Forum > Sony Ericsson / Sony > Symbian phones > Orange UK P990 Defects

Previous  12
Author Orange UK P990 Defects
mkouk
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-18 14:50
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
Manchester is not there either, why should Glasgow be????
mkouk
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-18 18:41
by the way, i am sure if you go to a SE centre they will update your firmware with the generic one. that's what i did with my orangefied P900, the only issue was that i had to go to the centre for an update everytime i needed one only because the SEUS would restore the orange crap when used that one...

My RSS reader is not working either, it says "folder not found"...who knows how many things they deleted accidentally when they copied in their own stupid icons.
xboxman
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-18 20:45
Has anyone else noticed that the sound of the p990 ringing is very well rubbush it sounds like it have been shoved in cupboad or have i just missed a vital setting somewhere i know u can change the equalizer in the media player but that dont solve the problem for ringtones.
mkouk
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-18 22:51
my p990's sound...sounds fine! i'd say the quality is a lot better than the P900 and even the speakerphone doesn't echo anymore
xboxman
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-19 11:38
well mine sounds like the treble has been turned down and the bass turned up! Any ideas a fault with the handset?
shez
P990
PM
Posted: 2006-10-26 23:12
Got a P990 from Orange as well. I have had instaces where the apps just close by themselves (crashes). I noticed it happens specially when u are running any app an try to open "Web".

Also, the RSS newsreader is missing, and so far Orange was just able to tell me that if it has been removed by hem, there has to be a "good reason" but were unable to tell me what the so called "good reason" was...

I'm trying to get the .sis file for the RSS reader directly from SE. Called them and was told its not possible, but htey were crap as well at tech support. So I'm trying email. Hope I get somewhere...

mlittle
P990 no flip
PM, WWW
Posted: 2006-10-28 19:16
I mailed SE about the RSS reader, and this is what I got back:

Dear Martin Little,

Thank you for contacting the Sony Ericsson Call Centre.

With regards to your enquiry, unfortunately if features are missing due to network customisation, Sony Ericsson is prohibited from adding them back onto your P990i.

Should you require any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again for further help and support.

For more information on our products and services, please feel free to visit our website at www.sonyericsson.com

www.sonyericsson.com/fun
Register now for great content and fantastic Web and WAP Services.

Kind Regards,
Mark Ball

Once again, Orange customisation to 'make our lives easier' messes things up in the real world. LEAVE THE DAMN PHONE SOFTWARE AS IT'S MEANT TO BE, ORANGE!!!!!!
kradcliffe
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-10-29 18:47
Branded phone = cheaper price = using it the Orange way!

Been there, done that, never again.
jwhite
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-10-29 18:47
I have a P990 on orange (new contract) which I ordered over the phone (online offer) and recieved two weeks ago this coming Wednesday. I have found it to be unbelievably slow and very frustrating. There is a three or four second delay on everything you do and it crashes now regullary in web browser, contacts and various other applications. The picture gallery takes at least 3 minutes to show thumbnails of the pictures on the memory stick and often shows them as corrupt! The orange homescreen is very annoying and slow and changes the whole look of the phone, even editing the themes makes no difference to how it basically looks. I agree that the icons are awful, I liked the icons on my P910i (and P800 actually) and this is part of the reason I bought another Sony Ericsson phone. My friend is a CPW manager and I spoke to him today and they no longer remove the orange branding from phones (i.e. they won't install the unbranded firmware) so as not to upset orange! I spent 3 hours this morning trying to get through to customer services on 150 and eventually went into an orange store, they couldn't really help me but I used the phone instore to dial through and got through in about 20 minutes. I have a new handset arriving tommorow, hopefully it is a dodgy one I've got now and not a problem with all orange p990's. Well, I'll see. I'm just a bit nervous about being outside my 14 days get out period with another handset that doesn't work! I also popped into CPW and tried an O2 handset and it works fine, good speed etc but obviously a lot more pricey sim free. I also bought a shopping list programme from the sony ericsson website which is awful. I had a great one on my P910 which was part of a cheap bundle but this one is completely unusable and I'm going to contact SE for a refund!
kradcliffe
P910
PM
Posted: 2006-10-29 20:37
Although the Orange ones are customised, it seems that there are a lot of firmware faults that have nothing to do with customisation.

I can only imagine the operators are well pissed off with all the people complaining / sending back P990i units.

It should never ever have been released in this state, and it's the third firmware release!!

I still have a P910i which is simply excellent. 113 days uptime, 20.6Mb ram free on boot and loads of excellent apps. Judging by a lot of the comments on here, the P990i is one phone to steer well clear of.

If this second one is no better, send the f**ker back and get another model. The P990i is drowning by the day, and SE are yet again strangely silent about fixing it ..........................

It's a joke ..... first of all SE were supposed to test it, then the operators released it after their testing. It seems it can't even do the most basic tasks without crashing ..... WTF?
JonStatt
T68 gold
PM
Posted: 2006-10-31 15:51
I filed a ticket with tech support regarding the missng RSS newsreader. I cited the fact the userguide actually showed this feature working. Note the userguide is Orangised too despite the fact it is SE branded!

Feedback was that they know about it...agree its a problem...and it would be fixed in a subsequent firmware release. What we do not know is if new firmware releases will be available via SEUS for Orange handsets.

My memory stick was also missing any other applications except for the GPS software.

As for the homescreen. I have had a play with a generic P990i. There is something offputting about branding, but actually in terms of functionality, the homescreen adds more than the P990 one. The standby screen is very strange with the flip open on a generic P990i...at least its filled with buttons on an Orange one.

The Orange icons are awful though....

Jonathan
Jah
X1 Silver
PM
Posted: 2006-10-31 16:00
@jwhite

When you get your replacement

1. Don't install any apps on the Duo card
2. Back-up when new
3. Perform a Master Reset or Format Internal Drive from the Service Menu
4. Restore
5. Switch-off the Jot hand writing recognition

You should find improved performance. Try without the Duo card initially then add the card to see if there is a change in performance. Use the card that comes with the phone initially.

Tell us what happens

[ This Message was edited by: Jah on 2006-10-31 15:00 ]
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi