Welcome to Esato.com


Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
News Articles:

Related

Technical details:

From the forum:

Xperia ray Official Thread


Click to view updated thread with images




Posted by jplacson
@nevin007, don't worry. I actually posted an initial impression on my blog. The screen and responsiveness is excellent, as is one handed typing (which was my primary concern)

For the rest, I'm still giving the phone a decent run through, but so far, I'm getting a solid 12 hours battery life of heavy surfing (half Wifi, half 3G)... the most power draining is when I'm using VLingo in the car constantly listening over Bluetooth.

I tried the new xperia Mini Pro as well, and it's leaps and bounds better than my X10 Mini Pro, but the slim design of the ray is what sold me. The new crop of xperia phones are really great.


Posted by Bonovox

On 2011-09-25 16:40:11, daydotz wrote:
@Bonovox was their much o2 branding on it ?




I could not see any no but I guess with O2 it will be minimal

Posted by kaizerp900

Notice how most of the people posting they've "had a play with one & wasn't impressed" are the ones who have previously had nitpicking issues with another Xperia model.

I mean cmon there's some really silly "so called issues" being posted just lately that are being made to sound like major faults when they are not.

Creaky battery cover / low sound recording video etc......

Every single manufacturer & model of mobile phone will have small niggles of some kind but you aren't gonna read about them on here being an SE forum, the galaxy S has been known to have freezing issues , the iphone 3gs had cracking backs & random reboots etc....

At the end of the day the Xperia Ray is marketed as a junior Xperia Arc so it's common sense a £200 phone is gonna be missing a few features of others & do some things a little less as well as the dearer model, that's just life.

Stop going in to stores with the sole purpose of finding the faults with an Xperia.

If you don't like any of the Xperia's then don't buy em , move on to a different brand so the people who do love SE can continue in peace.

Posted by nevinp007
Well said, kaizerp900. people like criticizing sony ericsson. Everybody uphold samsung, but i don't see much in those phones. I like the way sony ericsson produces Xperias, the hardware, ui, everything. I like the se style . Oh, yeah. That's the spirit

Posted by nevinp007
And, thank you jplacson, for your reply. I'm waiting for your in-depth review as you promised. You're the only reviewer whom i could personally tell my needs. And, thank you jplacson, for your reply. I'm waiting for your in-depth review as you promised. You're the only reviewer whom i could personally tell my needs.

Posted by Bonovox

On 2011-09-25 17:16:41, kaizerp900 wrote:

Notice how most of the people posting they've "had a play with one & wasn't impressed" are the ones who have previously had nitpicking issues with another Xperia model.

I mean cmon there's some really silly "so called issues" being posted just lately that are being made to sound like major faults when they are not.

Creaky battery cover / low sound recording video etc......

Every single manufacturer & model of mobile phone will have small niggles of some kind but you aren't gonna read about them on here being an SE forum, the galaxy S has been known to have freezing issues , the iphone 3gs had cracking backs & random reboots etc....

At the end of the day the Xperia Ray is marketed as a junior Xperia Arc so it's common sense a £200 phone is gonna be missing a few features of others & do some things a little less as well as the dearer model, that's just life.

Stop going in to stores with the sole purpose of finding the faults with an Xperia.

If you don't like any of the Xperia's then don't buy em , move on to a different brand so the people who do love SE can continue in peace.


I can go into stores & play with a working device on the shelf if I choose to do so. I,like many people still love many models but am finding a few of the newer models a let down. It is a forum & I can point out what I think is disappointing if I choose to do so. The Ray is not a £200 phone it costs £250 to over £300. Many of the new Xperia models have been a serious let for many spending their hard earned on them in the hope of quality. But they are let down so they have the right to express their views. Would you be happy after spending money for it to be not as good quality as other brands are making?? It seems sadly is still behind in quality & tech in many ways to other brands. This makes people feel unhappy about their overall favourite brand,me included. It seems never seems to learn from their mistakes with poor build & low quality in many respects. For some reason though I quite fancy the Arc S so am hoping for something really good. Now,I am bored...............
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-09-25 19:30 ]


Posted by nevinp007
Well, which phone do you see better than Xperia ray? I think ray is the first of it's kind.

