrote:
Assuming Xperia pro is a QWERTY Xperia neo, is there a chance this phone has the same 'fault'?

First lesson: Assume nothing! From what I've learned up till now, the Pro could very well be a lesser quality version of Neo - only with a keyboard - because that makes sense...

Dammit I'm tired of these disappointments.

Still, have to try out the Ray. Can anyone tell me a good shop to order from? I won't wait till it arrives in my country this time.
[ This Message was edited by: mr_lou on 2011-06-29 15:29 ]
Bonovox
LG G4
PM
Posted: 2011-06-29 17:12
Clove website now have stock for UK of the Neo for £340. Also you may take into account that the Neo is a cheaper version.
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-06-29 20:34 ]
Phone?? What phone??
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-18 13:44
Well I'm getting Neo in a few days - will let you all know how it goes.
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-19 07:02

On 2011-09-18 13:44:33, max_wedge wrote:
Well I'm getting Neo in a few days - will let you all know how it goes.

I've learned, that the low audio in video-recordings is a firmware thing. Early firmware recorded mono sound loud enough. Newer firmwares record stereo sound way too low. (Needs to be boosted at least 250% before it's usable).
So if you value video-recording, either flash your Neo with an old firmware, or manually edit each video you record to boost the audio volume.

Check out this example to hear the difference:
http://www.dewfall.dk/compare2.mp4

(Yes, I ended up buying the Ray, which is exactly the same because both Arc/Neo/Ray runs the same firmware).
[ This Message was edited by: mr_lou on 2011-09-19 06:04 ]
c96sthl
C702 Speed Black
PM
Posted: 2011-09-19 09:05
LOL I always found it weird this thread start with "Warning "

but now with Bonovox give up Neo for dust under his display.

I have to add it as a warning.

Dust was found under my camera lens which is more ridiculous then under the display.

so.... in a way Neo have a good package but the factory that build them seem to have issue.
max_wedge
Xperia Neo Black
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-19 13:52
I just tested some video (I will upload some better tests soon) but video of myself talking phone about 2 feet away, and recording video off the computer screen (speakers about 2 feet away, medium volume) yielded a more than satisfactory results. Audio is strong and clear.

But I will obviously need to do some test at greater range.

Gingerbread 2.3.3 kernal version 2.6.32.9. What version is the newest? This phone may have been on the shelf for a couple of months - the silver units aren't shifting as fast as the blue or red.

btw, I am loving this phone! Not withstanding the video issue, I am very impressed with SE ergonomics. They put the small touches that seem to make a big difference. Also the hardware seems top notch - the screen is bright and very clear, the audio output quality is brilliant on loudspeaker mode (as well as headphones). The touchscreen is superb.

Very happy so far.
mr_lou
T68i mineral
PM, WWW
Posted: 2011-09-19 16:09
max, it's not a question of which version of Android is installed. That doesn't matter.

It's a question of which firmware version is installed.

Version 3.0.1.A.0.145 gives mono sound in video-recordings, and the volume is good.
Version 4.0.A.2.368 gives stereo sound in video-recordings, and the volume is way too low.

Some Neo's comes with 3.0.1.A.0.145 and some comes with 4.0.A.2.368.
If you're on 3.0.1.A.0.145 I strongly advise you to NOT update.
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi