Xperia S
Long live the legacy of the Xperia arc
Long live the legacy of the K850i
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 01:49
Reply with quoteEdit/Delete This PostPrint this post
I think most phones have gimmicky like features. It's only when the 'gimmick' proves to be of a real advantage that it ceases to be gimmicky.

The new floating-touch technology has the potential to develop into something fantastic further down the line. Floating multi-touch anyone?

The possibility that one day in the near future it might be possible to navigate and manipulate on-screen information using our fingertips but without actually touching the screen with our greasy fingers can only be a good thing.
vivftp
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 01:50
I wonder if Sony is planning to go head to head with the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 5 with the Hayabusa and Mint. From what I understand about the launch dates they seem pretty close together with the SGS3 and Hayabusa releasing within a month of one another, and the Mint and iPhone 5 releasing around the same time. Then again the Hayabusa and Mint are releasing only 2 months apart so at least one of them should be a more unconventional design or run another OS like Windows 8.

If Sony is planning to merge all the unique features of the announced phones into one flagship phone I would get that in a heartbeat. The Xperia S is great, but as other have said it just feels that with the current lineup no matter which phone you get you'll be left wanting features from one of the others. I'm hoping Hayabusa will be it, as it'll be a successor to the Arc in terms of design.
goldenface
Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 01:55
Well in the interview that was posted here recently it was implied that six months from now there would be further flagships with underlying hardware changes. The processors / number of cores and the camera spring to mind straight away. A 16MP quad-core Xperia S upgrade with all the recent features added doesn't sound implausible to me.
lolstebbo
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 01:56

On 2012-03-14 00:09:30, kewsvnet wrote:
the new sony line up is interesting....altho i have noticed that so far there isn't a single flagship phone which incorporates all the best features

Sounds like the 2011 line for the most part; the core models were, for the most part, small, medium, and large variants of the same general set of specifications, and then there were auxiliary modes with something additional to the basic feature set. In this case thus far, the core models seem to be the NXT ones, with the Ion and Sola being the auxiliary ones.
Supa_Fly
X1 Silver
PM, WWW
Posted: 2012-03-14 03:31

On 2012-03-14 01:49:59, goldenface wrote:
I think most phones have gimmicky like features. It's only when the 'gimmick' proves to be of a real advantage that it ceases to be gimmicky.

The new floating-touch technology has the potential to develop into something fantastic further down the line. Floating multi-touch anyone?

The possibility that one day in the near future it might be possible to navigate and manipulate on-screen information using our fingertips but without actually touching the screen with our greasy fingers can only be a good thing.

Truer words have never been spoken in MONTHS here!! Bravo!!

I believe we may see some form of motion manipulation for smartphones; possibly first benefiting those with dexterity limitations/injuries and then into something more profound - like MS XBox's Motion sensor for the docked use of Xperia lineup.
|AppleTV2|iPhone 12Mini 256GB|iPad Pro 256GB| Previously ... K750|Z500|Z520|K700|K790i|K850i, :Ericsson: T18z|T28World|T36m x3|T68m (Ericsson, not the rebranded T68i).
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 08:00
Ice Cream Sandwich coming to 2011 Xperia™ smartphones from end March/early April 2012

As previously communicated we will update the entire 2011 Xperia portfolio* to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) as part of our next software upgrade. Our developers are now busy merging our current Xperia™ software with the new features in Android 4.0.

With the holiday season around the corner, we’re happy to confirm that the first 2011 Xperia™ smartphones will be upgraded to Android 4.0 starting from end March/early April 2012. The first smartphones to get the upgrade are Xperia™ arc S, Xperia™ neo V and Xperia™ ray. Soon after, starting from end April/early May, Xperia™ arc, Xperia™ PLAY, Xperia™ neo, Xperia™ mini and mini pro, Xperia™ pro, Xperia™ active as well as Sony Ericsson Live with Walkman™ will get their upgrades.

This will be a phased roll out over several weeks and all kits for a specific phone model will not get the upgrade at the same time.
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2012-03-14 07:04 ]
smclion102
T610
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 08:07
End March/early April - Xperia™ arc S, Xperia™ neo V and Xperia™ ray.

End April/early May - Xperia™ arc, Xperia™ PLAY, Xperia™ neo, Xperia™ mini and mini pro, Xperia™ pro, Xperia™ active,Live with Walkman™ will get their upgrades.

@ROG
WHAT ABOUT XPERIA S ????
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2012-03-14 07:09 ]
argiriano
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 10:05
After seeing Xperia Sola and another innovation in it I decide to wait for Hayabusa... because I think Sony will incorporate more of their tech in their true flagship for the rest of the year. It should be close to a perfect phone.

pauvincent
Sony Xperia V
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 10:38
Don't get your hopes up no quadcore for Sony this year
wario
W810 black
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 11:32
i'm excited to see the hayabusa design if it's truly the arc's successor. also, it should be the first sony phone that releases with ics. so no buttons.
arcmhyke
Sony Xperia TX
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 12:04
All these Features in one package?

+HD White Magic Display with Bravia Engine
+2MP with HD Video
+Floating Touch Technology
+Exmor R Sensor with Fast Capture
+Transparent Strip with Changing Color and exchangeable bottom caps
+Aluminum UniBody
+HDMI Port
+Stereo Speakers with Clear Bass, Clear Stereo and Sony 3D surround sound audio technology
+8GB Total Internal Storage with Micro SD slot
+1750mAh Removable Battery with Fast Charge
Phone: Sony Xperia TX LT29i
Camera: Cyber-shot DSC QX10
Speaker: SRS BTV5 Wireless Speaker
Headset: MW1 Smart Wireless Headset pro | MH EX300AP
MyP910
Sony Xperia Z
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 13:30
in the xperia sola hands on video, I saw the guy use a piece of cloth to touch/launch the browser. It seems that the touchscreen doesn't need conductive material to response. Does it mean that we can use normal or pointy stylus to touch the screen as well? If this can be done, it will be damn good... a breakthrough for capacitive touch.

I know galaxy note use a pointy stylus too but you can't use any other stylus except the one comes with the phone.
[ This Message was edited by: MyP910 on 2012-03-14 12:31 ]
MNX1024
Model not set
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 14:37

On 2012-03-14 12:04:37, mhyke wrote:
All these Features in one package?

+HD White Magic Display with Bravia Engine
+2MP with HD Video
+Floating Touch Technology
+Exmor R Sensor with Fast Capture
+Transparent Strip with Changing Color and exchangeable bottom caps
+Aluminum UniBody
+HDMI Port
+Stereo Speakers with Clear Bass, Clear Stereo and Sony 3D surround sound audio technology
+8GB Total Internal Storage with Micro SD slot
+1750mAh Removable Battery with Fast Charge

If such flagship is implemented, that would be awesome!!! Heck, I don't care if it's not a quad-core. I'll gladly give up the MicroSD slot if it has a 64GB internal storage. I'll even give up the removable battery if they can slim down the phone considerably and of course have a minimum of a 1750mAh battery. I'm just hoping that they don't remove the shutter key because I'm a huge advocate for a physical shutter key due to being a photographer.
Ravager
T610
PM
Posted: 2012-03-14 17:43

On 2012-03-14 13:30:26, MyP910 wrote:
in the xperia sola hands on video, I saw the guy use a piece of cloth to touch/launch the browser. It seems that the touchscreen doesn't need conductive material to response. Does it mean that we can use normal or pointy stylus to touch the screen as well? If this can be done, it will be damn good... a breakthrough for capacitive touch.

I know galaxy note use a pointy stylus too but you can't use any other stylus except the one comes with the phone.
[ This Message was edited by: MyP910 on 2012-03-14 12:31 ]

I guess it should be possible.
I actually sometimes use the back of some of my better pens (read metal pens) to control the screen, works kind of good
Ravager
The tiny rabbit from outer space
Access the forum with a mobile phone via esato.mobi
Previous  123 ... 838485 ... 318319320  Next
Goto page:
Unlock this Topic Move this Topic Delete this Topic