Posted by Bonovox
First of it's kind?? In what way?? Cos it's small??

Posted by kaizerp900

Bonovox there's never any point arguing the difference with you as 90% of your posts since the arc days have been nothing but complaints about Xperia phones so you will never go in to a store to look at an Xperia model from a prospective buyer point of view, you will go to see what's wrong with it first & foremost.

see that's just it, you don't point out what's disappointing, you just launch in to your usual moan about SE & slag the phone off just because.

every single model of Xperia you've had lately seems to have some kind of "fatal" flaw that you just cannot live with & need to return it etc.... (dust under screen/creaky back etc...)

Clearly SE is not for you , you would be better to move to pastures new & return to SE when the quality is up to your standards.

I bought 2 Philips tv's back in the day & both actually went faulty so never returned to the brand even though they make some decent products now & there's millions of happy philips customers out there I just don't trust the brand anymore so I no longer buy them.

The ray is just as nearer a £200 phone than a £300 phone , £199 from CPW (& yes I bought one at that price).

Either way just stop having a moan about a phone you don't own , let people who have purchased one reply to potential buyers & they are the best qualified to say if the phone is worth buying or not, not a "have a looksie in store" who just wants to find the faults.

Posted by nevinp007
3.3, 480x854, 296ppi, 8mp camera, 1ghz processor, etc made together to form the Xperia ray. Ain't this enough to respect the ray? Any other brand with some similar configuration? Well, am ignorant, but i haven't seen any samsung or htc or anything with such a phone.
[ This Message was edited by: nevinp007 on 2011-09-25 19:45 ]


Posted by Bonovox
A 3.3 inch display with 1 gighz processor & 8 meg camera?? Yeah,that's new & not been done before And yes I do go into stores in the hope that a good 20 mins spent with a device will be good & with the want of buying. The Ray is only £199 in Carphone if you upgrade not buying new number
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-09-25 19:51 ]


Posted by kaizerp900
Nope £200 total

Find an old pay as you go sim card, go in to cpw & ask for xperia ray on pay as you go

£199 & a few mins later, you walk out with an xperia ray.

Simples!

Posted by Bonovox
No,it's an old pay as you go sim 6 months old or more & you get it for £199 as a pay as you go upgrade. No top up. But it's £250 with new number
[ This Message was edited by: Bonovox on 2011-09-25 20:16 ]


Posted by kaizerp900
So exactly what I said

"find an old pay as you go sim" , then hand over £199

Job done

Posted by Bonovox
Anyway i will stay out the Ray thread now leave you be. But one more say is why do you think Ray is unique first of it'S kind i don't get it?? Others like the HTC Sensation with dual core and qHD display that's something new. I don't hate SE i am just continually frustrated by their standards going down in terms of quality. I still love many of their models and looking back out of all the new Xperia models the Arc is still the only quality device. Anyway enough said

Posted by nevinp007
What's the let down in Xperia ray? You say the se phone's now are a low in quality and you stress the quality let down in ray. What's the let down you mean?, i don't get you. Do you mean, the lack of a dual core or an hdmi port is a let down or what? You say the last phone you saw from se with some quality was arc and what's that you saw in arc and not in ray? You say the ray's screen is small, so it lost all the quality and has no meaning to be sold in stores? Okay, it lacks a dual core and an hdmi port as well, so it's of no quality? I don't see any logic in your statements. well, i said in my earlier post that ray is new of it's kind and i explained that in the next post. Think of a guy who dreams of the configuration of the arc and doesn't have the money to but it, you tell him about ray; do you think he'll say that the ray is of no quality?, i don't think so. If you don't like se Xperia ray, just let it be, nobody compelled you to like it but please don't say that it's a low quality product, please. There are people who like the ray, consider them as well.
[ This Message was edited by: nevinp007 on 2011-09-25 21:25 ]


Posted by Bonovox
I say the Ray is nothing new & is not the first of it's kind. There is nothing new about it's features cos it's just another smaller re hash of phones already released. I am not on about HDMI or certain features missing. I also mean the feel & look of the phone was nothing special imo compared to any other phone by them. And the camera images are still not a big improvement on other models either. I was just voicing my views on another disappointing Xperia model they all just seem so ordinary & nothing new compared to other manufacturers specs like Samsung & HTC. And it is true. I want something outstanding from like something along the lines of HTC Sensation specs or better but they keep releasing the same old specs in another similar looking handset. I never said anyone compelled me to like it,I was saying what I think as I wish would hurry up & catch up with the rest of the industry. I am not saying anymore regarding this cos I will only seriously annoy you The Ray has nothing new or different about it.

Posted by -PERFECT-
Bono, we know what you say, but, at least, you are the ONLY one that say “The Ray has nothing new or different”. Trust me
I have it, the only negative sides are the missing hdmi port and the photo quality (as you said before). For the rest it’s the best phone ever seen. Give me another one with such portability and power, light and fast, great battery (usually 3 days with 3 hours of calls, impossible 6 days with normal usage), one of the best display with this pixel density and 100 g. weight. With less than 300 Euros
It was a lot of time that I did not see a phone that can win hands down compared with other phones.
Well done SE


Posted by lolstebbo

On 2011-09-25 22:30:33, Bonovox wrote:
I say the Ray is nothing new & is not the first of it's kind. There is nothing new about it's features cos it's just another smaller re hash of phones already released.


Most reviewers call it the first premium compact smartphone. Which would be true since most sub-3.5" smartphones tend to be 600 or 800 Mhz with HVGA screens.

Posted by bronxdude

On 2011-09-25 13:09:49, jplacson wrote:

On 2011-09-24 18:15:47, bronxdude wrote:
jplacson - please include quality of music playback via headset on your review please. thanks


@bronxdude, review with the included headset or just playback in general even using much better headphones?



@jplacson
both please. i have 2 other headsets, mw600 and soundmagic pl11

Posted by Zzzyzx
Hi jplacson, just to be sure if the Ray indeed supports the ambient light sensor and it's working fine, can you also check the Service Menu of the phone *#*#7378423#*#*

You can test diffferent features/parts of the phone such as screen display, sound etc.

If Ray supports ambient light sensor, it should show up in that menu. You can test if it's working by checking if the value of the ambient light changes.

Posted by HxH
hope this help!



Posted by jplacson
@Hxh, Thanks, I see where it is now. It's quite tough to spot without shining a flashlight close to the phone surface.

Posted by Zzzyzx
^^^ so does it really affect the brightness of the screen when you go to a low lighted room?
In my Xperia Mini, the adjustment of the screen brightness is very noticeable if you go from one place with ample light to a dimly lit room. I am really planning on switching to Ray if the case is not as bad as in the Mini.

Posted by massimax

On 2011-09-26 07:13:04, Zzzyzx wrote:
^^^ so does it really affect the brightness of the screen when you go to a low lighted room?
In my Xperia Mini, the adjustment of the screen brightness is very noticeable if you go from one place with ample light to a dimly lit room. I am really planning on switching to Ray if the case is not as bad as in the Mini.


AGAIN??? We already said that it DOES NOT affect the screen brightness AT ALL. You set it manually and it remains the same out in the sun or inside a dark room. I don't know why the sensor is here if it doesn't work as it should but that's it: it DOES NOT dim the screen in low light conditions nor it brightens it up when outside

Posted by Zzzyzx
^^^ Sorry. I just wanna be 100% sure that it doesn't affect the screen brightness ;p


Posted by Bonovox

On 2011-09-26 12:57:48, massimax wrote:

On 2011-09-26 07:13:04, Zzzyzx wrote:
^^^ so does it really affect the brightness of the screen when you go to a low lighted room?
In my Xperia Mini, the adjustment of the screen brightness is very noticeable if you go from one place with ample light to a dimly lit room. I am really planning on switching to Ray if the case is not as bad as in the Mini.


AGAIN??? We already said that it DOES NOT affect the screen brightness AT ALL. You set it manually and it remains the same out in the sun or inside a dark room. I don't know why the sensor is here if it doesn't work as it should but that's it: it DOES NOT dim the screen in low light conditions nor it brightens it up when outside


Try putting your finger over it

Posted by wiraperkasa
http://www.soyacincau.com/2011/09/26/xperia-ray-a-design-story/

Posted by jplacson
xperia ray unboxing teaser video

Posted by nevinp007
Xperia ray's price in india is 21600 rupees. (389 american dollars)

Posted by jplacson

On 2011-09-26 05:37:44, Zzzyzx wrote:
Hi jplacson, just to be sure if the Ray indeed supports the ambient light sensor and it's working fine, can you also check the Service Menu of the phone *#*#7378423#*#*

You can test diffferent features/parts of the phone such as screen display, sound etc.

If Ray supports ambient light sensor, it should show up in that menu. You can test if it's working by checking if the value of the ambient light changes.


Ambient Light sensor works, it's just not enabled in 2.3.3 as of now

Posted by idumbakumar
Seems its has got a very good call quality... thumbs UP for

"exceptional call quality (one of the best we’ve experienced from a dual-mic phone)"

Posted by smclion102

On 2011-09-27 12:26:20, nevinp007 wrote:
Xperia ray's price in india is 21600 rupees. (389 american dollars)


Xperia Ray Price Range including Tax[INDIA]
Rs.18,500 local store
Rs.18995 flipkart.com
Rs-19,500 univercell.in

Ranging from $380+
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2011-09-27 19:45 ]


Posted by altemyr

On 2011-09-26 17:27:19, jplacson wrote:
xperia ray unboxing teaser video


Strange, the label on the box in the video says "one year warranty". I got two years SonyEricsson World-wide warranty. Also, I got the new LiveSound headset and not such one as displayed on the picture.

Posted by jplacson
@altemyr, that's the normal warranty here in the Philippines. No LiveSound headset, just the regular one in the Philippine kit.

Posted by HxH

On 2011-09-27 20:43:18, smclion102 wrote:

On 2011-09-27 12:26:20, nevinp007 wrote:
Xperia ray's price in india is 21600 rupees. (389 american dollars)


Xperia Ray Price Range including Tax[INDIA]
Rs.18,500 local store
Rs.18995 flipkart.com
Rs-19,500 univercell.in

Ranging from $380+
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2011-09-27 19:45 ]



Same rate in Thailand as well, very reasonable price tag!

Posted by nevinp007

On 2011-09-27 20:43:18, smclion102 wrote:

On 2011-09-27 12:26:20, nevinp007 wrote:
Xperia ray's price in india is 21600 rupees. (389 american dollars)


Xperia Ray Price Range including Tax[INDIA]
Rs.18,500 local store
Rs.18995 flipkart.com
Rs-19,500 univercell.in

Ranging from $380+
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2011-09-27 19:45 ]


Where in india is it being sold for 18500? Do you know whether the Livesound headset is included?


Posted by jplacson
Xperia ray Initial Review up!

This is not an in-depth technical review. This is a general review based on the 4 days I've had the ray. The coming days will deal with each feature in comparison to my X10 Mini Pro as a baseline phone, my iPod Touch 4 as a music player, and my Lumix ZS3 PS as a baseline camera.

Posted by Arne Anka

On 2011-09-28 02:33:08, jplacson wrote:
@altemyr, that's the normal warranty here in the Philippines.


Store warranty or manufacturer warranty ? In Sweden stores usually gives just one year warranty while manufacturers gives you two year warranty (except Apple).



Posted by bronxdude

On 2011-09-28 13:25:36, Arne Anka wrote:

On 2011-09-28 02:33:08, jplacson wrote:
@altemyr, that's the normal warranty here in the Philippines.


Store warranty or manufacturer warranty ? In Sweden stores usually gives just one year warranty while manufacturers gives you two year warranty (except Apple).




manufacturers warranty. only has 1-year warranty here

Posted by bronxdude
http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_ray-review-649.php

Ray review from GSMArena.

Posted by jplacson

On 2011-09-28 13:25:36, Arne Anka wrote:

On 2011-09-28 02:33:08, jplacson wrote:
@altemyr, that's the normal warranty here in the Philippines.


Store warranty or manufacturer warranty ? In Sweden stores usually gives just one year warranty while manufacturers gives you two year warranty (except Apple).




1-year warranty here in the Philippines.

Posted by smclion102

On 2011-09-28 07:52:38, nevinp007 wrote:

On 2011-09-27 20:43:18, smclion102 wrote:

On 2011-09-27 12:26:20, nevinp007 wrote:
Xperia ray's price in india is 21600 rupees. (389 american dollars)


Xperia Ray Price Range including Tax[INDIA]
Rs.18,500 local store
Rs.18995 flipkart.com
Rs-19,500 univercell.in

Ranging from $380+
[ This Message was edited by: smclion102 on 2011-09-27 19:45 ]


Where in india is it being sold for 18500? Do you know whether the Livesound headset is included?



Local Mobile store in Bangalore .. No you get the Normal Ear Phones.
i have used the demo phone its very fast and love it.. Its just perfect Size and shape feels very light and looks solid.

--
In box content in INDIA
Phone
Normal In-Ear Ear phones
Screen guard
USB Charger
4GB Memory Card
Some manuals ..

Posted by OffLineR
Question of the year?

I have a white X10 and I want to buy a Ray.
Which color would you prefer??

This is a though question

Posted by argiriano

On 2011-09-29 14:21:31, OffLineR wrote:
Question of the year?

I have a white X10 and I want to buy a Ray.
Which color would you prefer??

This is a though question


If you like the white version of X10, you have to check the white back cover Ray. For me it was always between black and gold... but I chose black because of the ruberized back cover. Colorfull variants has glossy plastic, but for you it would not be an issue, as the X10 was the same.

Posted by Zzzyzx
Guys what can you say about GSM Arena's review of the Ray. They weren't particularly thrilled with the audio quality of Ray and they even said it wasn't as good as the recent XPERIA devices they have reviewed (i.e., the mini?).

Posted by jplacson
Zzzyzx, a few things were a bit off in the gsmarena review... "All plastic" "Ambient Light sensor" "Anti glare screen" don't sound like the ray at all.

In all honesty... it's very easy to nitpick. Anyone can gripe about EVERY SINGLE LITTLE FLAW. I've tried the Galaxy S2 as well, and if I wanted to, I can come up with a long list of complaints as well. It's all relative to what you're looking for in a phone.

On topic, audio quality is quite clean, I've heard worse from other handsets... BUT... output is very weak. I'd recommend using a headphone amp and an efficient pair of cans.
[ This Message was edited by: jplacson on 2011-09-29 14:21 ]


Posted by Zzzyzx
Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by (audio) output?

Posted by jplacson
no worries, it means volume

Posted by HxH
I have played with the ray today and I quite impressive about it size and weight also display up is very please as well.
This 100g handset is very good for it weight unlike w705 almost same weight but very weird feeling in hand.

But loud speaker is quite not on par when you stay in very open space; auditorium hall for example.
hope vibration works well enough, because recently handset has low level of vibration.
I have tried to test it in service mode but not successful.




Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Click to view updated thread with images


© Esato.com - From the Esato mobile phone discussion forum